Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Max Payne 3 - is it good...? Or not really.

Hey AB folks,

I've been awaiting MP3 for ages, and now it's here, in all it's %27 discount glory, shipping on Monday. Should I order it today? Or do I have to keep my hands off the keyboard regarding this 'epic' crime legend.

I'd like to have subtle hints, no spoilers please.

For example:

Graphics: Excellent
Gameplay: Playable
Story: Plausible
Sound/Music: Chilling
Multiplayer: Adrenaline Overdose

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 20-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

I asked the same question. The answer also depends on what do you want the game to be?

I loved to stroll the snow-covered New York streets during the night, with that depressing music theme in the background.

Today, Max Payne looks like this. Yeah, in broad Brazilian sunlight!

I haven't played the game yet, so I can't say if it's a good game. But surely this isn't the Max Payne I used to know.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 20-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Because you know, even after 9 year gap between the games the sequel has to look, feel and play exactly the same.

Not to worry though. I just saw a review recently where the guy was amazed how great the game is. With good action, good story, lots of attention to details and good multiplayer (not just a tacked-on thing). And it does actually feel like the previous games, but it brings lot of new and fresh things to the table. Not only its a great sequel, its a great game itself, with only negative points being that it might get repetitive since there's no sequence that would take a break from shooting and do something different, like nightmare sequence from the previous game.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 20-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I have talked to people who played the game, and their opinion of it is - great atmosphere and narration, good gameplay, "pick-my-nose" story. I cannot enforce this impression yet, since I haven't played the game.
Old 20-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
Because you know, even after 9 year gap between the games the sequel has to look, feel and play exactly the same.
Because, you know, when you name the game Max Payne 3 and not Bald Guy 1, people tend to expect it to feel like the previous ones.

Heck, the whole franchise/license thing is all about it. The fact that people know what to expect makes it less risky to release another product. Because you know there are people who want more of the same thing. If this didn't work that way, there would be no sequels.

Would you like "The Monkey Island" remade as a grim survival horror with turn-based combat? Because it would be nothing what "Monkey Island" stands for. Why would anyone want to name it like this? Ah, because it's established brand!

That's why I hate when someone reuses well known title/brand... only several years later... with no contribution from the original creators... and completely different in every aspect. Buy hey! buy it! because we have that cool title, ya know?
Old 20-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Because, you know, when you name the game Max Payne 3 and not Bald Guy 1, people tend to expect it to feel like the previous ones.

Heck, the whole franchise/license thing is all about it. The fact that people know what to expect makes it less risky to release another product. Because you know there are people who want more of the same thing. If this didn't work that way, there would be no sequels.

Would you like "The Monkey Island" remade as a grim survival horror with turn-based combat? Because it would be nothing what "Monkey Island" stands for. Why would anyone want to name it like this? Ah, because it's established brand!

That's why I hate when someone reuses well known title/brand... only several years later... with no contribution from the original creators... and completely different in every aspect. Buy hey! buy it! because we have that cool title, ya know?
+1

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 20-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Oh yeah because you can't be a dark and gritty Noir game in the sunlight. If games don't change we complain that they aren't doing anything new if games do change we complain that they are too different.

Everything I have heard about the game makes me want to play it, seems they are moving the Max story on, the combat looks good and the locations amazing. It isn't on the top of my list to buy I have too many other games and not enough money but like I did with 2 I will buy it in the end.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 20-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
Oh yeah because you can't be a dark and gritty Noir game in the sunlight.
dark and gritty = sure
Noir = not much

I'll bet you're also one of those people who don't give a damn whether Indiana Jones is set in 1930s or 1950s? "Heck, it's all old shit to me, who cares?", right?
Old 20-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Indiana could have had a good movie in the 1950s yep, he didn't but that was for other reasons. Does it really matter? You are never going to give the game a fair shake are you? It could be the best thing to ever happen to the franchise but a bit of sunlight and it is right out. A lot of what I have seen reminded me of Max Payne 2 and I can say I am really looking forward to a story that isn't stagnating in the same place and time but is moving forward with the character.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 20-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

I saw a few reviews, the only gripe people had with the game was that the cutscene/gameplay ratio favors the cutscenes. But what gaming parts there were, those were solid. As for the gritty vs. Brazil. Max wanted to get away (no wonder, after the events of the first two games) and he became a bodyguard/merc working for some brazilian dude. So what if he has a hawaiian shirt now? That thing did wonders to the GTA guy. Sonny is still the best protagonist they ever had >.> And it's Rockstar now, so it's going to be full of eyecandy, one should expect that.

As for Indy, the last Indy movie sucked because of the aliens and Shia LeBeouf. The Indy parts were good, and so was the cinematography. Too bad the supporting cast was shyte.