Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #281
Domomonkey

Any advice on the third Harkonen mission when fighting Ordos?

No matter what I do I vcan't make any headway on their base. The PC spews out units nonstop and repairs it's buildings so fast I can hardly make a dent.
Domomonkey is offline                         Send a private message to Domomonkey
Old 19-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #282
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It been way too long since I played this game so I cannot remember mission specifics... However, the first few missions are usually the easiest. You should not have too much problem taking the upper hand.

If you really cannot corner the AI then remember that there is always a fixed amount of spice on the map. The first thing you should do is build two refineries and sit tight until your develop your base and have enough units to make a strong attack. If you don't win in the first wave keep attacking them in waves and they will eventually fold to your superior money gathering power.
Old 20-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #283
me_lobo
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domomonkey View Post
Any advice on the third Harkonen mission when fighting Ordos?

No matter what I do I vcan't make any headway on their base. The PC spews out units nonstop and repairs it's buildings so fast I can hardly make a dent.
First of all, have at least two harvesters as mentioned above. Second, dont use trikes at all, just for exploration. Third, AI spews unit as you mentioned, but they barelly create a huge wave (only at the first contact) so post your defensive vehicles in reasonable numbers. Fourth, create rather large group of vehicles, go around your enemy base and alway try to lure the guards one by one. Your first target should be the enemy construction yard, ir he will replace the destroyed buildings (many times over your units).
This strategy wins most (probably all) maps of the game.
me_lobo is offline                         Send a private message to me_lobo
Old 20-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #284
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

^This
Let me add a thing, the AI isn't such complicate to understand, it's quite repetitive. Work on a "defensive wall" positioning vehicles where the enemy likes to strike.
The beginning of a mission is always the hardest part, once your defenses are ready and you have closed weak points you can start to annoy the enemy.
Remember to use a fast and expandable unit to explore the fog of war and locate the enemy, if you learn where they are you'll know where they come from
Old 20-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #285
Domomonkey

20 years ago when I first played this game I had no problem with it, I must have grown soft over the decades.

The mission I am talking about is as basic as it goes. It's against the Ordos. I can build Quads and Troopers. The object is to destroy their base, which is on the right side of the map just about parallel with my starting location.

So you are all saying to make a whole lot of units and move a wall up? I did it a little bit, moved all my guys to a small rock area that the AI would walk all it's guys through. It's when I get to the base that is's a problem. Maybe I will need to build more.

Should I just build quads up to the limit?
Domomonkey is offline                         Send a private message to Domomonkey
Old 20-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #286
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Building a wall of units and advancing them slowly isn't a very good idea, simply because if one unit is attacked, it will only get support fire from the few neighbouring units, and the AI, even if sending one unit at a time at you, will slowly drain your unit's health as you won't kill off attackers fast enough to minimize damage. You should rely on more micro and scatter your units (don't build Troopers except if you want to capture enemy buildings, they're too slow and weak, even with their superior range of attack) and then concentrate your fire on each enemy attacker by surrounding it with as many Quads of your own as possible. This way, you will quickly dispose of enemy units before they have a chance to deal significant damage to your attacking force. Also remember that a unit that stands directly north of its target deals maximum damage (yep, that's an exploit of sorts).

As it was said above, scout the enemy base and find its Const. Yard, and take it out first. Try not to advance in the path of the attacking enemy, which is usually the shortest path from the AI's base to yours. Go around, take out or capture the Const. Yard, then the rest will be more or less easy.
Old 20-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #287
Domomonkey

Any advice on getting it to run quick in W7?

It really crawls when there is a lot of action on screen. I am using Dosbox, Should I be changing any settings?
Old 21-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #288
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Make sure the core is set to Dynamic, under game options set the speed to fastest, and then increase/decrease the cycles until you find the optimum value.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #289
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

I know it's a bit lazy, but cycles=max works fine for me As for the CPU core, setting it to auto usually suffices IMO, although dynamic won't hurt either. It's the cycles that seem to make the real difference though.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #290
Domomonkey

Odd.

When I push cycles up just a little bit everything starts to skip and the sound starts to go bad.

I will try changing the core settings to see if that fixes it.