Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #21
dkw
Forum hobbit

The Incredible Machine, a Sierra game that tested your puzzle solving skills by creating strange contraptions with seemingly random parts.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Questprobe Featuring Human Torch & Thing
Possibly the first game that allowed you to switch between characters, therefore playing more than one character.

Maniac Mansion
The first point & click adventure game that allowed you to play as multiple characters.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 25-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #23
dkw
Forum hobbit

I know that I am performing "thread necromancy" but I have some more things to add to this thread, and would like to see others continue this thread.

Brigade Commander, beat Dune 2 to the punch for the title of FIRST Real Time Strategy game by 2 years.

Empire - Wargame of the Century was the first Turn Based Strategy game that was widely accepted, and proved that computer games could sell.

Scorched Tanks was the father of a style of game that many now recognize; Worms and Scorched Earth to name a few that were spawned from this.

I have to say it, even though it is not a game.
The AMIGA computers were created specifically as home gaming platforms that had superior graphics, more reliability, ease of use, dual processors, and had the FIRST Point and Click interface that existed when DOS was still in the early years.
Unfortunately, it was 15 years ahead of its time, and as a result, failed to catch on.
Old 27-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #24
Pendler
Lurker

Commander Blood - Pretty creative first-person adventure. I didn't really care much for its overemphasis on humor, but it certainly is an unusual gaming experience with very unique visuals and a clever interface.

Legacy - Kind of a unique blend of classic first person dungeon crawler and horror adventure. I still haven't seen anything quite like it. Closest thing would be Realms of the Haunting, I guess.

Metal Mutant - Strange puzzle platformer by the same people who made the Ishar series and Robinson's Requiem. Thrives on its strong atmosphere and gorgeous environments, though the bizarre gameplay mechanics and the clumsy control scheme are hard to get into.

Alter Ego - Life/Social simulation in the vein of Real Lives. Well, it was pretty unique back then.

The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary - Supposedly just an adventure game for kids with a few minigames thrown in, but there's something seriously wrong with this one:

Those are all I can think of for now.

By the way...
@dkw
Maybe you're only referring to the US market (which I don't really know much about), but in Europe, the Amiga line of home computers was actually quite popular. The Amiga 500 in particular was Commodore's second most successful computer model, outsold only by the immensely popular C64. You're right, though. Those machines really were ahead of their time and it's a shame that they didn't survive the 90s.
Pendler is offline                         Send a private message to Pendler
Old 27-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #25
dkw
Forum hobbit

The AMIGAs survived into the early 90s in the US as well. Then, they just disappeared competely. I still have my AMIGA 500, 600, 1000, and C64, with all the games, controllers, and cables buried in my closet.
There are still some people who use AMIGAs today, and they claim that the Art and Music software for the AMIGA is still superior to even the latest software available today.

Harpoon, I had forgotten about this one, and it actually came out 1 year before Brigade Commander. That makes it the first Real Time Strategy game.

Shuttle, a unique game idea where you get to fly the space shuttle into space, complete the mission, and return to earth. Just the game for all those wannabe astronaughts.