Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-04-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cSRpu7bI04...om%2F%3Fp%3D339

One of the more odd videos i've seen of a dog. Ever....
Old 10-04-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

One of my dogs used to do something close to that. I think they are either playing (role playing) or they have a flea or something that bothers them. If you see its eyes while it is doing this, it is waiting for something, that happens, then it reacts.

I love dogs.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

If you observe closely you'll see the line in the middle of the dog's body. I bet it's one of those Russian dogs that have been cut apart and then sown together again. That's why he knows that leg isn't his and is attacking the other dog (you remember that topic right).

There's no other explenation for it :angel:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Apr 10 2006, 06:26 AM
If you observe closely you'll see the line in the middle of the dog's body. I bet it's one of those Russian dogs that have been cut apart and then sown together again. That's why he knows that leg isn't his and is attacking the other dog (you remember that topic right).

I have no idea what you are talking about. :crazy:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Apr 10 2006, 06:26 AM

Nah, don't think so. If you show a dog his own leg he also won't recognize it's his. Why else should they try to attack their own mirror image or chase after their own tail?
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

They really don't recognize the mirror image because it has no smell. Dog's don't see very well and they have big problems seeing 2D (a mirror is a 2D surface). But a dog should recognize his own leg by the smell of it.
There are dogs that have very limited nerve system, so there are parts of their body that could be cut of without the dog even feeling it. This helps them when fighting - they feel no pain, so they keep on fighting (until they eventually bleed to death). But such breads are generally men-made.
Dogs chase their tail out of fun (like a little child simply running not knowing where or why).
But with this dog there's something really wrong. I'm guessing, because it's from a TV show that this dog was either trained to do that (would be a hell of an actor then) or some strange smell has been sprayed on his leg (a sort of a practical joke by the owner who then filmed it and send it on a home-video show or something).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

eeeeeh :eeeeeh:

does any of you actualy have a dog?
Because you'r giving the dog alot less credit then it should have.

BOTH my dogs, do recognice the image in the mirror, AND understand how to look via a mirror, eg. around a corner in a mirror).
And chaising it's own tail, that is purly for fun, yes, or when it's itching.

Anyway, the dog in the video, perhaps it has some sort of illness.
The same type is found in humans when you doesn't recognice parts of the body as your own. It's usualy caused to traume to the front part of the brain.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan@Apr 10 2006, 12:03 PM
BOTH my dogs, do recognice the image in the mirror, AND understand how to look via a mirror, eg. around a corner in a mirror).
Well, then they have learned.

I remember reading some articles about it (but that was early 90s) that dogs can't see pictures, can't watch TV and can't recognize objects in the mirror - because 78% of their preceprion is done by smelling and only 8% by seeing (the rest if sound).

Could simply be, that those research was wrong (or it was just for one breed of dogs - that I'm really not sure about anymore).

Otherwise I know dogs can be extremely inteligent!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
Aristharus
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to Aristharus

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Apr 10 2006, 09:53 AM
Dog's don't see very well and they have big problems seeing 2D (a mirror is a 2D surface).
Umm.. A mirror is a 2D surface, yes, but the picture on the mirror is actually 3D, isn't it? If you look at something through a mirror, your eyes don't focus on the surface of the mirror, but deeper, on the object you're looking at, of course.

I'm not too good with English, so just try to understand what I mean.

A mirror doesn't make the picture 2D, like a TV for example does, as the light still goes over the same distance and you'll have to focus your eyes accordingly.. I think.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well the server is down and I had to do one of those shuffle puzzles, did it in 508 moves... pretty bad actually.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow