Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Default Something is trying to get out...

My computer is currently behaving strangely. For some reason, its appearantly trying to connect to the internet, which I dont have. Sometimes, it random brings up a message that It couldnt connect to the internet and then there were choices "Try again" & "Work offline".

What could it be? Possibly some sort of virus or maybe spyware? I recently got couple of non-cd cracks and some games with my mp3 player (which can be used as a memory stick).
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 23-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Run the task manager, and even though it's laborous, check every single running process via the machine that is online. Just google the exe name and look for anything suspicious.

Also: There are a few files that often are infected/lobotomized/duplicated when the pc has been infected: One such file is the rundll32.exe whis is located in the system32 folder. I don't remember what size it's supposed to have, but search for rundll32.exe files on your computer and chech it's only found in the system32 folder, and google it's size.
Old 23-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

it doesn't have to be spyware, could be some program registration.
run msconfig and check the startup objects. thoug, when deleting i recommend doing it via regedit
Old 23-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

I have had clients using interent explorer experience the same thing. It usually is the Internet Explorer properties that are the culprit. This may apply to you depending on what browser and version you use.

Open internet explorer then click on tools, then internet options then the connections tab. If you have a dial up connection defined, select the "never dial a connection" radio button and then apply.

There are many programs that will try to open a browser window. IE can be very persistent in trying to establish an internet connection even sometimes when it isn't obvious why it would need to.
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 29-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
jg007
Super Freak

right click internet explorer, select properties then connections and click on the ' never dial a connection ' option.

also good idea to download spybot ( and the update files as u have no inet access ) and run that on the PC.

Also try Autoruns by sysinternals but be carefull when using it !

lol DOH, should have read the post abive me

Last edited by jg007; 29-12-2007 at 11:33 AM.
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007