Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Search Forums:
Click here to use Advanced Search

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
ComboTroop
Abandonia nerd
 
ComboTroop's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wigston, England
Posts: 88
Question Anyone use Old Machines to play the old games?

I was wondering, does anyone here, apart from me, from what i know, have a old PC, with a old OS to play some excellent oldies?
I got a win98 Laptop with 64 MB Ram, 16 MB no-3D accelator gfx card, 0.96 Ghz processor i think...

What old machine do you have, what is it's specs?

Btw i got 3 or 2 of these old laptops, i got 1 for free :rock:
And i do have a main desktop PC running winXP before some smart person asks me that!
ComboTroop is offline                         Send a private message to ComboTroop
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard
 
zirkoni's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 493
Default

I had a Win 3.11/DOS 6.22 desktop, 8 MB, 80 MHz.
I moved a few months ago and left the machine to my old place.

But I did save some of the oldies that were installed on that comp. It took some time to zip the files and copy them to floppy disks (that old Winzip and floppy drive were really slow). And, my current machine doesn't have a floppy drive so I had to use a third machine (with a floppy drive) to copy the files to a USB stick. Now I'm playing those same games using DOSBox.
zirkoni is offline                         Send a private message to zirkoni
Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
ComboTroop
Abandonia nerd
 
ComboTroop's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wigston, England
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
I had a Win 3.11/DOS 6.22 desktop, 8 MB, 80 MHz.
I moved a few months ago and left the machine to my old place.

But I did save some of the oldies that were installed on that comp. It took some time to zip the files and copy them to floppy disks (that old Winzip and floppy drive were really slow). And, my current machine doesn't have a floppy drive so I had to use a third machine (with a floppy drive) to copy the files to a USB stick. Now I'm playing those same games using DOSBox.
Cool! I never seen Win 3.11 in action lol, but yeah, win98 can run DOS games decently, aslong as you got the latest DOS4G thing!
ComboTroop is offline                         Send a private message to ComboTroop
Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
BentleyVA
Abandonia nerd

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 90
Default

I have a Toshiba T4500 laptop that runs DOS. I use that to play text adventures, Sierra adventures like the various Quest series, and Simcity amoung others. I also have six computers in various states of repair. I currently use a P333/64MB Packard Bell to crack games, and that runs both DOS and WIN98.
BentleyVA is offline                         Send a private message to BentleyVA
Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
tikbalang
Newbie
 
tikbalang's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beverly Hills, United States
Posts: 19
Default

i still use a p3 933mhz/256mb ram for general DOS'sing. it's old, but it's not that old; some games refuse to run unless i use a slowdown software. the built-in ac97 audio does not perform very well in emulating the soundblaster but it works for most games and applications.
tikbalang is offline                         Send a private message to tikbalang
Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Batmanifestdestiny
Game freak
 
Batmanifestdestiny's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norman, United States
Posts: 109
Default

I have a Windows 98 that runs slow as crap, with pieces from 1993, 1989, and 1997. It has X-Com, but it runs too fast, but it runs Descent like amazingness. The only issues are that it doesn't have internet, it doesn't read USB drives as storage things, and the moniter is pinked-out, but I still love it like I lvoe a grandparent
Batmanifestdestiny is offline                         Send a private message to Batmanifestdestiny
Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 03:17 AM   #7
BentleyVA
Abandonia nerd

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanifestdestiny View Post
I have a Windows 98 that runs slow as crap, with pieces from 1993, 1989, and 1997. It has X-Com, but it runs too fast, but it runs Descent like amazingness. The only issues are that it doesn't have internet, it doesn't read USB drives as storage things, and the moniter is pinked-out, but I still love it like I lvoe a grandparent
Not to be a but-in-ski but this site may help with setting up your USB storage devices to work with Win98. Worked for my PB rig.

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
BentleyVA is offline                         Send a private message to BentleyVA
Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
red_avatar
Administrator
 
red_avatar's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Roeselare, Belgium
Posts: 1,441
Default

Old PCs can still give me headaches. We should be lucky PCs are so much easier these days and I'm not talking about software - I'm talking about really weird things that old PCs could do. You'd suddenly get no sound and would have to look everywhere to find the solution for example.

I do have a P166 setup with a Voodoo 2 but I rarely use it anymore since DOSBox became so much more useful. I know some people want an authentic experience but aside from some minor differences in the music, DOSBox is pretty much 100% authentic when you play the game itself.
__________________

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
ComboTroop
Abandonia nerd
 
ComboTroop's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wigston, England
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
Old PCs can still give me headaches. We should be lucky PCs are so much easier these days and I'm not talking about software - I'm talking about really weird things that old PCs could do. You'd suddenly get no sound and would have to look everywhere to find the solution for example.

I do have a P166 setup with a Voodoo 2 but I rarely use it anymore since DOSBox became so much more useful. I know some people want an authentic experience but aside from some minor differences in the music, DOSBox is pretty much 100% authentic when you play the game itself.
Yeah, Old PCs could be a pain in the ass when it comes to hardware! But! Old PCs are useful, in DOS Gaming!
My Win98 laptop can run most DOS games, and win95 games perfecto just about!
But DOSbox isn't as good for my main PC since it isn't that powerful, 233 MB Ram 32 MB 3D acellator gfx built-in card, 2.66 GHz processor, not really top-notch, it runs BlooD very jerky! But thats why my win98 is there, so i can play it with top-speed!
ComboTroop is offline                         Send a private message to ComboTroop
Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
JeanLuc Picard
Newbie

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Posts: 2
Default My first PC!!!! (Still working fine)

I still use my first pc (my father give it to me in 1994). It`s a P166 MMX, 64MB RAM, HD 4,8GB, 2MB Video Card, WIN98 (but i already had WIN 3.11 and 95).
JeanLuc Picard is offline                         Send a private message to JeanLuc Picard
Reply With Quote
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what all games do you like to play (online or off) Marquis Celt Dragon Gaming Zone 25 03-06-2009 07:41 PM
How To Play Dos Games? dodobird Troubleshooting 2 24-07-2007 01:30 PM
How Do I Play These Games Using Dosbox charyou Troubleshooting 18 07-09-2006 03:36 AM
C64 Games I Would Like To Play Again BranjoHello Forum Games 10 27-06-2006 09:34 PM
How To Play Music In Certain Games Using Msdos7.1? jkgeyti Troubleshooting 7 02-06-2005 03:03 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


The current time is 04:19 PM (GMT)

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.