Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #3021
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

don't use explosives in engine rooms - for your own economical good!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #3022
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

In the beginning of the game, I always switch the starting weapons for my interceptors to a Stingray (I think it's already there) and I replace the long range missile with the weaker cannon. The smaller Alien crafts don't really need more, and when they get a little bigger I switch to two Stingray missiles. 6X2 Missiles is usually better than 2X3 missiles anyways, even if the long range missiles hit stronger. If they all miss, which may happen, you have nothing to fall back on.

It's only when big aircrafts start to pop up and I go a steps higher in aircraft armament.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 AM   #3023
dekaay

Hello Guys,
is there an version anywhere which is running on windows vista?
The windows compatibility mode is not running...
DOS Box says: This program cannot be run on dos mode!
I have no problem on my PC with xp, but on my laptop with vista it doesn't run
I would be pleased for some help...

Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #3024
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

You can download the DOS version here: and run it in DOSBox on Vista.
Old 13-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #3025
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Nov 10 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]318878[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
In the beginning of the game, I always switch the starting weapons for my interceptors to a Stingray (I think it's already there) and I replace the long range missile with the weaker cannon. The smaller Alien crafts don't really need more, and when they get a little bigger I switch to two Stingray missiles. 6X2 Missiles is usually better than 2X3 missiles anyways, even if the long range missiles hit stronger. If they all miss, which may happen, you have nothing to fall back on.

It's only when big aircrafts start to pop up and I go a steps higher in aircraft armament.
[/b]
The only downside to the big missiles (avalanches) is the amount of space that they take up in stores (1.5 points each). Three avalanches do more damage than six stingrays, especially when you factor in the relative accuracy. If you have money and interceptors to burn, you can even use avalanch armed interceptors against battleships (but you have to send them in fours and be prepared to lose some[ keep them minimised, until all four are in position, and then they all attack aggressively]). The long range of avalanches means that you only get return fire from lesser craft if you engage them aggressively. With normal and cautious attacks, only the battleship outranges them. Except for BB hunts, plasma beams are even better.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 27-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #3026
quin.55

Smile very addicting!

i downloaded the game been a long time since i played these and the other ufo games (i didn't get to play apocalypse no cd rom drive yet )

wow! a real fun game to play! i don't have any real strategies i got some in other sites about creating a base in the poles (for research only)

but initially i arm my squad with heavy cannons and auto cannons with HE (they can't aim but with HE they can blow up the area they're aiming) watch them blow up the place especially if its a terror site. i would be careful when getting ufos you need the alloys and eleriums. grenades are good also but as soon as you have heavy plasma you don't need the cannons. save and load again don't let them die they become better as they get promoted.

cya! congrats on the new site!
quin.55 is offline                         Send a private message to quin.55
Old 28-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #3027
Wade61
Lurker

Ok so..I've been playing this game since I was about 4 years old lol and it's only one of the most amazing games out there new or old. But I'm having a problem running it now..I downloaded it about 5 months ago (in June) but recently, just within the past few days, maybe a week, every time I've tried loading the game it says "patch code timed out" and it runs waaaay slow..it's done this all but once or twice in the past few days..has this happened to anyone else? And can somebody help? It's the Windows version..I have the Dos version but it won't run..can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with it either lol But any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!
Wade61 is offline                         Send a private message to Wade61
Old 29-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #3028
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You can run the DOS version with VDMSound or DOSBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #3029
quin.55

Smile X-Com UFOpaedia

UFOpaedia

Check this all you need to know about the game stats and strategy....

from the wiki:

Quote:
Welcome to UFOpaedia.org! This site is dedicated to X-COM, a computer game series introduced in 1994 by MicroProse.

Here you will find a wealth of information including strategy, tactical tips, and an in-depth look at how the game functions.
quin.55 is offline                         Send a private message to quin.55
Old 01-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #3030
nessboy199x

Default please help

i d/l the game a week ago and when i first played it the geoscape had an unplayable flicker. then for some reason yesterday the map was fixed. but now the geoscape is starting to flicker again, i've turned off video accel. and changed compatibly to win 95. if anyone knows how to fix this i would really appreciate it.
nessboy199x is offline                         Send a private message to nessboy199x