Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #21
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Oak View Post
Unfortunately, the only version I have on CD is the sequel, still, this 3D option sounds interesting, I must say.
As far as I know the version on site is the CD version.
Old 15-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
As far as I know the version on site is the CD version.
What I meant is that I have Magic Carpet 2's CD for when that becomes unprotected.
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 16-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #23
me_lobo
Abandonia nerd

What is your dosbox conf (cycles, frameskip) guys? When I slow it down to 25% the game acts funny - goes slow and then fast every now and then.

NTB Intel Core Duo 2Ghz
me_lobo is offline                         Send a private message to me_lobo
Old 16-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #24
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Instead of using Auto cycles, try setting a pre-defined value. DOSBox' autodetection technically works, but goes awry when running more demanding games.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #25
nebulon
Lurker

Default MC1 and MC2

These are the ones of the best games ever.....
nebulon is offline                         Send a private message to nebulon
Old 31-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #26
walmreis
Lurker

As everything Bullfrog developed, Magic Carpet series is awesome, a masterpiece. Even in present days. But as every video game, at least the first one sucks in some aspects, notably some issues put in each level to make it more difficult and, obviously, less playable and interesting. For instance, the spells stop working after some mysterious triggering in level 13 - if I'm not mistaken - and are partially restored after a couple of walks over the water; also the entire world seems frozen and the effects of some spells are delayed. I found just one gamer complaining about this issue (on Vogons forum), and he couldn't say if this is part of the game or just a bug.

I'd like so much to talk to someone who played n. 1 until the end on the PC and share some impressions. I'd also appreciate to find a general walkthrough with each level, not too detailed, but with enough information to make me know if occurrences like that are real bugs or simply in-game jokes.

Last edited by walmreis; 02-04-2011 at 11:20 PM.
walmreis is offline                         Send a private message to walmreis
Old 07-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
Wollkneul

I have a problem with dosbox and this game.
After the soundselection the game just freezes.

Can somebody help me?

Old 16-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #28
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Now sold at GOG

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 13-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #29
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
... I have never played either one of them past the first level because of that inverted mouse aiming.

AFAIK there's no way to change that...
BTW, Taewoong's custom DOSBox build has the option to invert the mouse y-axis. Now I can play this game.

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/
Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
Samedh
Default Very much agreed Admiral Gaskaville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Gaskaville View Post
C'mon, this game is a true gem. The controls are a little unconventional, and all levels are more of the same (build castle, fill with mana, destroy others, collects spells and repeat ad nauseam), unlike Magic Carpet 2 which has night and underground levels and a nice variety of objectives.

Just for people who aren't familiarised with this game:

· The objective of every level is to build the biggest castle you can and fill it with mana. PRO TIP: having a castle build means that when you die, you respawn inside it.

· You get mana from slain monsters, but to make it yours you must cast the possession (don't know if I spelt it right) spell on them. Then a ballon comes from your castle, picks it and delivers it to your castle. PRO TIP: you can get mana from possessing neutral buildings (a white flag or light on top of them means you own them).

· Frequently, you'll find that your mana reserves drain too fast, which means you need more mana inside your castle. PRO TIP: If you find a rock structure called dolmen, you can stop over it to replenish your mana reserves faster (the same applies to your castle).

· Spells like whirlwind (or tornado, don't remember the exact name) are useful for giant landworms (they will tear their pieces out of socket). Lightning spells work for air creatures (specially sky dragons). PRO TIP: Most of you would think that Meteor is the most powerful spell, but thats only when destroying enemies. If you want to destroy castles efficiently, use Fire storm or Lightning storm(don't know if they exist in regular Magic Carpet).

· Get all spells from a level and take your time to explore the environment. Sometimes, you have to overcome obstacles and brute force doesn't make it, so be sure to look around, for a teleporter may be hidden nearby.

· When battling an enemy wizard, try to kill it near your castle. Then go to your castle, recharge your mana and use your speed spell to go to your opponents castle and try to raze it. Return to your castle to recharge mana while using the speed spell and possess all enemy mana. PRO TIP: I don't know if this works with this game, but casting possession on the corpse of an enemy wizard makes all non-stored mana of his property yours.

With that said, enjoy.
In addition to everything you noted, if you can set up a local link netbios emulator (Dosbox IPX, IPXNET, IPXNET STARTSERVER and CONNECT settings, available in the DosBox 0.74 manual) Magic Carpet 2 supported network play. We would get together for lan parties, and this game alone sometimes consumed the whole session. Up to 12 wizards at a time, blasting the bejeezus out of each other. It's amazing how much fun you can have with human opponents on the other end. We would laugh and scream at each other for hours.

That said, I'm surprised nobody has done a true remake of Magic Carpet 2. Yes the controls were annoying to get used to (Turok controls, anyone?) but that was part of the fun. The atmosphere and graphics were beautiful for the time. I can only imagine what they would look like using todays graphics capabilities.

I finished both games many times. The final level on MC2 was hours of work to do properly, and I died regularly and often. When your opponent wizards get to level 5 Castle or better, watch out. They get sneaky and very very dangerous, and have a habit of popping up at the very worst times. I really wish Bullfrog (or Peter Molyneux!) would redo this gem. To this day I load up DosBox occasionally just to play these two again. And HiOctane, and Syndicate