Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 17-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
What i read about utorrent and i find very tempting is that it has an automatic configuration system and the program finds the best settings for your type of connection and system...Is this true?
Don't know, I've been using the same exact version of uTorrent for... last three years? Time flies, eh?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

Well it's not an AI but it does give you advice depending on your connection and stuff, although I don't remember that it detect anything on its own, I think you have to tell it. Pretty much like the eMule configuration wizard. For some reason downloading too many files at a time has disastrous consequences for both download speed and processor usage, unlike with the eMule protocol. What uTorrent does--just like other clients I guess--is downloading at the same time only as many files as your machine can take--depending on what you told it--and queue the rest.

BTW if you happened to use the Opera browser, it can download files through BitTorrent too, so you would't need an additional client. At least for occasional downloads, not for mass piracy, because it won't do the queuing automatically for you.
Old 17-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

I use uTorrent because I can. To be honest, I found BitTorrent quite clumsy and not particularly reliable. I've never heard of Bitcomet though.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 18-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #14
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Don't know, I've been using the same exact version of uTorrent for... last three years? Time flies, eh?

last time i upgraded it made me re-do all the settings. so it took me a while to configure it propperly. since then i haven't upgraded.

ARRRRGH!!!! It's not piracy if you share... :thumbs:
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 18-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumiuN View Post
I use uTorrent because I can. To be honest, I found BitTorrent quite clumsy and not particularly reliable. I've never heard of Bitcomet though.
I meant BitTorrent as the protocol (that uTorrent also uses) now usually called "torrents" or whatever, not as the specific client. As in "Opera can download torrents (sic) without need of any additional program", or "Opera is a torrents client as well". :P

I don't download a lot but as far as I've heard most people think uTorrent is the best and it's very light. The only other one I hear about is Azureus, but it's very heavy (it's actually a Java program), it's reportedly fully-featured but I don't know if it really surpases uTorrent in anything.

Last edited by Japo; 18-09-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 18-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #16
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Yeah, but there is a BitTorrent client. It hashfailed a lot. I haven't used Azureus, but one of my friends has it and he says it's not bad.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 18-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #17
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
it's reportedly fully-featured but I don't know if it really surpases uTorrent in anything.
open source, lots of extra stuffies like live torrent video streams, availability of user plugins, simply win

for the price of more memory and cpu of course. but if you have a good machine, go for azureus
Old 02-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #18
WhiteTiger

I've been using Azureus (now called Vuze [sp?]) for quite a while. Processing power has never really been my problem, and I find it fairly easy and straightforward to use. The hardest part was configuring it, and even that was easily handled through extensive help files available on the net. Once it's up and running, it's just like Fifth said. Aint broke don't fix it.
WhiteTiger is offline                         Send a private message to WhiteTiger
Old 03-10-2008, 02:12 AM   #19
Bp103
Game freak

Bittorrent and uTorrent are almost the same program now, and are very minimalistic.

uTorrent has the side bar going to the bottom as bittorrent does not, Bittorrent has a "Get Stuff" button as uTorrent does not, both have a few different icons, But nothing really Fire vs water difference.

bit-comet is very user friendly. but it had way to much going on for my liking, and tried to install an updater program. Though it was harmless I prefer to keep track of my updates myself.

I have also used Vuze it has a nice feel and looks nice and works good but I found it a little bit confusing to actually use at times, and it seems as if it wants to be a media browser more than a torrent manger.

I have used them all recently in an attempt to find something new to use, but I seem to like Bittorrent most only because its just not distracting and actually quite boring. If I want to be entertained I have games for that.:bleh:

That is my views on those clients...

In conclusion it depends on what you want to do with it.

minimalistic Try Bittorrent or uTorrent
media Try Vuze
lots of stuff / user friendly Try bit-commit
Bp103 is offline                         Send a private message to Bp103
Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #20
bobson
Game is over

I was using BitSpirit when I had XP, but on Vista ... I do not know how to make torrnts work a little bit faster than 10-20kb/s (it was sometimes 500-750 kb/s on XP). So now there is a well hidden TorrentFlux server working 24/7 Not really fast but works without stopping