Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-09-2005, 11:19 PM   #31
Fanton

I think that the beauty of this game is that there are so many things you CAN'T do. For example selecting multiple units. It is annoying in the beginning, but once you start selecting units manually it comes naturally. Things that come easy are nice in the beginning but then you get bored fast. Dune 2 is a very very good game.

I've read most of the posts. Here are my suggestions

Atreides:
Contrary to what people say, they have more technologies than anyone else. They have three specials: sonic tank, ornithopter, and fremen. (three specials)

I think atreides don't have troopers, but I am not shure.

The sonic tank shoots faster when the game speed is higher. I think this has never been fixed.

Build walls around the Repair Facility so that no unit can be dropped out directly. The carryall will carry the unit back after is repaired.

Don't send fremens one at a time, wait until you have several troops (5,6) then attack. They will do massive damage. Try to put fremens over rocks so that tanks cannot squash them. The worms rarely kill fremens since they are invisible. Most of the atreides units are less likely to get killed by worms.

Harkonnen:
They have a lot of firepower. The nicest thing is the palace and the deathhand missle (i think is called). I never played Harkonnen too much, it was too easy, so I never really used deathand missle too much.

Devastator is good, but takes forever to move. Do not leave devastator near your own base, when they die, they will kill your own units. If devastator is on red, and you cannot repair it, move it out of the crows, otherwise you will loose more units.

Ordos:
Ordos only have two specials, the saboteur and the deviator. The ornithopter it is taken from starport and it's not their own tech, the same with seige tank. So Ordos have the fewest technologies. I'm not shure if Atriedes or Ordos miss the trooper and/or quads.

The raider sucks but is fast. Use it for scouting.

The startport is your main place here. They have sige tanks and ornithopters in the startport.

The deviator tank is not that great. But you can use it to steal units permanently. I am not shure how, but if you steal an injured unit and repair it, you might convert that unit permanently. I am not shure though.

You can use a deviator to steal an enemy harvester and take it's spice. Your carryall will think the harvester is ready to go and will take it, drop it to your base, take the spice, and put it back, and several seconds later the harvester returns to the enemy side :P You can see how full a harvester is by clicking on it, and looking in the info area, will say something like "75% full and harvesting." It does that for your and the enemy harvesters.

Game in general:
Do not scout in the beginning of the game. Let them attack you. After you find their base they will sends throngs of units.

Always build bases on concrete slabs, they will deteriorate slower, and less to repair in the end.

Try to harvers fields that are father away first, and leave the ones closer to you for the end of the game. This will make the enemy bring their harvester near your base, and you can easily kill their crops.

Always attack silos first. Try to capture silos or refineries because you will get their spice into your pool. If you managed to capture a refinery quickly spend all you have, if they destroy it or get it back, you have lost no spice. You get credits if you kill their refineries or silos.

Turrents don't work without power. So destroying all their generators will put their entire base to a halt. I am not shure about this, but I think turrets will stop working if they don't have power. Althogh I am not shure.

Enemies rarely destroy walls. Try to create a bunch of walls to guide their movements. For example have five turrets concentrated to one place, and walls that lead to that area.

The AI always attacks in this order (or somewhat) the Startport first, the Heavy Factory or Hi-Tech Factory second, and the Light Factory last. They don't care about other stuff.

Every time you build something important the enemy will attack by droping units behind your base. It's actually based on time as well. Sometimes your carryalls may drop enemy units, or the other way around. Same with units that have been "deviated."

You can banish worms by killing them. You don't actually kill a worm, it only goes away reappearing after some time. When it comes back, it will be faster and meaner. If you do that so many times, the worm becomes extra fast. On the other hand, you can feed the worm cheap units. After a worm consumes a couple of units it will create a bump of spice. Shoot that and you have more spice. It's called spice boom (the announcer says "spice boom located").

Heavy weaponry destroys spice, so don't fight over spice areas with heavy tanks. The spice squares will be gone forever.

If you can reach the enemy base then extend squares and build a turret near their base. The turrets don't kill one another, but they only kill bases or units. You could ask your turret to attack the enemy one, and I think the other will not retaliate. If you build a turet over where an enemy one was, the enemy cannot rebuild, or your turret might spontaneously go on the enemy's side.

Old 27-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #32
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Fanton some things :

-u donīt control fremen in origonal Dune II, u just call for a fremen attack.

-Atreides hasnīt troopers.

-The worms attack movement... no matter from who, only fremen arenīt detected by worms.

-Harkonens doesnīt got trikes and infantry.

-Ordos got most tech than others, from game you get that they always stealth them but who cares?

-They got the Raider an stronger and faster trike, but they didnīt got the Quad.

-Capture isnīt that easy, in fact, i get that i can make captures playing Ordos (i ended the game with Harkonen and Atreides first). You do it by sending infantry or troopers inside enemies buldings, when the building hasnīt any life left, it goes on your side with 0,000001 energy (watch out if you capture an empty silo and AI blowit, you will lose spice normaly).

Quote:
he AI always attacks in this order (or somewhat) the Startport first, the Heavy Factory or Hi-Tech Factory second, and the Light Factory last. They don't care about other stuff.
-Me too, for centre mass attacks first targets: builder, startport and heavy factory.
-You can make a sneaky attack by moving by the side with many launcher and attack from distance, the AI, only will attack you if you come too near or if u attack an enemy unit.

-Nice tipe the one of stealth the enemy harvaster, i will try it LOL

-Too the last level, Harkonen can win it normaly... Atreides must to survive until the end of spice, destroy the palace of emperor and harkonen and start to attack with sonic tanks, they move quick and got a little more range than other tanks and towers... so a sonic wave + retreat... i make it with only a sonic tank, a tower and the palace, all you need is luck. But with ordos, i canīt get to the last level and this is the third time that i try.
Old 21-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #33
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Oct 21 2005, 12:45 AM

Well, spice itīs like oil now, iron and others are also important but oil itīs the god of economy.
And fremen are the worts palaceīs special, anyway, they are usefull when spice ended, you only may defend and fremen will make the work, maybe it takes a milenium....
i find the Fremen quite usefull. why? well they attack from behind in black territory and if the enemy wants to defend it has to send some vehicles towards them.

This means their defences weaken in the front area (i.e. lower firepower) - and thats when sonic tanks come into play. by the time they are done wiht freemen you probabyl wipe out much of their defences so all you need to do is take care of remaining ones. not to mention that computer always repairs his buildings up to full = damage done by fremen costs them money. they can do quite a lof of damage until the vehicle arrives to destroy them.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 21-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #34
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
I recall that if you should your destroy own full harvester you get enoguh spice to fill 5 harvesters.
I didnīt know that it was so spice, anyway in the last level i was beging for the end of the spice.

Quote:
If not little more than that. As far as I remember, I noticed that enemy still gets little amounts of credits from time to time when they have no spice to harvest anymore.
Anyway thay are no more a treat when spice is over, only send cheaps units that are destroyed before get in range for attack

Quote:
i find the Fremen quite usefull. why? well they attack from behind in black territory and if the enemy wants to defend it has to send some vehicles towards them.

This means their defences weaken in the front area (i.e. lower firepower) - and thats when sonic tanks come into play. by the time they are done wiht freemen you probabyl wipe out much of their defences so all you need to do is take care of remaining ones. not to mention that computer always repairs his buildings up to full = damage done by fremen costs them money. they can do quite a lof of damage until the vehicle arrives to destroy them.
Just a tank or a harvaster can end with the fremen menace and the enemy always got defence in the sides and back. They donīt send replacements or reinforcements. Anyway the back is less guarded but i prefer to attack it myself and no with fremens, i donīt make front attcks normaly. Fremen are usefull but i prefer a saboteur that can blow a builing if backuped or the hand of the death.
Old 22-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #35
*Happy*

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Oct 22 2005, 03:26 AM
ALL, the three houses can build the tamks, siege tanks and rocket launchers... too much handicap if not.
I'm quite sure Ordos don't get Missile Tanks (except from Starports, of course), unless this was changed in a new version/patch of the game. This very fact made them the hardest house to play.

As for the Saboteur, do you really need him once you have already blown a huge hole in your opponents defences? But since he's free, i guess you do have a point - it's just that he's significantly less useful than the other house's Palace units.

Old 23-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #36
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Ordos have the Neuralizer Missile Tank, which make them one of the funniest (and easiest if you know what you are doing) faction to play.
Old 15-11-2005, 02:01 AM   #37
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
NOT JUST "MAKE AN ARMY, SELECT ALL, CLICK THEM TO ENEMY BASE, DESTROY AND WIN.
I am sure that frontal assaulting didnīt work too well here but u make quite sould description of dune 2
Old 03-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #38

Greatest. Game. Ever.

Dune 2 brings back fond memories of my 386 PC. I'm still surprised how much strategy this game requires, especially compared to the C&C's. There is no unit that is the most useful, and a simple rush won't beat the mission. You have to be smart about building and harvesting, send reinforcements in waves, and know when to fall back and regroup. Truly a masterpiece.

Also I have to point out the great audio in this game. If you're running in "Soundblaster" or "Soundblaster Pro" mode, you're missing out on the wonderful "Adlib" sounds. Install VDMS and try it.

Old 16-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #39
SupSuper
Games Master

There's a manual here: http://dune2k.com/?page=duniverse-duneII&s...b18e9ee8162f879
Just look up the respective unit/structure.
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 24-01-2006, 04:26 AM   #40

Dont know if this question has been asked before, but is the movement in the game naturally slow? The sound quality is perfect as well as everything else. But i find that the light infatry troops take ages to move from one area to the next. And there are long pauses between the shots being fired during combat. Is this normal?