ASCEND.EXE ??

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 14-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #482
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knurps View Post
What did I miss?
You didn't gave any relevant details, OS? Program you used to unzip?
FYI: Ascend.exe is the file to run.
Quote:
....I extracted the zip moved the folder to my DOSbox
Moved? Hmmmm, doesn't sound to good, try 7zip , freeware and damn good, at least with that one you can unzip directly where the folder belongs.
And: delete your old folder before doing a new attempt.
Quote:
... started Dosbox and could not find any executable to run except the UVconfig.
Could you please state your mount lines and inputs in dosbox to get the game running?
95% of the problems with dosbox comes from badly mounted drives/folders.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #483
Inquisitor

one of the most fascinating games I played ever. Especially the particular abilities of every civilization were unique. I never played another space-game which built up such a good atmosphere. On my opinion there is just one weakness in gameplay: after you have conquered more than five starsystems the micromanagement on every planet gets on your nerves, because for me it was difficult to overview all the projects for each planet.
Inquisitor is offline                         Send a private message to Inquisitor
Old 15-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #484
knurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You didn't gave any relevant details, OS? Program you used to unzip?
FYI: Ascend.exe is the file to run.

Moved? Hmmmm, doesn't sound to good, try 7zip , freeware and damn good, at least with that one you can unzip directly where the folder belongs.
And: delete your old folder before doing a new attempt.

Could you please state your mount lines and inputs in dosbox to get the game running?
95% of the problems with dosbox comes from badly mounted drives/folders.
Thank you for taking care. And sorry for the few details only.

I run DOSbox on an OSX 10.5 and the folder move did not affect the content of it. See this screenshot for my Ascend folder content:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3461/files.png
As you see there is no other .exe except the UVconfig.

BUT you made the point with the zip tool. I used stuffit expander to extract the zip (with redownload etc.).

Two minutes ago I redownloaded and used OSX built-in extractor instead of stuffit and voila now I got more than one exe.

OK, now I am giving this game a try. According to the messages from other users it will take several hours till I will be back

Thanks again for the hint,
knurps

Old 27-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #485
jungwirsch
Lurker

Thumbs up Eagle of Fire: a personal ascendancy

On March 16, 2009, he wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
But believe me when I say this: even with the patch (which for me change absolutely nothing whatsoever), if you didn't win already before you even come close to getting to 2/3 of the total tech in the game then you are doing something wrong... This game is way too easy to win when you know what you are doing.
Compare this to September 19, 2004:

Quote:
In fact, this game is not that great. I played it again, and again I been disapointed.

If only I could build a bigger fleet than only 2 ships... But no! The computer just flood me until I can't do anything about it (even with several missiles at the same planet) and conquer my planets one by one...

And the AI patch is not good either... All it does is make the computer "biased" diplomatically VS you, so they'll all end up at war with you no matter what.

I voted for a 3 on 5 on the site. I would rather play MOO. :not_ok:
Talk about an obvious learning curve. Two thumbs up! :thumbs:

Hey, I'm pulling your leg! No offence meant
jungwirsch is offline                         Send a private message to jungwirsch
Old 27-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #486
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I don't really see the difference, except that now I know the loopholes one need to know to win...

I always said this game wasn't so great and that it didn't deserve it's 5/5 mark.
Old 30-06-2009, 05:46 AM   #487
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
I don't really see the difference, except that now I know the loopholes one need to know to win...

I always said this game wasn't so great and that it didn't deserve it's 5/5 mark.
I was 15 when I got this game. My English was spotty and yet I kicked AI ass from the start. The game may not be perfect, but if you follow standard 4X tactics (expand, explore, etc.), it's not very hard. The AI is pretty laid back and you can win the game easily by doing the following:

- get the research to build small ships + colonisation module
- get as many planets colonised from the start, even if they're small - it's free
- focus on defense of your planets, not ship weapons
- research better industrial & research structures

Doing this will quickly give you the edge since you'll be able to research a lot quicker and faster. The trade off is being weak early in the game but if your galaxy is large enough, that's not a real problem since your opponents won't declare war that quickly.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 09-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #488
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I disagree in one point: AI is so low that it almost doesnt matter what do you do or what dont do, you also can win by
-building only huge ships with lot of firepower and dont hesitate to declare war to some aliens just because they are ugly
-capture resourceful planets no matters how many invasions pods it takes you need new bases all the time. On minor planets wipe out the surface and capture it to deny it to enemy.
-dont build any defensive structure, use slow but heavily armed ships to block star lanes that connect to other empires and arent being used by the main fleet.
-research weapons, shields or armor. Also ship size is very important, the bigger they are, the harder they strike.

I was on my bad side of the bed but the ai of this game is a big deception
Old 09-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #489
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laiocfar View Post
I disagree in one point: AI is so low that it almost doesnt matter what do you do or what dont do, you also can win by
-building only huge ships with lot of firepower and dont hesitate to declare war to some aliens just because they are ugly
-capture resourceful planets no matters how many invasions pods it takes you need new bases all the time. On minor planets wipe out the surface and capture it to deny it to enemy.
-dont build any defensive structure, use slow but heavily armed ships to block star lanes that connect to other empires and arent being used by the main fleet.
-research weapons, shields or armor. Also ship size is very important, the bigger they are, the harder they strike.

I was on my bad side of the bed but the ai of this game is a big deception
The AI doesn't coordinate its attacks either - they'll send ships to your planets but only one at a time so with a few shields and long range defenses, they don't stand a chance.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 11-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #490
Mrylanxus

Cool An Online Manual

If anyone is interested, I created an online manual here:

Ascendency

Hope y'all enjoy.

rmfr
Mrylanxus is offline                         Send a private message to Mrylanxus