Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 PM   #151
Swarog

Quote:
Originally posted by Limecat is not Pleased@Oct 2 2005, 08:46 PM
One more thing. Make sure that if you don't have the patched version that you install the patch before playing. The patch deletes all your save games. You can tell if you have the patched version if you find a key ring in the barrels next to the docks.
Yup, that's the version I have Seems I have to run the game without music as well, as the game crashes suddenly and without warning or error message if I have even MIDI music on. Oh well, luckily I have a good CD collection

BTW: Just got blown up by Beren for trying to steal his obsidian coins

Old 02-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #152
Limecat is not Pleased

Yes, Beren will teleport in and blow you up if you steal from anyone in town and get caught. The blacksmith ratted me out when I tried to steal a scimitar and BOOM! Pieces of avatar everywhere.

I'm having a problem with the video now. It didn't start until fairly late in the game and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be part of the game because you have to sacrifice your sight after you become a theurgist (Nice, huh?) The screen periodically flashes and the colors turn gray. When someone gets around the point where you go to Daemon's Crag, can you post and let me know if you are getting this as well? I think it has to be a bug because it's so bad that it gives me a headache. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #153

I almost finished U8 back in the nineties, (got stuck in Demon's crag with the pentacle spells..) and I sure can't remember that... sounds like a bug to me, but I can't be 100% certain.

Old 19-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #154
Alcoolocaust

i have the original game (cd version). the first time i launch it under dosbox it works perfectly, then every time i try to launch the game again it says that there is an incomplete installation and quit. there is someone who can help me? :help:

well... i say only another thing.. Ultima 8 is the best
you know... it was my first rpg

Old 19-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #155
Alcoolocaust

ok.. reading all post i found that i have to launch u8 the first time under dos. i try but the program quits for an "abnormal error" or something like that.
ah... my boot disk was made with your system_disk.exe...
Any clues?? :help: :help: :help:

Old 14-11-2005, 12:43 AM   #156
Arduinna

I love this game. I never got very far when I first played it years and years ago. I believe our old computer crashed while I was searching out the necromancers.

Then I managed to get it working on our win98 machine, only thing was, it would lock up when Lothian was being killed, and the screen shook, etc etc. Never could get past there.

Now I have a very nice machine, and the game works grand with dosbox, only problem is that its still locking up at the same place.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Old 14-11-2005, 03:31 AM   #157
Gamefreak

Do you play an own version of you? Download the patch for Ultima 8 from Origin/EA from this site: Phyton.dk
Maybe then the game will be able to proceed at the point with Lothian. You'll need to start the game anew after the patch, though.

Old 18-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #158
JimDandy

I've been playing in DosBox. Seems to work good at around 10000 cpu cycles. At less cycles, obviously it runs slower. What's odd is that at higher cycles, it also slows down. Probably not enough resources on my machine to go any higher. I just tweak the cycles until the music/sound effects don't stutter.
** Little spoiler if you haven't played the Ultimas **
Ahhh but I have to mention one thing! In the review, you state:
"Avatar is the character you have been playing since Ultima I."
Shame on you! Avatar is the character you have been playing since the end of Ultima IV! In Ultima I-IV, he was called The Stranger, and only at the very end of Ultima IV did he become the Avatar! I'm shocked! LOL
JimDandy is offline                         Send a private message to JimDandy
Old 27-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #159
Rutabaga

I've got a question I haven't seen covered here yet...

I'm using Dosbox to try to get U8 running, and it's all fine and well until I actually try to play the game. When I try to run U8, I get this error message, "this game cannot be run in DOS mode."

?

I'm running Dosbox on OSX and have piles of everything I should have piles of... any thoughts?

Old 29-11-2005, 03:16 AM   #160
inotoni
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to inotoni Send a message via AIM to inotoni Send a message via MSN to inotoni Send a message via Yahoo to inotoni

U8 was a disappointment compared to U7s. I actually finished the game back then without patch! U know.. with the crazy jumping. Looking forward to when Pentagram finishes.

Quote:
I'm running Dosbox on OSX and have piles of everything I should have piles of... any thoughts?
I don't think most of us have experience running U8 under Mac. :bye: