Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

Hi all,

Yeah I know this site is dedicated to DOS games but I was hoping maybe some of you Technical savvy Abandonianites could tell me if you know a way that I can get some of the older games I have to work without buying another PC with an older Operating System.

I have alot of games and applications that work with 256 colors and older operating system like Imperialism and Myst. My computer can't seem to make the older stuff work so I was wondering if maybe they had a way to adapt it like DOS box or maybe a way to tweak Windows XP so that they would work.

Thanks in advance for the help

Doc
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 29-06-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Flop
Hero Gamer

Well, some games just won't work on some systems (like Grim Fandango). I don't know all that much about getting win95 games to run in XP, but one thing you should make sure of is that you have service pack one, at least, since the compatability mode didn't work properly before that (some would say it still doesn't work properly, but it's a lot better than it was).

Other than that, I don't know. A dualboot system would do the trick, but it's a lot of hassle just for playing a game IMO.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 29-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

Yeah that or I might have to just get an old cheapy computer from a second hand store or something and get Windows 98 on it if I want to use it to play I guess..hoping to find another way though (fingers crossed)
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 30-06-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Some things run fine (Operation: Inner Space, NetStorm) others need (sometimes third-party) patches (SMAC) and some are often impossible to run (System Shock 2 is the most disappointing). Compatibility mode is your best bet, then google.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 30-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

And if the compatibility mode fails, then try using Virtual PC. IT did the trick for me in two seemingly hopeless cases, but is sooo goddamn slow...

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

Thanks for the suggestions the three of you I will see what I can do to get these old ones working again k:
Old 30-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Also you might try other emulator software. I heard good stuff on BOCHS, but for some reason it failed to work with Win98SE disc for me.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

I'm also interested in getting pre XP games to work well. I haven't tried System Shock 2 or Grim Fandango yet, but I know for a fact that Feeble Files is extremely hard to get working without Win 98. I'm gonna try Virtual PC when I get some time over though.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 30-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, changing the properties of exe file to run in Win95 or Win98 mode did help me out. SYSTEM SHOCK2 WORKS! k:
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 30-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Lucky bugger - some people get it going, others never do.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone