Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #11

Agreed. I tried UA for the first time as abandonware two years ago, and with just a quick google session I realized that with some effort (getting some new media, editing some stuff with UA shell, etc.) you could get an interesting game. The golden box engine was quite dated by the time it was released, however.

Old 17-07-2006, 02:54 AM   #12

This is one of the best RPG maker programs out there. this game is not just a game per se, it's called 'Unlimited Adventure' not just for the sample game that they put with the program (and a bad sample at that...). it's called Unlimited Adventure because you could literally make unlimited adventures with this here nifty program. And luckily I have found the haven for such adventures. Somebody out there has been making mods for this game out of the classic AD&D pen & paper modules. They even have recreated 'Pool of Radiance' and its sequel 'Curse of the Azure Bonds' for FRUA....truly the adventures are only limited by your imaginations......visit here for interesting tidbits about this great program: http://frua.rosedragon.org

Old 17-07-2006, 03:30 AM   #13

I can't believe you gave this a 2 out of 5. This game deserves at least a 4. I'd give it a 5. You can't review an old game on an abandonware site based on the standards of today. Still, I enjoy playing these games now. The entire SSI Gold Box series of games were all excellent, and this gives you powerful tools to make your own quality adventures. It can't be understated how well the toolset works. It's easy to use and once you get the hang of it, you can make excellent scenarios. I was working on an awesome campaign with it when I got it back when it came out. I had a whole elaborate game planned out. It was the Mac version and unfortunately when Apple upgraded their processors to PowerPC, certain games that used the old sound drivers stopped playing sound on newer computers, and this was one of them. The other problem I had was even though you could import your own graphics, the graphics could only be 256 colors and could only be from a standard palette. The main problem with that which I never figured out was that it seems the graphics in the game itself do not use a standard palette, so if you take a picture from an older game and try to use it in the new game, the colors won't came out right. A minor problem. This was an excellent way to end the series of games and it definitely deserves a higher score. In a way, it was the first Neverwinter Nights and I wish I could spent more time with it back in the day. If you're a fan of the classic SSI Gold Box games, you should get this and learn to play with the toolset. And if you're a fan of classic games in general, you should get it too if you have any appreciation for retro games.

Old 17-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #14
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Jul 16 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]243487[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
LOL Good one, man.
[/b]
haha I hope that was sarcastic :-/

yeah ua is great, I had a hell of a fun time playing through classic AD&D modules (like the temple of elemental evil, queen of the demonweb pits, the ghost tower of inverness, the sinister secret of saltmarsh) and it also has some cool stuff, like modules based on Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Vampire: the Dark Ages, and even RPG adaptions of the first issue of Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol and issue 1 of Mirage's original black and white Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic. Obviously the guy booted it up, got killed, thought "halp the sprites aren't like the kyoot snes final fantasy onez!!!!" and then gave it a bad review because he'd rather be playing Star Fantasy: Legend of the Knight Warrior or something.

Quote:
having played some modern RPGs[/b]
see, I was right

modern = console

"jrpgs" are vile, but that's not even the main issue. what were you guys thinking? "oh we have a theme week going on so let's just put whatever piece of crap our dude pumped out at 5 AM up on the site" :-/
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 17-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #15
Mongi

Ahh... Everything that was said so far both about this great game and quality of the review is very true indeed... Gamebringer really should be more, well, attentive and explorative.

Old 17-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #16
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ gamebringer) [snapback]243489[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
i'm curious how old you are? i'd guess somewhere in the teens, for it's pretty obvious that you have no patience to do a through and through test and exploration of the game you were given to review, or point of reference to old dos games.[/b]
You're wrong, he isn't.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 17-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #17
bruno
Home Sweet Abandonia

ok, you guys maybe don´t like the way the review was made, but this is not the way to improve the review, you guys don´t need to attack so badly the Gamebringer, i think it´s better you guys try to help changing the parts you all don´t agree, instead attacking the reviewer, because i think he try to do the best review avaiable. :angry:
bruno is offline                         Send a private message to bruno
Old 17-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #18
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(little fish @ Jul 17 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]243566[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
ok, you guys maybe don�t like the way the review was made, but this is not the way to improve the review, you guys don�t need to attack so badly the Gamebringer, i think it�s better you guys try to help changing the parts you all don�t agree, instead attacking the reviewer, because i think he try to do the best review avaiable. :angry:
[/b]
sorry to flame you up, but his review sucked, both in grammar, and in his way of saying things about the whole SSI game category, that made us pissed off, and well I don't consider it a wonder, why we got offended.

Sorry for saying this, but I think he didn't do a great job, at all. My thoughts are, if he worked for me, he should have done a serious research into the whole SSI game genre, around FRUA. And by the way, to me he is fired !

I think he sabred the whole game, in a very bad way, that made us think he was an immature teenager.

I come from a country, where the people, are notorious for speaking a bad English. But my English, is better both in grammar, and in context, than his review was.

And by the way, I am writing reviews about the retro video game show, called RetroCore, and that show is made by Yakumo.

And I think my reviews are better, both in grammar, and in context than this game review is.

Sorry , that I am bellying up , some acid. But I think those who said their opinion about the review. Is in their own very good right, to point out what he did. Since he did a very bad job, reviewing that game. And then making a character called GameBringer, and putting it into FRUA ? sorry but that is just pure bollocks.

Last edited by WolverineDK; 09-05-2011 at 11:32 AM.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 17-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #19
Guest_Shoelip_*

Interesting, I just registered here and I can only post (Only even view the entire forums) when I'm not logged in, LOL.

Ah well, I'm not going to add to the comments on the review, but I will say that I looked all over for the patch and finally found it on Filefront. Here

Also, anyone got the copy protection codes for it, they're in the same style and the Krynn games. Asking for a word from the Manual on a specific page and line.

Old 17-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #20
Marinkorpse

According to all this information this review should be reviewed
Talking seriously, those who want to correct this can write another review or just talk with gamebringer to make it more accurate. And last, let's not be so hard on this guy, he is trying to help.
Marinkorpse is offline                         Send a private message to Marinkorpse