Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

But then again, SP2 is also even crappier for old software while SP1 allows you to keep playing old games without as much trouble.

Beleive me, I know...
Old 27-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #22
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
juanca sp1 misses some vital security patches and many programs or applications won't actually run, since they require dot net framework v2 or higher, which requires at least sp2 to have installed
For Some reason I thought it would make it slower, and I do have a copy of win xp sp3... so should i upgrade it without making it even slower?

about disableing applications I already disabled as many apps as possible (messenger, msn, explorer, windows media player ....)

right now it is working fine...little bit slow but fine...the thing is that when i received it did not have any antivirus or antimalware installed and it was working pretty fast. Then I installed avira and boclean (not many resources needed) but you can see the difference of performance. So if an antivirus is a must, I started thinking maybe I should change the OS. And here I am trying to get the best from the old laptop :embarassed:

maybe I should also ask if there are less resource-demanding but strong antiviruses, or is there a better, not so demanding confirguration for security.
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 27-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #23
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

From experience, installing "new" software in old PC and expecting the resource allocation to be "small" is a huge mistake. "New" software, especially those which got out after Vista came out, take for granted that you will be using a beast to run them. The definition of "minimal resource use" changed over time.

I've had software installed in my computer for years which simply refused to work when I updated their version. But they still updated their defintion files fine with the old version, without the need to update, and that without any problem.

If you wish to find the "optimal" performance then I suggest that you go look at oldversion.com for older version of the same programs.
Old 27-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanca View Post
the thing is that when i received it did not have any antivirus or antimalware installed and it was working pretty fast. Then I installed avira and boclean
beeeeep big mistake. service pack 2 with security leaks patched +even the default firewall equals no threats unless you download very suspicious files. viruses don't pop up for themselves (if you have security leaks closed), they install only after you manually open suspicious excutables or scripts.

Quote:
So if an antivirus is a must
i run without any antivirus. at first i had that basic microsoft preinstalled firewall but then after i closed all the holes i don't even use that one. it works like that for about 2 years now and recently i ran a virus scan just out of curiousity, 0 threads, 0 infectinos

for start, disable autoruns on all your drives with tweakUI (saves you a lot of trouble, believe me)

and close the most critical holes with windows worm hole cleaner

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 28-03-2009 at 01:25 AM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 27-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #25
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Since you're not using any specialized programs (Photoshop, etc.) just get a LiveCD of Ubuntu, Debian, or any other Linux distro.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 28-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #26
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
beeeeep big mistake. service pack 2 with security leaks +even the default firewall equals no threads unless you download very suspicious files. viruses don't pop up for themselves (if you have security leaks closed), they install only after you manually open suspicious excutables or scripts.

i run without any antivirus. at first i had that basic microsoft preinstalled firewall but then after i closed all the holes i don't even use that one. it works like that for about 2 years now and recently i ran a virus scan just out of curiousity, 0 threads, 0 infectinos

for start, disable autoruns on all your drives with tweakUI (saves you a lot of trouble, believe me)

and close the most critical holes with windows worm hole cleaner
Thanks a lot It seems reasonable and a very good option I think I will go for that one. BTW how did you make the virus scan after two years? online virus scan or just install a program and uninstall it?
Sri Aurobindo
Old 28-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #27
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i used this online free scanner by kaspersky lab (one of the best antiviruses, only nod can compete)
Old 29-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #28
Juanca
Eternal Player

Ok, I am following Russ advices + using a users limited account and it is working pretty good.

Do you think I should get also a full recovery program? those programs that recover not only the system but also all your files and software and configuration as it was in case of any crash or virus?
Do you have any to recommend?( freeware please. as always)
Sri Aurobindo
Old 30-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #29
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

for that i recommend using windows defualt recovery thingy

WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe
Old 31-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #30
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
for that i recommend using windows defualt recovery thingy

WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe
Yes I thougt the same but The main difference with other programs is that you can restore the system even before windows starts to load. with this windows system restore the best you can do is to go to safe mode at the beginning and restore the system from there... Am I right?
Sri Aurobindo