Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-07-2005, 12:55 AM   #1
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4714135.stm

I am not sure it is such a good idea for this.
but...
anyway/
What do you think?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 28-07-2005, 01:27 AM   #2
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

stupid. scientists keep coming up with robots, but they are real dumb. they jerk left right forward backwards up down. thats about it. robots these days really arent very realistic. If you want some cool stuff to look at, look at this:

Shadow Robotics
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 28-07-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I just want to clarify, when I said scary, I didn't mean by what it can do. But looking at that thing looking like a human but not getting any "life signs" of it weird for me.

Not that I wouldn't accept a "Data" as living but that is another discussion.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 28-07-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
omg
Games Master

if you look at the rate computers have advanced. in the 80s we has games with 4 colours and 2 d graphics. when isometric projection came out it was a reveloution. compare that to one of todays 3d fps and you see how rapidly it can advance.
they are clearly getting there with this robotics thing. give it 10 more years and there will be models that make the ones they have now look like kiddies toys.
bring it on! as a kid i was led to belive that we would have gotten humans to jupiter by now and that evry home would be run by super intelligent computers. i for one was looking forwards to having a robot to cook for me and stuff. this is one more step towards the sci fi dream!!
just remember folks, robots always must rise and destroy there masters. its just the way it has to be. its like a law or an old charter or something.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 28-07-2005, 03:21 AM   #5
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

Maybe you are right, omg.

But people look towards the future with such promise, when it really advances like a slug. You were told we would go to Jupiter by now? look where we are. nowhere. I am told that we will have super intelligent androids by the time I grow up. We probably arent going to be anywhere near there when I am 25.
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 28-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

That Jupiter voyage will probably have to wait at least 50 more years. Even a colony on Mars will have to wait 50 more years before it's possible in practice..
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 28-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hmm, would a female android really be called an 'android'? Shouldn't it be 'gyndroid' or something equally weird?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 28-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #8
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

It's a piece of plastic and metal. It could look like George Bush, for all I care--I still wouldn't feel like striking off its head, as I do the real George Bush. Just think of it as a sort of decorative lamp. Whatever the form may be, the purpose remains that of a lamp. And I suspect the reason they chose this form was to get attention from all the newspapers, who just love to eat up bubblegum-flavored nonsense.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 28-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

That's not a robot, that's a high-tech dressingdummy, I've seen mannequins in clothingstore look freakishly realistic, but just because this one can move doesn't mean it's a robot. Still I'm sure there are quite a few Japanese fratboys drooling all over her.

It's scary that somebody would waste their time making a 'robot' look more realistic when he could have spent his or her time working on an actually functunal robot... like the ones they've been promising us for years... I'm getting tired of brushing my own teeth!
Old 29-07-2005, 02:27 AM   #10
omg
Games Master

i get what you are saying about it being a hi tech dummy. what i worry about is the japaneese spending time on makin lifelike female androids, femdroids, gyndroids, whatever.
you know what they are going to be doing with them.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg