Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 28-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I used the -t cdrom the game worked but crashed right after the main title.
Is the game original or a pirate copy?

Are you sure it isn't actually a CD-RIP which should be copied to a hard drive and ran from there? That would explain a lot of what you wrote - the inability to save, the presence of additional files in a ZIP archive and so on.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
MinigunFiend
Forum hobbit

I've got Final Unity working before with no problems past the initial installation, which ran very slowly.

You could also try just copying the entire disk into a seperate folder and mounting that as D:
MinigunFiend is offline                         Send a private message to MinigunFiend
Old 29-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
reverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fifth_horseman View Post
Is the game original or a pirate copy?

Are you sure it isn't actually a CD-RIP which should be copied to a hard drive and ran from there? That would explain a lot of what you wrote - the inability to save, the presence of additional files in a ZIP archive and so on.

I bought the game in what seemed to be an original package, although i bought it from the flea market. I have made couple of good deals too,
but I'm starting to turn into the pirate copy theory becoss the game crashes in win 98 when running it in windows or dos. but in dos-box it runs without a problem. And there isn't any copy protection software.

could you do me a favor and see if the micro prose company has a list of all the games released.

PS. When running the game in windows 98 i needed to turn on the " Prevent program from detecting windows" option, could this be the problem.
reverin is offline                         Send a private message to reverin
Old 29-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

if the game was made for Dos it doesnt' mean it would run under windows. It may or may not run. maybe it runs but sound doesn't work... there are more options.

That is why they made Dosbox, which is emulator. It means it creates a simulation of DOS.

now since you have Win98, you actually do not need DosBox to run dos games. because Win98 is based on DOS. to fully access dos i recomend either creating a boot disk (abandonia boot disk does this quite nicely) or hit F8 before windows load and selecting DOS. only that way you will get into pure dos. And you can there attempt to run the game. if you decide to use dos you will likewise need to install CD player (with propper command), configure the memory, mouse and sound card in Autoexec.bat file. since you need to know the commands to do this windows became more sucesfull as a result. commands are done by clicking and going through menus there.

Also some games might run nicelly if you choose in Win98 to run it in dos or to restart computer in DOS mode or something like that. however i had problems with a lot of games running them this way. reason was that Win98 left some stuff in RAM or it occupied the IRQ used by soundcard in DOS.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 29-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Please check if there are any TXT, DOC, NFO, READ.ME or DIZ files anywhere on the CD. If there are, open them using Notepad - the piracy scene often uses these file types to identify their releases.

Quote:
could you do me a favor and see if the micro prose company has a list of all the games released.
There are three lists:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MicroProse_games
http://www.abandonia.com/en/oldwarez...prose/0/title/
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/game...nc/list-games/

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
reverin

The box is real ( thanks for the lists), i now retire to check if there is a photo of the game CD ( to make sure thats the Right one ).

This concludes my mischief this month, if i find a working dos game from my country i throw it in here you can do whatever you want with it. If i encounter something more bizarre than this i wont tell you.

Thank you very much, take care now, bu-bye then.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #17
reverin

After 2 hours in internet and 5 cups of coffee i came to this conclusion:

- The game is real about 70% possibility.

ps. if i find a working Dos-game from my country how can i send it to ya ?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You can either upload it to Rapidshare and send us the link or ask on of the admins for login and password to our FTP server where you can upload the thing.

-- Reed Richards
Old 03-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #19
reverin

Last edited by reverin; 03-02-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
dosraider
Dismembered.

Wait a sec ....... you want to contribute to this site by linking to games on other AW sites?
:laugh:

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Closed Thread