Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Default Wizardry VI - Bane of the Cosmic Forge

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)
Old 23-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
derboo
Abandonia nerd

Hmm, it says save games can be used in Wizardry VII... but afterwards, do they also carry over to Wizardry VIII, as it belongs to the same story arc?
derboo is offline                         Send a private message to derboo
Old 23-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Derboo, it is unlikely that Wizardry VII save files would transfer over to Wizardry VIII due to the 9 year gap between the games.
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 24-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Lol didn't I mention it in the newspost? Of course you can:

Quote:
The game was also notable for featuring an import mechanism that allowed veteran players to bring in their saved parties from Wizardry VII which had been released approximately nine years earlier. Parties could also be imported from Wizardry Gold, a remake of Wizardry VII that had been released in 1996. Depending on what choices were made, the starting point for the player could be determined by their save. Also notable were the multiple endings that could be experienced depending on the player's choices at the end of the game.
Source: GiantBomb
Old 24-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Death Incarnate
...the Deathly Inca

Yes, you can import your characters from Wizardry 6 to Wizardry 7 and from Wizardry 7 to Wizardry 8 (though not from 6 to 8 directly, off course), if you finished the previous game. This even has an effect on the beginning of the game, since you have different options to finish the games.

As far as I know, not everything will be imported, though. Equipment, i.e., will be lost, and some skills may change, since in Wizardry 7 new skills where added to the list. I never finished any of the games, so I never tried it myself

But THIS time, I'll play them to the bitter end...
Old 30-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
CoarseDragon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Incarnate View Post
Yes, you can import your characters from Wizardry 6 to Wizardry 7 and from Wizardry 7 to Wizardry 8 (though not from 6 to 8 directly, off course), if you finished the previous game. This even has an effect on the beginning of the game, since you have different options to finish the games.

As far as I know, not everything will be imported, though. Equipment, i.e., will be lost, and some skills may change, since in Wizardry 7 new skills where added to the list. I never finished any of the games, so I never tried it myself

But THIS time, I'll play them to the bitter end...
The different endings from Wizardry 7 give you completely different beginings in Wizardy 8.
CoarseDragon is offline                         Send a private message to CoarseDragon
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
alcaray

Just getting started on it. I find that on the unlock door and bash door interfaces, the progress display (or whatever it should be called) just manicly flickers red and green. There is no chance to pick an advantageous time to hit enter. I'd like to know whether this is because:

1) My party is new and needs to develop its skills before the interface slows down to a manageable speed, or

2) It is a question of how fast my PC is and I need to set the cycles in DosBox lower (usually I have to set it faster).

Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Death Incarnate
...the Deathly Inca

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcaray View Post
Just getting started on it. I find that on the unlock door and bash door interfaces, the progress display (or whatever it should be called) just manicly flickers red and green. There is no chance to pick an advantageous time to hit enter. I'd like to know whether this is because:

1) My party is new and needs to develop its skills before the interface slows down to a manageable speed, or

2) It is a question of how fast my PC is and I need to set the cycles in DosBox lower (usually I have to set it faster).
It's correct that the buttons flicker this fast, I don't think that you can change it by decreasing the cycles (though it might be worth a try). However, the more experienced your thief, the more often the button will be green, increasing your chance to hit enter at a good time. When a door is jammed or the lock is not meant to be picked, the button won't flicker at all but stay red all the time. In this case, you'll have to find the right key (or other means to open the door, i.e. buttons in the wall).
Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
zephyrine

If you are having trouble saving the game and the instruction in the review didnt work try this:

When you have started a game simply go to party options, game configuration, leave the field under savegame drive BLANK. it will now save your games to your install directory!

( mount as the drive you installed the game on, for example mount c c:/dos/bane )

Hope this helped someone, have fun.
zephyrine is offline                         Send a private message to zephyrine
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
superbus12

Hi all,

I was jonesing for some Wizardry and didn't want to dig through my old discs, so I got Wiz6 from this site, but after spending an hour rolling my party, I noticed a pretty big problem: physical attacks don't work in combat. At all. Either for my party or for the enemy. Every single normal attack ends in a "missed!" Spells do work.

I thought it might be DOSBox, or various configuration things, but nope, still had the problem. Finally, I decided to dig up my old disc with some classic games and installed it again.

Works perfectly for me now. If anyone else or everyone else is having this problem, I can send my version of the game to an administrator. This is far too deep and great of a game to not work!
superbus12 is offline                         Send a private message to superbus12