Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #11
Unregistered non-gamer

I'm actually trying to find the full version of this? Does anybody know where to get it? I stubled across this forum while looking for it.

Yes I'm a Christian and I believe the Bible, but I don't see this as a propaganda game. I think the intent of the game was for Christian parents & leaders to teach their own children & students. I would not take offense. Nobody is forcing it on you.

I am not a gamer, but I was looking for computer games that teach scripture. The thing that stood out about this game is it teaches to apply scripture rather than rote learning random verses without thinking about their meaning. I cannot find any equivalent sort of game that is more recent. Most of the games are quite superficial, they don't really teach much. I am a teacher and quite fussy about this.

Anyway, the organization that owns the copyright doesn't seem to have it anymore.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered non-gamer View Post
I'm actually trying to find the full version of this? Does anybody know where to get it? I stubled across this forum while looking for it.

Yes I'm a Christian and I believe the Bible, but I don't see this as a propaganda game. I think the intent of the game was for Christian parents & leaders to teach their own children & students. I would not take offense. Nobody is forcing it on you.

I am not a gamer, but I was looking for computer games that teach scripture. The thing that stood out about this game is it teaches to apply scripture rather than rote learning random verses without thinking about their meaning. I cannot find any equivalent sort of game that is more recent. Most of the games are quite superficial, they don't really teach much. I am a teacher and quite fussy about this.

Anyway, the organization that owns the copyright doesn't seem to have it anymore.
Actually, uhmm, this should be the full version.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Unregistered non-gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
Actually, uhmm, this should be the full version.
Oh, I didn't realise you had a link to it on your website, thank you. My son had been previously playing the limited edition which seemed to be the only one available elsewhere. Now to get it working without the MIDI playing up... Works with the music off, but when you go to the first game level it goes to the black screen & gets out of the game. I've tried all the different MIDI options and it does the same thing. I also notice that when you turn music off, it simply stops MIDI instructions, so any notes that have not stopped continue to play. Is this a bug with the game or is there some setting up I can do?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'd say the problem lies somewhere between the fact this game was originall released for DOS and the lousy backwards compatiblity of any given Windows version.

Probably the problem can be resolved by running the game through DOSBox.
For a rudimentary guide on what that is and how to operate it, check this link: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14406

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
Unregistered non-gamer

Much appreciated. I will try this.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Arrow Some helpful tips...

Yes, you'll need Dosbox...and just drag and drop "CB.exe" over top of "dosbox.exe" and it should be functional. If there's no sound, download Vdmsound and drag and drop it over top of "setsnd.bat"; and then, drag "cb.exe" over top of "dosbox.exe" and it should then be fully functional--with sound and effects.

A note to the critics; there are actually other "religious" games that are on the market. I do remember specifically reading of one on Mobygames that taught children hinduism and also, speaking of Hinduism, my mind is flashing images of the game "Nirvana" and another game where you had to navigate through a maze and rescue different incarnations of Vishnu before the time clock ran out (or before the bad guy got 'im, can't remember which at the moment).

So Captain Bible isn't the ONLY religious game that's out there...

And oh, one last thing...

I Am Alive makes mention of an earthquake god; should we label IT propaganda too? If it IS some kind of propaganda game, then I'd say it would be a massive promotional for bottled water.

I mean...think about it; three guys chasing a scrawny kid around for some water (and not just ANY water but BOTTLED too)?

You know what I think it is? I think it's a CONSPIRACY!

jfritzyb is offline                         Send a private message to jfritzyb
Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #17
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Smile

But I digress...

Here are some helpful tips in playing the game:

1. Take advantage of every opportunity to upload your computer Bible with verses at the little blue scripture stations. You will see why later.
2. In every level, there is a victim you must rescue; however, they are guarded by different cybers and it is these cybers you must take on and defeat if you hope to win the game.
3. When you confront each cyber [robot], they will present you with a lie which you must counter with the appropriate Bible verse. Once you have applied the appropriate verse, you will switch into battle mode; while in battle mode, it is VERY important to remember that each cyber attacks and defends itself differently; find out how they attack and defend themselves and use that knowledge to your advantage! (Note that you will hit harder and defend yourself better if you obtain the shield of faith and the sword of the spirit; more on obtaining these later). In closing, look closely at your opponent as some are similar, but attack differently based on the markings on their "outer shell" (ie macho cybers with "Y" on eye-lid shoot spiked stars out of their eye, others without that marking don't).
4. Prayer chapels are important as this is where your "faith meter" is restored (click on it at any time to find out what percentage it is at). To obtain the Sword of the Spirit and Shield of Faith icon, you must have the appropriate verses in order to obtain them (so if you ask for the shield of faith, you must have the Bible verse that deals with the shield of faith).
On this note, it is important to mention...the dark hallways; you MUST have the candle icon! I cannot stress this enough! You MUST have it!
5. Finally, once you've soundly beaten those evil cybers up, you must then deal with the victim; now, each victim is different and is dealing with different issues so different Bible verses and different approaches are necessary if you're going to deal with each victim correctly. I'll let you figure that all out for yourself though (I don't want to tell you everything!)
6. There are other "special" things that you will discover as you play the game; the jump room, the leech cyber, the special level where you can fly, the uni...oops!

Don't want to tell you everything!

So there you have it...

Enjoy!

~ JD
Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #18
Acethor
HECU Marine

I played this game years ago when I was little... I remember the 'bosses' used to scare me... especially the guy in the sheepskin and the guy with all the tubes coming out of him

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #19
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acethor View Post
I played this game years ago when I was little... I remember the 'bosses' used to scare me... especially the guy in the sheepskin and the guy with all the tubes coming out of him
Lol; I remember them all too well.

Old 13-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #20
punkassbitch
Abandonia nerd

I see no difference between this game and say, um, Bio Menace. This game suffers from a "bad' Storyline but it certainly isn't the first....or last!
punkassbitch is offline                         Send a private message to punkassbitch