Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 21-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #101
faeornran
Forum hobbit

I'm only 18 and I find myself agreeing with the OP. I still find enjoyment for multiple games, but things like Grand Theft Auto lose their touch for me quickly. I loved Elder Scrolls III. I played it for over 200 hours mostly because the only thing I wanted to work towards was becoming a werewolf. About half of that time was spent AS a werewolf, and I loved it to death. Oblivion? Nah. The graphics are great, sure, but the gameplay is almost exactly the same. The only thing different? Rolls and the ability to control your shield. Whoop de doo. I didn't spend much time on it.

I grew up from baby to now on these old video games we all play here at Abandonia. Those old games for me mean many things, my top three being:

1. Memories with my sister (no, she's not dead, I just don't see her much any more)
2. Storytelling - Older games seem to be a lot better at telling us an interesting, enjoyable story. You can also include humor here, because pretty much all of Sierra's old games had great humor in them
3. Gameplay - The graphics? Who needs em! These old games did plenty well with what they had, but had enough to look beautiful for the technology they used. The real strength is in the gameplay, which is what sets apart certain games from others.

Also, I wonder if I know you, Icewolf. Have you ever played Dransik before?
faeornran is offline                         Send a private message to faeornran
Old 22-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #102
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faeorn Ran @ Mar 21 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]284475[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Also, I wonder if I know you, Icewolf. Have you ever played Dransik before?[/b]
No, sorry. I'd actually like to make that nick copyrighterd for me, but I guess that's pretty much pointless...

I'm not an online gamer at all. But I think I'll become one if I find the time.

EDIT: Maybe I'm a moron here - was this actually an invitation...?
Old 23-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #103
jg007
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ado @ Mar 11 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]282929[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(humorguy @ Mar 11 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]282917[/snapback]
Quote:
We don't really get adventures any more...
[/b]
this is true though - i never quite understood why people just started to lose interest in adventure games when they were so popular back in the 90s. strange.
[/b][/quote]

not true!!! just go visit - www.ghostinthesheet.com & www.justadventure.com

ghost in the sheet is not finished yet but I think it looks great so far also I have seen quite a few other adventure games on www.justadventure.com that look pretty great and that I might buy so no, I don't agree at all that the adventure genre is dead, you just have to look a bit harder .
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 25-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #104
Looking Glass

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Mar 21 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]284436[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I do agree with quite a few things said before, but there's something I'm afraid hadn't been said yet.

Yes, we are getting old.

When a gamer is younger, the life is simpler. In other words, how many of us (who aren't living a carefree lives at home, with somebody else taking care of the household) really have enough time to get into a game?

I've seen and bought some new games that impressed me at first, but I never even got the chance to find out if I really like them, because I would have to take a weekend off to get into those games. That's why I still have some games I never even played (even a few years after I've bought them). It's a sad fact, but at a certain point in time, reserving time to play long games simply falls down to the bottom positions on the priority list.

With older games it's simpler. We remember them, we can recollect memories, tricks we used to know and it's easier to get back into them. Plus they have a certain sentimental value no new game could ever posses (simply because it's new and can't bring us back into the carefree days of the past).
[/b]
I think that you have said it exactly how it is - I feel the same way.

I also have this bad habit of buying games (I am a bit of a bargain bin hunter) but all that happens is, at most I will play just a handful and the rest will be added to my collection. Where they might (very rarely) get played a few years down the line, most get never touched again. As an example, I had Deus Ex for a few years before I put in the effort to really play the game, only played it at the end of 2005/2006 start of period, but even then I actually regarded and still do, as the greatest game I have ever played.

It's not so much I don't want to play them as it is I just can't.

The funny thing is, if I installed some old game that I have played before I could play it a bit right then, but doing that for a new game seems like too much effort for me nowdays. I guess that's why I am going more for the quick simply games when I do get time/feel to play a game. I used to be really into CRPGS, but now I cringe when I think about the time investment needed not only to actually learn the game, but to play it and finish it.

Heck, it took me ~6 months to finish BG1 and ~8 months to finish BG2 when I was still in high school, and even then I was gaming a lot, not every day, but I didn't have to worry about time then as I do now. Now if I think about playing a CRPG, I don't even want to think about it.

The ironic thing is while it seems I am losing my passion for gaming, maybe just getting a little older, getting new hobbies, losing interest in old ones, I still surf all the major gaming sites and Abandonware ones, to read up about games and the newest and greatest titles. I still long for the memories of the past, but to be honest with myself, I really do the the magic is going.

I have also stopped my bargain-bin "spending" sprees ;p. Not that its a "money-money" issue when you buying the games dirt cheap, more of a waste of money issue nowdays for me, since all that is most likely to happen is I buy some older AAA game that I was hoping to get at the time it originally came out, but it will just end up in my collection of games I wanted to play but never got around to - which happens to have been increasing as well.

Problem is though, when you stop going after some oldies, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you are most likely never going to ever get that game again at that price, not to mention that you are in all likely hood going to miss out on a bit of gaming history.

I guess you just got to realize that you can't play them all - you have to say good-bye some time right? I said good-bye to the TV along time ago - will it be so hard to say good bye to gaming as well

Man I can so see myself one day as an old man saying, back in my day gaming was magical ...
Looking Glass is offline                         Send a private message to Looking Glass
Old 27-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #105
Morrin
Underground

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Mar 21 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]284445[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Exactly. So to them a game like Medal of Honour will represent something like (let's say) C&C represented to us. It's not the matter of which game is better, it's about capturing the spirit of the generation that grows up with it.

And we're not growing up with games anymore, which does in a way alienate us from what is currently made.
[/b]
Instead of listening those whiners, that is perhaps the best explanation I have ever readed and I completely agree.
So, each of us plays what we like to play and that's it. Not much point to whine about it.. The youngsters giggle about playing some primitive oldies, but retro is cool man!
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 27-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #106
humorguy
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jg007 @ Mar 23 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]284681[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ado @ Mar 11 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]282929[/snapback]
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(humorguy @ Mar 11 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]282917[/snapback]
Quote:
We don't really get adventures any more...
[/b]
this is true though - i never quite understood why people just started to lose interest in adventure games when they were so popular back in the 90s. strange.
[/b][/quote]

not true!!! just go visit - www.ghostinthesheet.com & www.justadventure.com

ghost in the sheet is not finished yet but I think it looks great so far also I have seen quite a few other adventure games on www.justadventure.com that look pretty great and that I might buy so no, I don't agree at all that the adventure genre is dead, you just have to look a bit harder .
[/b][/quote]

Never said adventure games were dead, but if you have to look harder for them, they are not doing well. By dead anyway, I think in terms of general gamers that just go into their games store on a Saturday and picks from what's on show. In the 90's he would almost always have an adventure or two to choose from. No longer. Now in that general gaming mass market, compared with the 90's adventure gaming is dead I am afraid.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 28-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #107
faeornran
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Mar 22 2007, 03:49 AM) [snapback]284532[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faeorn Ran @ Mar 21 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]284475[/snapback]
Quote:
Also, I wonder if I know you, Icewolf. Have you ever played Dransik before?[/b]
No, sorry. I'd actually like to make that nick copyrighterd for me, but I guess that's pretty much pointless...

I'm not an online gamer at all. But I think I'll become one if I find the time.

EDIT: Maybe I'm a moron here - was this actually an invitation...?
[/b][/quote]

Oh, no, you're not an idiot. LOL. I was asking because I made a friend on Dransik (which is now called Ashen Empires) some six or eight years ago, except it was actually Iceword o'Delik instead of just Icewolf.

I was just curious. Oh, don't bother copyrighting the name, he's Finnish so it won't really affect him, unless you can get one over there ;p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Mar 21 2007, 07:07 AM) [snapback]284445[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Exactly. So to them a game like Medal of Honour will represent something like (let's say) C&C represented to us. It's not the matter of which game is better, it's about capturing the spirit of the generation that grows up with it.

And we're not growing up with games anymore, which does in a way alienate us from what is currently made.
[/b]
I disagree. There are many games that are new that I love playing and will actually sometimes come back to.

For example, Morrowind. How old is that now? 4 or 5 years? At any rate, it's not that old, yet I've found myself playing that over again before. I loved the system and everything, and the graphics are far better than all of the older games. The graphics are nice, but again the gameplay had me enthralled.

Another game that I loved to death was Half Life 2. It had awesome graphics and sweet gameplay, but unfortunately a far too linear storyline. The exploration was good, though, as it didn't feel I was just going in a straight line. I've beaten it thrice so far, my last time being last year.

Resident Evil 4. Ho, man! Sure, it's not a PC game, but it's a console game with FLAIR. It's not too old still yet it's my favorite Gamecube game- I can think of several older games that I would pass up to play RE4 simply because the graphics, gameplay and story all scare the crap out of me, and I love it to death. I've beaten it three times.

My point, though, is that games aren't necessarily losing quality; it's just that the games with quality are fewer and farther inbetween. I've beaten Fable one time on the XBox and tried to play it again on the PC but found myself unable to play for longer than 30 minutes. Personally I loved the game, but the way the game works just doesn't interest me as much as other games because you end up at the same place no matter what way you develop your character. *shrug*

That's my take on it. I was interrupted a lot while trying to type this out so if it seems as though I'm rambling incoherently then feel free to ask questions (or point and laugh).
faeornran is offline                         Send a private message to faeornran
Old 29-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #108
humorguy
Super Freak

Faeron, you hit the nail on the head. Most people think that a 'dead' PC games market is no PC games at all. But what it is is when a market cannot sustain itself due to lack of quality product. As quality PC games become fewer and further between it will rely on the independent games industry to teach gamers that graphics isn't everything and that we will have to start again, with simpler, cheaper, downloadable games from independent publishers teaching a lot of us that gameplay is king, and as they sell more games, so the games will get a little bigger, with better AI, etc.

Alternatively, PC gaming will just slowly fade away, with nobody in ten years being able to say exactly when it ended.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 23-09-2007, 02:15 AM   #109
thebes
Game freak

I just miss the old days of the Cinemaware games. Great little stories and fun to play. Guess I had more time too. :smurf:
Luke 7:23 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
thebes is offline                         Send a private message to thebes
Old 23-09-2007, 03:04 AM   #110
tea3rd

i miss the old point and click game's like mummy tomb of the pharaoh or broken sword
tea3rd is offline                         Send a private message to tea3rd
Closed Thread