Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
ullteppe

(ok, my second post here.... :w00t: )

What methods besides 'screen print' do people use to get screen prints (jpg etc) ?

I'm using irfanview with some games, seems to work fine.
But many games does not support screen print in that manner.

- System shock 2
- Master of Orion 2
- others ?

Using pure dos 6.22, I've tried the oh-so-elusive "Action Replay" card(made by Datel) for the PC(!), 8-bit ISA card.... (1994-5-ish)
Seems to work, sort of, with MOO2(but a P2 600mhz creates disturbance in upper part of pic, or maybe other reasons than speed ?, me clueless. Had a heck of time trying to configure that card, gave up and installed on a plug'n'play Abit BH6... which at least made it work)

Any other methods that will work, regardless of the game ?
Both in DOS and winXP.... ?

(or in any specific OS?)

-thx
ullteppe is offline                         Send a private message to ullteppe
Old 06-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

DOSBox's Ctrl+F5 command works wonders with DOS games
Old 08-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
ullteppe

Thanks for reply.

DosBox is OK, I suppose, but isn't there any other programs ?
I have to admit I've never tried the DosBox, there was never any need... and I can't be bothered to learn how to set it up etc(at least not quite yet), when I know that stuff/games works perfectly fine(with sound and all) on my very own DOS-box(6.22), or even in win98...

(and, System Shock 2 - would DosBox work with that ? I'm convinced it was a windows only game, but I may be wrong - even so, it would take a heck of a machine to run via DosBox)

As for nick, well... centuries ago(the last one), my email address was sneaking@wollyblanket.xxxx ...
(translated to english, that is...)
Old 08-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
bruno
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ullteppe @ Oct 8 2006, 11:19 PM) [snapback]260154[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Thanks for reply.

DosBox is OK, I suppose, but isn't there any other programs ?
I have to admit I've never tried the DosBox, there was never any need... and I can't be bothered to learn how to set it up etc(at least not quite yet), when I know that stuff/games works perfectly fine(with sound and all) on my very own DOS-box(6.22), or even in win98...

(and, System Shock 2 - would DosBox work with that ? I'm convinced it was a windows only game, but I may be wrong - even so, it would take a heck of a machine to run via DosBox)

As for nick, well... centuries ago(the last one), my email address was sneaking@wollyblanket.xxxx ...
(translated to english, that is...)
[/b]
You can download from the net a program called IRFANVIEW, it´s free, and can help you taking screenshots, it´s agood program and easy to wor k: k.
bruno is offline                         Send a private message to bruno
Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
ullteppe

umm... I appreciate the input, but ...
as mentioned in my first post above, I've already tried that one(irfanview, that is).
Old 09-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
JJXB
Pi-voh

on windows games, 9 times out of 10, fraps works fine for me
but it can work with dos games if used in conjunction with DOSBox in opengl NB renderer
I.E.:
under the [sdl] header in your config file change the output= to openglnb (with dosbox 0.65)

And i just captured this using fraps (from Warcraft 2 - DOSBOX)
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 09-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

Other people will advise you better about WinXP, and under DOSBox of course you shouldn't bother with anything beyond Ctrl+F5.

Now about pure DOS, that's not something all people have experience about, I've got some. The best alternative I tried myself (but then unlike for Windows there aren't that many programs for DOS) was a program called Screen Thief I think. You could google for it. You had to load it resident of course, since DOS was single-task, and then you pressed a configurable hotkey whenever you wanted to take a screenshot, of whatever you wished while the program was resident.

It didn't work always, but the only instance under it didn't as far as I know (which was a common instace however) was with games that used DOS4GW.EXE. You could take screenshots of those games and these were taken properly, provided EMM386.EXE (and maybe also HIMEM.SYS) were not loaded at the same time; it's explained in ST's help. That could be a huge problem, since most games modern enough to use DOS4GW.EXE needed HIMEM.SYS at the least. Maybe you could run a given game anyhow without sound only to take the screenshots? I don't know. Maybe there's another program for DOS which can work properly alongside DOS4GW.EXE

EDIT: By the way, I think the very same problem with DOS4GW.EXE was also present when using PrnScr under Windows (95/98 when the game could be run there).
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I agree with Japofran - Screen Thief is one of the better choices for pure DOS mode.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Any luck yet?
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 12-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
ullteppe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(win98 @ Oct 11 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]260736[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Any luck yet?
[/b]
Thanks for all the input :thanx:

No, sorry, haven't had time to check out Screen Thief yet.
And if you have to run it resident, I may have to do some more research on how that is done...
(me = not-quite-familiar-with bat files etc :blink: )

Anyway, the only version I've found so far is this one:
http://www.screenthiefsoft.com/atscrth_article.html

And it seems to be based on windows (??)

Or maybe it is this one ?:
http://home.att.net/~short.stop/freesoft/screen.htm
(a few pages down)

I have a hunch it is the second one above, but will check into this some time later....

Oh, and here's another 'fun' link:
http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/MS_DOS.htm

Edit:
umm, seems like there also is something called 'fraps' (?) mentioned in one the posts above - we'll look into that as well...