Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Default Klondike Pro

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
Old 16-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
greywolf

Edit: I just noticed that there is another Klondike thread on this forum (go to the "Similar Threads" section below). This thread gives some more background to the version / freeware issue of Klondike Pro. I myself have discovered Klondike Pro only today and played a couple of hands of version 2.5 without any problems.
My comment below may still be interesting - at least for people who don't know how to run Klondike Pro.

Original Comment:

It would be nice if the reviewer updated his / her game description. I followed the link to the homepage of Klondike Pro and saw that the version is 2.5 and appears to be an enhanced and complete freeware version (compared with 2.1).

Further, if you download and install the zip file there, you can't simply run the application. It uses Dosbox via a bat file (start2.bat) and a config file (dosbox.con), and you have to edit both files to point to your installation directory (using Notepad, for example).
More precisely: You have to replace the default c:\KPro_253 by your own installation directory, once in each of the two files (or you install to c:\KPro_253, then you can start Klondike Pro using start2.bat as is).

One more observation: Klondike Pro uses Dosbox 0.72, but should work with 0.74 without a problem (but possibly without any noticeable advantage :-)).

Have fun!

Last edited by greywolf; 16-03-2014 at 07:51 AM.
greywolf is offline                         Send a private message to greywolf
Old 18-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Well technically the main download should be version 2.5, while 2.1 is offered as extras.
Old 15-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Tanara Kuranov

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Edit: I just noticed that there is another Klondike thread on this forum (go to the "Similar Threads" section below). This thread gives some more background to the version / freeware issue of Klondike Pro. I myself have discovered Klondike Pro only today and played a couple of hands of version 2.5 without any problems.
My comment below may still be interesting - at least for people who don't know how to run Klondike Pro.

Original Comment:

It would be nice if the reviewer updated his / her game description. I followed the link to the homepage of Klondike Pro and saw that the version is 2.5 and appears to be an enhanced and complete freeware version (compared with 2.1).

Further, if you download and install the zip file there, you can't simply run the application. It uses Dosbox via a bat file (start2.bat) and a config file (dosbox.con), and you have to edit both files to point to your installation directory (using Notepad, for example).
More precisely: You have to replace the default c:\KPro_253 by your own installation directory, once in each of the two files (or you install to c:\KPro_253, then you can start Klondike Pro using start2.bat as is).

One more observation: Klondike Pro uses Dosbox 0.72, but should work with 0.74 without a problem (but possibly without any noticeable advantage :-)).

Have fun!
Yes, 2.5 APPEARS to be a freeware version. If you run the program from the zip that's straight from the site, just wait, you reach Gold Fellow, and it will ask you to pay. Even though it says its freeware. My guess is the registration screen got taken out, but the save file isn't set as registered by default.

I went into how I registered the game in the original forum topic. Basically, you put your save file from 2.5 into the folder of 2.1 (PLAYERK1.YOU and, I believe, VDATA.YOU), and register it, simply by typing in the same number that appears on the registration window. Yeah, the registration code is really that easy. Then put those files back in the 2.5 folder. There you go. That's why I included 2.1 in the first place...it's required to get 2.5 to recognize you as registered! I went over this in the original forum topic, they didn't include it in the extra notes, I guess.

You don't have to use the batch file, you can just mount the folder Klondike Pro is in with Dosbox and run the application from there. And, yes, it works just the same in 0.74 as 0.72, as far as I know.

Edit: The download from here is a fresh, registered file, though. These steps are only necessary if you decide that you want a save file with your own name on it.

Also, I think the thread I really went into detail on it was my original Offers thread. http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...londike&page=3 Screenshot and all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TanaraKuranov

Last edited by Tanara Kuranov; 15-04-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Tanara Kuranov is offline                         Send a private message to Tanara Kuranov