Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I have purchased the CD version of Xcom Apocalypse some years ago and always wanted to be able to see the cinematics since the only working version I ever found was a cracked version on the net. However I never been able to run that CD version ever. I tryied it in plain XP (the aforementioned cracked version worked in plain XP before) but the game lags to no end just like if I would use an undercycled DOSBox. I tryied to play thru DOSBox 0.63 and 0.61 and found that it seems to run fine with 6000 cycle on my computer... However I'm only able to see the intro movie and even then it is garbled. There seems to be a problem with the movie "cleaning" the screen as there is graphics which stay drawn until another graphic move over it. Also it seemed to me that the movie was skipping way too much frames and sometime simply froze for small amount of time even tough the music and sound kept playing normally.

In any ways I never been able to pass the intro movie. The game just hang up and dump me back to the command prompt.

I tryied installing directly from DOSBox 0.63 by mounting my D cdrom with the most basic cdrom mounting command (mount d d:\ -t cdrom) since I don't really understand the most advanced options in the readme.txt of DOSBox.

When I installed the game I ran thru 2 errors: first the game seemed stuborn enough to keep telling me my CDrom was not fast enough for the game. This is of course a lie but may be because the game have trouble to find my CDrom. The second error was that I needed 200megs to install the "optimal" setting but the game again was stuborn enough to tell me that there was only 105 megs available on c:\ even tough I have about 6 gigs free. I then did the "normal" install of 60 megs. I could install the game fine even with the CDrom error.

Is there someone who can help me figure this out? I have no idea of what I could do to make this game work either under Windows or DOSBox.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #2

I don't know but i also have it and it runs on xp(with my gf4 mx 440 64 mb).
But no with my savage graphics of 32 mb(i will try with my gf fx 5500)...I hope that works k:

Old 10-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Gun Man
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Feb 10 2005, 08:18 PM
I don't know but i also have it and it runs on xp(with my gf4 mx 440 64 mb).
But no with my savage graphics of 32 mb(i will try with my gf fx 5500)...I hope that works k:
Jeje sorry it was mine. I forgot to login :whistle:

Lead Designer - IronOak Studios:
PERSONAL ONLINE PORTFOLIO
Gun Man is offline                         Send a private message to Gun Man
Old 11-02-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
Data
retired

uhm mount your c drive with the freesize option of mount (you can set the amount of freespace this way.)

if you have only one cdrom:
try this
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

The game should work I recall. There were some problems at one time in space with the vesa graphics in the menu but those should have been resolved
Old 11-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
There seems to be a problem with the movie "cleaning" the screen as there is graphics which stay drawn until another graphic move over it. Also it seemed to me that the movie was skipping way too much frames and sometime simply froze for small amount of time even tough the music and sound kept playing normally.
Change the GPU RAM settings in DosBox to something higher. This should help.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-02-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Yes I have found the freespace tag and used it. However I never managed to actually run the game with DOSBox and actually given up trying to run it altogether. I downloaded Abadonnia version and I'll try that one later on even tough the whole idea was to have access to music and movies of the game, not really to play it again...
Old 12-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Gun Man
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Man

Look i managed to play it without dosbox with my gf 4.(i think that the TNT II also).
But i changed my video card and it not run.

Lead Designer - IronOak Studios:
PERSONAL ONLINE PORTFOLIO
Gun Man is offline                         Send a private message to Gun Man