Old 08-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #801
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i think that the lenght of the text scares peopel away
Old 08-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #802
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Can't be helped, I'm afraid. Only way to shorten it would be to dumb down a lot of the text... and we know what results this had the last time round.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #803
navarro
Abandonia nerd

Don't "shoot" me if this has been asked before, but:
I have win xp, and if i try to use dosbox - don't work. If I try to run "xcomapoc", the application, it worx (sound's a bit dodgy but what the heck), BUT... the mouse cursor moves incredibly slow in the game... is there any way I can fix that?
navarro is offline                         Send a private message to navarro
Old 15-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #804
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Yup. Increase mouse sensitivity in DOSBox.conf.
Sound stuttering can also be fixed (scalers to none, output to ddraw, core to dynamic, IIRC there was some fix with blocksize/prebuffer settings).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #805
navarro
Abandonia nerd

Problem iz it does NOT workin dosbox. The error message I get: it cannot open xcom.cfg on drive L (whaterver the heck that means, there's no drive with that letter on my pc. The drive letter i used for the "mounting" part (with d-fend) is D.
The VDM-apoc apllication in my xcom apocalypse folder worx - but - no sound. And (like I said.. xcomapoc.exe worx fine - except for the slow cursor part. So... looks like whatever I choose, something's to my disadvantage.

Since I haven't actually used this type of programs or played such games in long time, I'm pretty much back to "noob", so don't laugh if I don't undersand proprerly all the stuff you tell me.

Done with the mouse problem. But the sound still stutters. (Again, I want to make 1 fact clear: NOT using dosbox)
Old 17-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #806
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

1. Don't use D-Fend!!! It's known to case trouble!
2. Open Dosbox.conf and find the line that determines mouse sensitivity. Double the value. It's what I did and the mouse worked smooth in Apoc ever since then.
3. VDMSound might help regarding mouse and sound, but with Apocalypse it tends to crash every so often..
4. Regarding drive letters, look into the game directory. There were some CFG or INI files there, one of which had a drive letter. Replace that drive letter with the path to the game directory in DOSBox.

-- Reed Richards
Old 25-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #807
Talix_splinterscale

after setting up dosbox i am able to play X-Com - Apocalypse once more. :w00t: :brain:
Thank you ever so much

Old 26-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #808
navarro
Abandonia nerd

Well... I just Ignored the other problems, the game worked ok. But sometimes after a tactical mission, less then 1 sec after I clike the "ok" button on combat window message that appears before the debriefing screen (the message that says "all hostile unit are deat, etc" or "all your units have fled the combate zone" or whatever, the game just crashes and exits to windows. The game window closes right on the spot, too. As I usually save my game quite often, that never actually posed a problem, as a I renterd, reloaded the game and finished the mission without the game crashing again.

BUT... now, after having destroyed some of the allien buildings, It just started crashing and exiting every time. Every time the mission ended, after cliking "ok" to go to the debriefing screen it *****n crahed (pardon my french). I tryed reloading from an earlyer point in time, in strategy mode, and not saving ang just going through the tactical mission, finnished it but STILL - Same result.

It' very very disappointing AND annoying.
Old 29-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #809

AH-HA

Finally got the music to work.

I own the Windows-95 CD version of Xcom Apocalypse.

This is what I did.

I simply copied the 304 meg music file into a folder, mounted the folder containing the music file to be drive F in dosbox, and loaded up the game with dosbox, clicked the music icon next to the volume bar inside the game options. Pow Music. :brain:

Now the music is slightly choppy, and I just have to tweak some settings to make it flawless.

This is what I named the folder containing the music file
D:\dosbox\apoc\apocmusic

Then mounted the drive

*Dosbox config file*
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c d:\dosbox
mount d f:\ -t cdrom
mount f D:\dosbox\apoc\apocmusic
c:
cd apoc
cd apoc

Old 29-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #810

I forgot to mention, the CD version of the game I could not get to run.

I used the downloaded version here from ABANDONIA, and copied only the music file from the CD.

Hope this helps some people.