Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Tiberius

This is a copy of the pm i sent to an administrator a few while ago. It went unanswered(I'm sure he's busy), so I'm reposting it here to hopefully get an answer. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------

I recently started a Myspace group for abandonware.

I'm pretty sure if I made a topic directly promoting my group it would be considered advertising. Am I right?

Would I be ok if I made a topic asking members if they had Myspace and then sending those who said they did a pm inviting them to join my group?

I am a big fan of Abandonia. A section of my Myspace is dedicated to abandonware and states that Abandonia is the best site on the web for abandonware. I'm just interested in spreading the word about these great old games.

Thanks,
Tiberius

P.S. Also, is it ok for me to have a link to my group in my signature and a little text describing what it is? Thanks again
Tiberius is offline                         Send a private message to Tiberius
Old 20-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I just made the owner of the site (Kosta) aware of this. Hopefully he'll answer you soon.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 21-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
It went unanswered(I'm sure he's busy)[/b]
Not all of the admins are online regularly. Some (like Tom Henrik) are currently preoccupied with real-life matters and just don't have time to bother with everything people ask them about in PM.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if I made a topic directly promoting my group it would be considered advertising. Am I right?[/b]
Yes - you would need a permission from either one of the admins or Kosta himself to do that; otherise it would be treated as unauthorised advertising, resulting in warn increase and topic removal.

Quote:
Would I be ok if I made a topic asking members if they had Myspace and then sending those who said they did a pm inviting them to join my group?[/b]
No. That would be PM spamming. PM ability removal, warn increase, possible suspension or even a ban.

Quote:
Also, is it ok for me to have a link to my group in my signature and a little text describing what it is?[/b]
If it would be on a different subject, there wouldn't be much of a problem. Since it's about Abandonware, you would still need a permission - otherwise your signature would be toast an instant it comes within an admins' line of sight.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm a x3 Blah mod and I'd say that you're welcome to make your topic about the group here in this forum. It's not another site, it's relavent and something forumers might be interested in, and you're not a bot nor are you here on the forum just to advertise. Go ahead.

And Horseman:

Quote:
No. That would be PM spamming. PM ability removal, warn increase, possible suspension or even a ban.
[/b]
Since when was sending specific people PMs that they want and asked for, spamming?
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 21-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Havell @ Jun 21 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]295482[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Since when was sending specific people PMs that they want and asked for, spamming?[/b]
He's a strict interpreter of DA RUL0RZ. So...
Old 21-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Since when was sending specific people PMs that they want and asked for, spamming?[/b]
What he said was about asking people if they have Myspace account and then sending all those who do PM's about the group.
I do not see any mention of anything about anyone agreeing to receive that PM.

Furthermore, that would still be unauthorized advertising.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Tiberius

I'll wait until I hear something from Kosta to be sure, because I don't want to be banned from the forums here.

I really think an abandonware Myspace group is a great idea. As I said, both my profile and the group point to Abandonia as the best place to get games. The group could serve as a bridge of sorts, helping people who are confused or uneducated about our hobby find out more before they jump into the community here.

I would do whatever it takes to make this group work in conjunction with Abandonia. I really want to get more involved with the abandonware cause.
Tiberius is offline                         Send a private message to Tiberius
Old 23-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

about the topic and pming. but i guess it would be ok if he warned in the topic 'all those who have a myspace account and would like to join my group post in this topic and i ll send them a pm'
Old 23-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
bobson
Game is over

I believe that there is no need to PM. Open a topic with appropriate name and I believe all interested people will get involved if you put there enoug info
Old 25-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
but i guess it would be ok if he warned in the topic 'all those who have a myspace account and would like to join my group post in this topic and i ll send them a pm'[/b]
It would still be advertising = he would still need a permission.

-- Reed Richards