Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Does anyone have any weird or funny stories about AI in video games?

I just had a weird AI experience last tuesday. I was playing Hitman 2 demo on my new computer. It was the mansion mission where I had to kill the Mafia boss and save the priest.

In the whole job, I killed two guards and the boss. One of the guards was guarding a stairway to his bedroom. I killed the boss on a balcony where he was golfing. To get rid of the corpses, I tought it would be useful to throw them off the balcone. After twisting the mouse and carefully playing with my keyboard, I managed to dumb both of the corpses to the ground.

Then, a postman enters the mansion ground trought the gateway. He probably saw the corpses, because he suddenly started running towards the mansion door. I panicked and jumped down and when I looked up to the balcony, he was standing there.

I just had helloffa time to get to that room and he just had to run trought the guards! Weird. Why the hell did it do that?
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 15-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Morrin
Underground

One of the funnies AI stupidities is in GTA: San Andreas. You spread chaos to have five stars attention from national guard. Then, take "your" boat and sail to some harbor where you can watch infinite line of tanks driving from the harbor to the sea, trying to chase you.

I have photos from that somewhere I think (photos taken from in-game camera, one of the many cool features in the game). I'll try to dig them when I get home.. All those tanks lying in the bottom of the sea.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 15-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Ah Hitman... Going on rampage in 3rd part - but it was a kind of challenge i made. to clear up the whole hotel withought setting of any alarms. >

everything went fine at first. clearing up room after room. until i had to do the bar. i popped out the customer and bartender (cleared out the guard before that) but then this woman comes out of the toilettes and starts shoting "murderer!" or something. but she ran right towards me so fast that i ddi pistol swing instead of shot and missed. so she had enough time to get out. had to do her in the hallway. it alerted the guards.

anyway... psycho rating had to do it...

Other stuff:
Delta force 2 - you shoot the guy next to them and they just stare and look arround.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - AI running into anomaly or pack of dogs chasing "invisible" poltergeist. Corpses that get caught between stairs and start twitching (hilarious)

Farcry - when they sneak through the bushes behind you and shout - can give you a heart attack - almost.

In general - in games where they use supressing fire - and you are long gone but they still shoot in that direction and tzry to flank you. but instead you sneak up behind them and pwn them from behind.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 15-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Another good one was on Vice City. I was driving around the golf course with golf car. I spotted a group of elderly golfers and I tried to ran them over for some easy money. The golfers panick and run away, straight to the water!
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 15-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

My favourite was from this SWAT kind of game, when these highly trained elite commandos was about to storm through a door. One guy primed a grenade and threw it into the wall 1 meter from the door. We all got pretty shooked up, and the terrorists probably laughed themselves into surrender.

Last edited by Mighty Midget; 21-11-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Mighty Midget is offline                         Send a private message to Mighty Midget
Old 15-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Max Payne was really funny, enemies weren't able to throw grenades in the right way LOL
Old 15-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
Tervez
Never Compromise

A very odd thing in Deus Ex.

When you are at UNATCO base, and receive the mission to find the lost shipments of Ambrosia, you can bring the whole base in a state of chaos.

If you start causing trouble around, like shooting at people, the guards will try to kill you, naturally. However, if you manage to lead them downstairs where there is that vacuum cleaner bot and manage to hide somewhere, all the guards will attack it instead!

They'll eventually even forget about you, and you can watch all the guards trying to destroy the bot, which they can't because it's too low for them to hit. When they run out of bullets, they'll switch to knives, and no, they can't hit the thing even with those.

(No, I didn't discover it myself, but it's nevertheless one funny thing.)
Tervez is offline                         Send a private message to Tervez
Old 15-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Morrin
Underground

I think Deus Ex had a glitch that when you jump from very high position, and right at the moment where you are about to fall to the ground and die, throw a grenade below you and you land safely on the grenade when it bounces back.

Also, when terrorist is about to throw grenade to you at Raven Shield, just go around the corner and the aim of the terrorist stays towards you and throws _at_ you no matter if there is wall between. Results are devastating.

AND in half-life 2 you can fly around using doors and such. It's a bit tricky, but stand on a door, jump, crab the door, release the door, jump, crab etc etc.. or somehow like that...
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin