Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

OK, so I am at the university now. Access to the office I'm working half-time at is limited, as is to my home computer. I decided to get a laptop.

Now, I have some rather specific parameters down.

128 - 256 MB RAM (anything above would be an overkill)
10 - 40 GB HDD (not a single byte above 40 GB, I have reasons for that)
400 mHz or faster CPU (heck, do you need anything faster for Win98SE???)
USB 2
Integrated WiFi unit (there is a WiFi internet access point here, so I'd like to make use of it)
Onboard Lan card
CD-R/RW or Combo drive (don't have a need for DVD-RW
Preferably a built-in soundcard
GPU doesn't matter as long as it's working.

The whole thing will run under Windows 98 Second Edition (I _hate_ WinXP).

As you can see, it's going to be more of a mobile net terminal and basic workstation then a gaming computer (maybe apart from a couple older games, ie Diablo, Starcraft, WinQuake and the sort).

I'm looking for as long battery operation time as possible, and it would be better if the machine wasn't too heavy (3,5 kilos max).
The primary factor, however, is price. Nothing above $750, preferably under $500.

I've tried using Google to find something appropriate, but ended up with only second-hand offers.

What are your recommendations?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

Well, a new notebook is going to be a problem since you ask these for these low specs. So I guess your going to be stuck with second-hand offers. Else I would suggest a low end Acer notebook they are not that expansive and you get a good deal for your money
Apocalypse Dude is offline                         Send a private message to Apocalypse Dude
Old 06-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Yeah, WinXP is so overrated.

Umm... Just some questions.

What's the reason you don't want a 40GB+ HDD?
I'd think a 512Mb RAM would be decent for a lap top. Would higher than 256MB make Win98SE run too fast?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin Threadbare@Oct 6 2005, 11:50 AM
What's the reason you don't want a 40GB+ HDD?
Win 98 doesn't always handle larger HDD's well
Apocalypse Dude is offline                         Send a private message to Apocalypse Dude
Old 06-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Oh, I see. Computers like this are normally cheap. Sometimes you get deals on the DELL website if you roder online you get a certain discount.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
Xikarita
Abandonia nerd

You can still get some laptop PCs with those specs, from Acer for example. And with 256 mb RAM and no DVD recorder, you'll probably be looking at some 600 EUR.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

For the uses you secified, those specs seems appropriate. Even 256MB of RAM are enough (i run WinXP with just 128... )

But did someone still sell new notebook with 400Hz processors? :blink:
Old 06-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

How am I supposed to know? For several years I was out of continuity on the subject of hardware technological development.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #9
Apocalypse Dude
Super Freak

In your case I would suggest a intel celeron mobile or a AMD sempron mobile notebook, they often come in cheap versions with 256 / 512 Mb memory and a 40Gb HDD mose notebooks these days have build in WiFi and LAN is almost standard on any notebook build afer 2002. Most CPU usually start at 1.3 GHz for the intels and at +/- 1.7 GHz (sempron 2800) for the AMD's. DVD-rw is build-in on most new notebook but there are still models on the market with a combo drive (DVD-ROM and CD-RW). Further, a souncard is standard and most notebooks in the lower price classes have a graphical chip with shared video-memory. USB 2.0 is also standard on new notebooks. The only problem I foresee when you want to install Win 98 is HDD's, a lot of notebooks come standard with 60 Gb's of HDD space, and win 98 doesn't always handle large HDD's well

EDIT:

I still advise to look for an acer, dell also has low end notebooks, but the service and construction from acer is better dell
Old 07-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
piroklasztit
Forum hobbit

Why don't you try to make 2 or more partitions on your HDD? This way you can buy a HDD larger than 40 Gb and still you can operate a Win98SE. (It's just curiosity: what's your problem with WinME? Stability, or something else? I've used both of them and I have never had serious problems with WinME. However a lot of people are complaining about the WinME's poor stability compaired to the 98. The truth is I've used them only for gaming, and for fun, nothing serious .)
piroklasztit is offline                         Send a private message to piroklasztit