Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #51
Akira
Forum hobbit

Question

Cool game! But is there a way to simply restart?
Also, I can't seem to exit the game with any commands... "quit" or "exit" doesn't work. Do I have to get further into the game before I can quit or something? Help please
Akira is offline                         Send a private message to Akira
Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #52
MattShizzle

I had this game back in the day - way too difficult. This, like most games of the time where you had to eat and drink, went way overboard with it - ie if you miss lunch you die.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #53
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Cool game! But is there a way to simply restart?
Also, I can't seem to exit the game with any commands... "quit" or "exit" doesn't work. Do I have to get further into the game before I can quit or something? Help please
Amnesia was/is a booter which means you exit the game with a reboot which is equivalent to quitting DOSbox. (Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.) See Quick Reference extra.

You can create a dedicated shortcut to automatically start DOSbox and start the game that makes restarting the game fairly painless.

1. Copy the dosbox.conf file to another name such as amnesia.conf.

2. Edit the autoexec section of the new conf file to do the necessary mounting, get in the right directory and to start the game.

3. Create a shortcut to DOSbox and modify the properties of it to include a space, the -conf switch and the path to the new conf file at the end of the "Target" property. The entire "target" should look like this ...

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\amnesia.conf"

4. Rename the shortcut to whatever you want.

Clicking the new shortcut will bring up the game quickly. To save a game type "save game" from the game screen and to load a saved game restart the game and take that option when it is presented.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor

Last edited by Geezer; 08-03-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #54
Akira
Forum hobbit

Okay, thanks!
Am enjoying the game so far (I'm impressed with its vocabulary!), though I keep dallying too much and getting shot, lol
Akira is offline                         Send a private message to Akira
Old 09-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #55
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

There is a hints section in the manual if it gets a little sticky.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Old 25-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #56
UK-John
Default Geezer - what a Geezer you are!!!!!

Geezer, although it's 9 months since my last post I just want to say a HUGE thanks for putting up all the extra documentation, which in this game is really needed! I have the C64 disk, but you cannot get anywhere in the game with the docs and so I just forgot about the game as I could not find it anywhere with the docs!

I go to Lemon64 and happen to see Amnesia, so take a look and someone has said 'can't do anything with this game without the docs so go to this 'www link', the link brings me here, and there I see ALL the documentation!!!! This is what I have been waiting about 5 years for!!! Was even toying with the idea of spending £18 ($30) on an Apple IIe version 'cos it had the docs!!!

So thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! I can now, after 15 years plus, restart this game with the knowledge that I have everything I need to play the game - thanks to you!!!!

Old 25-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #57
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Glad I could help. There are quite a few games on Abandonia that are hard to play without the manual. That's what got me started doing this. It gets kinda tedious sometimes but it is always cool to see a "complete" game to get a more real sense of what it was like to open up that box.
Old 22-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #58
GuestWithABadPC
Unhappy Help me Geezer!!!

I have a x64-bit computer running Windows Vista... I downloaded the .zip file, but the game won't run, wtf do I do? I've wanted to play this game for the first time in 20 years!! Help me Geezer... You're my only hope...

Old 23-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #59
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Well you are going to need to use Dosbox to run this game, like many on this site. Read this if you need help with Dosbox or are unfamilar with Dos commands.... Dosbox tutorial. Let us know if you have any problems after that.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 23-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #60
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestWithABadPC View Post
I have a x64-bit computer running Windows Vista... I downloaded the .zip file, but the game won't run, wtf do I do? I've wanted to play this game for the first time in 20 years!! Help me Geezer... You're my only hope...
I am on XP and it seems to run ok on that. You can run it in DOSBox as DH suggested. Otherwise, you will have to be more specific about what happens when you start it.