Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #71
Arael
Lurker

Word 1, line 3, page 4?

(Omsk, obviously ><)

edit: Never mind, I had the wrong version.
Arael is offline                         Send a private message to Arael
Old 15-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #72

Help, I can't progress past these combats. I put auto-combat on and let the computer calculate the results. Now I got 400 Soldiers, 5 MGs, 5 Cannons and 15 Mammoths and get attacked by a Viking Union Train.

In the results screen he comes with 8 soldiers, 0 mg, 0 cannons and 0 mammoths, however I lost almost everything but still won the battle.

He killed all my mammoths plus 380 soldiers, any idea how much those cost?? It already happened to me twice, the first time I traded long time to afford to buy all new, but this is hilarious!

Old 24-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #73
person1
Lurker

Great that people are still playing this.
I was playing back in the day in 1995 on the Atari Falcon.

I never finished it but thanks to the walkthrough on this site I will have some fun with it, what a blast from th past. Great game.
person1 is offline                         Send a private message to person1
Old 29-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #74
navarro
Abandonia nerd

Hi evereybody.
I've gone through the posts here, and I've got a problem that's not mentioned here (or maybe i was in such a rush to get to the latest post that I've missed the explaination). After running the game, and choosing the language, It tells me that I have to insert disk A in drive B and then press return. Pressing ANY key for that matter won't work whatsoverer.
Waiting for an answer... Cheers.

Also, I haven't found any mentions of this matter in the manual.

EDIT: I think it MAY have something to do with the drive mounting. Running it with out dos-box seems to work. Only problem is - it takes forever to get to the main menu part.

Last edited by navarro; 29-04-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Update om my "problem".
navarro is offline                         Send a private message to navarro
Old 04-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #75
navarro
Abandonia nerd

OK- now i'm really getting pissed. WITHOUT dosbox it works, but no matter what memory/compatibilty settings i use by modifying the settings when right cliking on "start.exe" ( I have Win XP, btw) it moves incredibly slow. TOO slow to play. When I use dos box the intro works perfectly. FAST, fluid. BUT after the credits screen they say "insert disk a in drive b, and blah blah blah... " . I think it can't be anything else but a mounting problem. Do I need an image file or something??? I'm sorry, but even with the manuals in front of me it's difficult to make things work.

PS : Sorry for doubleposting - didn't see that I could STILL edit my previous older post.

Last edited by navarro; 04-05-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #76
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

I will add Transarctica boxshots tomorrow.
Don't know if it will be helpful

I think it could not be so banal, but did you use numpad. Regular numbers will not work.

Last edited by Romano; 04-05-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #77
navarro
Abandonia nerd

Yes I did. It just goes blank for 1sec (or less), and then displays the same thing. No matter what keys I press (including those on the numpad). Like I said - I am pretty sure it's a mounting issue wich I'm having trouble with. I'm using the latest version of dosbox (and the latest upadated version of "D-fend Reloaded" ).:worried:

It's not about language selection or anything else...

How DO I do the mounting manually anyay?? Auto-mounting doesn't seem to do the trick this time around.

Last edited by navarro; 05-05-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #78
ShadowBlade
Abandonia nerd

Awesome game! I'm still learning the ropes, though.

Any trading tips? I can see a bunch of trade goods for sale at most towns, but I don't have enough money to experiment and look for optimal trade routes. My mediocre income has been coming from a couple of lignite mines I managed to exploit with my 20 slaves and 4 mammoths. Anthracite's slowly running out (just below 300 now, nothing too serious), and the last 3 mines discovered were lignite ones (I could only get 47 baks from the last anthracite one, as I didn't have any slaves and just one mammoth back then).

Also, how do I alter the position of the train's wagons? I haven't bought the Drill yet, but I know it has to be either on the very front or very back of the train. New wagons are placed at the back, and if I want more after purchasing the Drill, I don't want them taking up the rearmost spot. And besides, wagon position will be important once I get cannon and MG wagons.

Finally, I'm playing at level 1, which I'm already feeling might be too easy. I only had two war-train encounters in quite a bit of travelling. I escaped from one and lost the other battle only because I was stupid. The other train was short, only had a handful of soldiers and a single machine gun. After placing a bomb on that wagon, I sent my men right into the line of fire, and since they were my last, I lost. I've had no mole men encounters either, even though I ran through a long underground passage.

Which difficulty level would you recommend? And is it possible to change it mid-game or do I've to restart?
ShadowBlade is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowBlade
Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #79
navarro
Abandonia nerd

Trading tips? Get a note-pad, write the prices down. YOu cand buy a product foar a certain price/quantity in one town and sell it more expensive in another. That's one way to make money , another would be coalmines, and the other - the enemy trains. The combat modes is somewhat... I dunno... not as good as it could be. With long trains you cand loose track of things, and by the time you're done dealing with mamoths/soldier at one end of the train, they're done with yours (and your trucks,carts,soldiers/whatever) at the other. A better equipped enemy train could quite easily kick your butt. Mole men do show up quite often even on lvl 1 dificulty - just a matter of odds.
Played this game a while back (on a different computer).

STILL haven't solved my problem though. DOESNT ANYONE know what it could be?? Come on, please!! (BTW: "METAL MUTANT" wich is also made by silmarils has exactly the same problem. Works without dosbox - but moves so slow it's almost standing still - intro and everything works fine WITH dosbox - but you have to insert the goddamn disk A in the drive. What the hell sort of disk are they talking about?)

Last edited by navarro; 06-05-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #80
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
How DO I do the mounting manually anyay??
Read "A beginner's guide to DOSBox" sticky in Troubleshooting forum.
And, try mounting the game directory as A: drive with -t floppy?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman