Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #131
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrek+Jul 13 2005, 01:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shrek @ Jul 13 2005, 01:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-G@Jul 10 2005, 06:45 AM
Hello, I have played Ascendancy on and off since it was released way back.* Can anyone recommend a recent or older game that is similar?* I have tried a few war type simulators here and there, but I have found none that I became addicted to like Ascendancy.* Thanks in advance.
You should try:

Pax Imperia
Imperium Galactica
Imperium Galactica II
and maybe Galactic Civilizations [/b][/quote]
You forgot Fragile Allegiance it's one of the best games in that genre.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 13-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #132
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

yes, i forgot Fragile... it is pretty cool, but the inexistence of "research" is one big fault. besides that, its great to kick some aliens butts. :Titan:
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 16-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #133
krono

Hey there, you guys seem to know a bit.

I am encountering a problem in XP pro where my mouse moves extremely slow in game. Any idea on how to get rid of that so it goes fast.

It is a cordless microsoft intelimouse explorer

Old 20-07-2005, 12:17 AM   #134
Haderach

Sorry for repeat info. I posted this in the Technical help section also. But it's hidden under SimCity200 post, but this solution works 100% for ALL DOS games iwth mouse problems (okay, maybe not 100%, btu 100% with games I've tried and I've tried a ton.)

Here is the repeat post:

First, thanks for your site. I love it as an alternative for faster downloads. And your tech support is outstanding. So here's one to add to your files.

Many DOS games have serious problems with slowdown of mice in Windows XP, even you if you use an slowdown/DOS emulator program like DoSBoX or VDMS.

Here is the complete solution to making games run smooth with your mouse in DOS games that have trouble. I had trouble with SimCity2000 and Ascendancy and decided to findout how to solve it.

Steps to take:

1. Download mousectl.com from the net...use a search engine so that I'm not responsible for getting people to leech off of private sites. Put mousectl.com in your C:\ directory.
2. Find autoexec.nt in your c:\\windows\system32 directory. Open it up with Notepad.
3. Add these two lines to the very end:

REM Ramps up mouse acceleration in Windows XP "fake" DOS mode
loadhigh c:\local\dos\mousectl 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15

Notes:
a. The values 5,6,10, etc. are speeds of the mouse. Multiply by 10 and you get the % of speed increase. You can change the numbers to your own taste. This setup has the aceleration ramp up to 150% very quickly and then stay there.
b. Works with DosBox and VDMS. Don't worry about this changing how your mouse behaves in your normal XP environment because autoexec.nt only loads when you run XP's fake DOS mode (yes, I call it fake...since it is).

Haderach

Old 20-07-2005, 12:20 AM   #135
Haderach

Edit:

Where it said:
"loadhigh c:\local\dos\mousectl 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15"

Change that to:

"loadhigh c:\mousectl 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15"

I apologize for that error.

Haderach

Old 20-07-2005, 12:50 AM   #136
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I moved the posts you made in the troubleshooting section here. Thanks for the new thread.
Old 20-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #137
krono

Thanks for the info. Right after this post i started doin some research and found that information to get it working. It seems you guys went to the same place as me

Old 02-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #138

I thought it was pretty good, but like all expansion games like this and Space Empires and Civilisation, tends to get a bit dull as your empire expands and gets hard to run.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #139
Dines Petersen

Interesting game..

But i am i the only one experiencing that shields make ships invulnerable ?
The thing is, that if you turn them on and on every turn, they are renewed, and unless the enemy has enough power to get throught your shields in one shot, he cant hurt you..

Im running the game with the ai patch

Dines

Old 07-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #140
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I would not know, I never used shield for my ships. Full power I say and you will easily be able to blast your ennemy first without a problem.