Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-03-2009, 03:35 AM   #121
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrog View Post
Turrog my friend, you're great! THANKS a bunch, really!

AND to add a nice cherry to this wonderful morning - Michal Benes has updated his engine! You can check it here:

http://www.wonderland.cz/lotr/

And top of all - someone was nice enough to make a Windows build - so there's no excuse (if there ever was one) not to try this game.

Last edited by LaFey; 15-03-2009 at 03:45 AM.
LaFey is offline                         Send a private message to LaFey
Old 15-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #122
jniemann42

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarung View Post
Also, does anyone know if the words of power Beren, Elbereth and Angmar are used for anything?
Elbereth will remove one Nazgul from a fight (they abandon the battle). I remember when you get "Angmar" I think the game says "say ANGMAR to the stone apart", but I don't remember what stone that refers to (probably used on Weathertop), and can't remember what BEREN does either off the top of my head. I'll post it if I remember...
jniemann42 is offline                         Send a private message to jniemann42
Old 16-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #123
jniemann42

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarung View Post
Also, does anyone know if the words of power Beren, Elbereth and Angmar are used for anything?
Turrog's site has the answer for ANGMAR! which teleports you from a stone on Weathertop to a crypt (I don't remember it being that useful).
http://web.comhem.se/~u19128212/3f.htm

It also mentions using the BEREN! word of power in conjunction with the Hawkeye quest:
http://web.comhem.se/~u19128212/4b.htm

His walkthrough also mentions the 7th deep of Moria with the island surrounded by lava; I don't remember anything being on it and just walking to it killed off half my party.
jniemann42 is offline                         Send a private message to jniemann42
Old 17-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #124
jniemann42

I remember another question I wanted to ask; what's the deal with the Smith's ring? You find it in Old Man Willow and when you take it the tree starts flooding forcing you to escape. I'm going from memory here, but it doesn't seem like you could equip it, you'd have to trade your items to other people until it was the first thing you had in your inventory to be able to equip it, and equipping other items (like armor) would un-equip the Smith's ring. It also seemed like it would kill enemies with one hit (but I only gave it to people I didn't care about in case they were killed since I couldn't have them wearing armor and using the ring at the same time).

From reading Turrog's walkthrough, it seems like you can re-forge the ring later, which I don't remember doing. Does anyone know what effect re-forging the ring has or remember anything about the Smith's ring?
Old 17-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #125
Glarung
Default Smiths ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniemann42 View Post
I remember another question I wanted to ask; what's the deal with the Smith's ring? You find it in Old Man Willow and when you take it the tree starts flooding forcing you to escape. I'm going from memory here, but it doesn't seem like you could equip it, you'd have to trade your items to other people until it was the first thing you had in your inventory to be able to equip it, and equipping other items (like armor) would un-equip the Smith's ring. It also seemed like it would kill enemies with one hit (but I only gave it to people I didn't care about in case they were killed since I couldn't have them wearing armor and using the ring at the same time).

From reading Turrog's walkthrough, it seems like you can re-forge the ring later, which I don't remember doing. Does anyone know what effect re-forging the ring has or remember anything about the Smith's ring?
I couldn't tell you what its officially used for, but when that one orc demands the ring I gave him the Smith's ring. He later showed up in Moria where I killed him and recieved another The One Ring. I have tested it 3 times and it seems to be consistent. It might just be my game though. /shrug I am running it off the original cd that I got back in the early 90s.

Old 20-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #126
Turrog

Re the lava pool on the 7th deep of Moria: there is no island in the middle IIRC, just a shaft. If you teleport there you fall to your death. Perhaps there is a lavafall too, I don't know... I can't walk on the lava in my version of the game. As it says in my walkthrough the terrain effects take precedence and kill you even when the script should protect you. A similar thing happens in the cave in Bree. There may be version differences though. Did you use Michal's engine?

Glarung: Interesting that you got the One Ring back from the uruk who killed Drishnak. The way the script is written, you can give Drishnak either the The Ring, Smith's ring, or the signet ring, and then get it back on the 2nd deep. See my walkthrough. However you cannot actually trade the One Ring to anyone, not in the versions of the game I have at any rate -- the game won't let you! If you can get a second One Ring in some versions of the game, it is clearly a bug that they fixed.

Glad you like my pages! They should be reasonably complete; everything that is in the game script should be in there, including uses of the Smith's ring and stuff. Effects such as increased damage or protection are not in there, though, since they are not in the scripts.
Turrog is offline                         Send a private message to Turrog
Old 23-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #127
Glarung

Quote:
There may be version differences though. Did you use Michal's engine?
Nope, I'm just using the regular cd version that I have. I got it in 1993-94 if that helps. Who knows, it is kind of old and a little scratched, maybe some of the files got mixed up.

Also, you're right, the second One Ring wasn't tradeable! So if anyone else can pull this off, give it to someone you like and are going to keep.

Too bad about the lava room. Guess we'll never know whats down there.

Old 25-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #128
Turrog

Changed the path slightly. The files are here:
http://web.comhem.se/fradmo/lrpc/
Turrog is offline                         Send a private message to Turrog
Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #129
mlh

Quote:
Changed the path slightly. The files are here:
http://web.comhem.se/fradmo/lrpc/
man thank you. i looked for hours to find a map and couldnt. funny thing is i have the manual somewhere in storage when i dig it out i will scan and post it for everyone

Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #130
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
when i dig it out i will scan and post it for everyone
That's something we really like to hear.