Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
dosraider
Dismembered.

A 20 GB HD isn't really enough for a dual boot IMO, it can be done, but it's kinda crappy.

As for the live CD: It will give you an idea what Ubu is about, but it's far from the real thing, as it's slow (CD speed<HD speed) and it takes in fact too long to load and set up the kernel.
But yeah, you can get an idea ..... nothing more.

About W98SE: ask around, there are enough CDs laying around somewhere.
BTW, remark I talk about W98SE, and that's the one you should go for.

[Edit]
A propos, if you really want to try Ubuntu or Xubuntu you'd better register and talk about it on the Ubu forums, there you'll get the best answers.
As far as I know there are Ubu forums in almost any language.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 24-03-2009 at 04:01 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 24-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
red_avatar
Administrator

You can buy Windows 98 for next to nothing anyway. But still, what you plan to do with it pretty much dictates what you should go for.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 25-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #13
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
You can buy Windows 98 for next to nothing anyway. But still, what you plan to do with it pretty much dictates what you should go for.
It will be a computer mainly for internet browsing, watching videos, listening music and from time to time using the word processor and spreadsheet (not gaming)
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 25-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

For that kind of use then you should definitely at least go with Windows XP. XP service pack 1 is perfect, that's what I been using for the past five years.

Playing games will not be a factor for you, but using Words could be if you stick with lower version of Windows. And since what you plan to do with the laptop is to do all the "trendy" things on the 'net about every joe average use or do on the 'net those days then you require something which is or will be compatible easily with modern utilities.

So, unless you are really felling adventurous or want to settle a personnal goal by exploring a new OS like Unbuntu, I'd recommend that you stick with XP SP1.

I really don't understand what the appeal of Windows 98SE would be. I used it for many years and you can't use the OS more than about 8 hours without having heavy stability failures and having to reboot. XP is way better in almost all aspects... Except for compatibility.
Old 25-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #15
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
I really don't understand what the appeal of Windows 98SE would be. I used it for many years and you can't use the OS more than about 8 hours without having heavy stability failures and having to reboot. XP is way better in almost all aspects... Except for compatibility.
Well it beats Windows XP on low hardware when it comes to performance. Since this is a laptop, I doubt he'd leave it running for hours on end anyway. I'm mostly worried about the 256MB RAM he has. That's the minimum for Windows XP to work properly and browsers these days eat memory like mad! My own old P4 laptop had 512MB and was already pushing itself.

Of course, if you want to surf, Windows XP is a must since you won't get many up-to-date browsers for Windows 98.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 25-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #16
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
Well it beats Windows XP on low hardware when it comes to performance. Since this is a laptop, I doubt he'd leave it running for hours on end anyway. I'm mostly worried about the 256MB RAM he has. That's the minimum for Windows XP to work properly and browsers these days eat memory like mad! My own old P4 laptop had 512MB and was already pushing itself.

Of course, if you want to surf, Windows XP is a must since you won't get many up-to-date browsers for Windows 98.
I've got 512 mB and 446 mB of RAM on my desktop and laptop respectively, and both run incredibly sluggishly after running three or four different processes. So I would also suggest 98SE.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 26-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #17
Juanca
Eternal Player

Thanks a lot friends,
I will keep xp sp1 for a time and in the meanwhile find a copy of windows 98se somewhere on the internet for free (any suggestion please pm me).

Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 26-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #18
dosraider
Dismembered.

BTW, W2K would also run pretty fine on such configuration, it's not as greedy as XP.
Advantage is that on W2K most up-to-date software will run.

Just a thought ...
BTW, I talk about W2Ksp4 ......

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 26-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
Japo
Autonomous human

Why outdated SP1? Do you have evidence that updates make Windows slower? You can always disable unnecessary services and stuff, that's unrelated to service pack.
Old 26-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #20
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

juanca sp1 misses some vital security patches and many programs or applications won't actually run, since they require dot net framework v2 or higher, which requires at least sp2 to have installed

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 26-03-2009 at 07:02 PM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.