Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #91

AGH! its locking up! same thing, someone dies, adn it freezes, ive been waiting for at least 15 minutes :help: :not_ok:

Old 03-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #92
Tanaka

15 minutes? :tai: Ouch, that's another thing. I myself can resume playing after a minute, and next time the fade effect goes OK without delay (same happened with Covert Action). Maybe if you mess with the enviroment (DOSBox parameters) the game will run better? I dunno.

By the way, I did complete the game in no-dachi, with unsurpassed honour, unsurpassed ability as general, adult heir, blah-blah. I DID get the fabled 3,500 points, but I did NOT get the 300 years. Actually, in the "scroll of honor" the score with 300 years is slightly higher than 3,500, 3,530 I think. So definitely there's some kind of hidden Easter egg in the game.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #93
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Maybe one of the developers had that, but they coded some more, took that possibility out and didn't clear the highscore table?

Also, has anybody tried becoming Daimyo by attacking your Hatamoto and your Daimyo's castle, becoming Shogun by force, not by honour?
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 03-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #94
Tanaka

And I was thinking, maybe the possibility never existed, and the Easter egg is the score itself... Nay, that would have been lowly... :ranting:

Yes I once became hatamoto infiltrating my master's manor and killing him --I never manage to prevent the alarm's raising, so I had to duel him. The text was pretty cool, something like, "You scan your master's eyes for anger, but you find only sadness. You draw your sword, your hand trembling; your master's hand is firm on the hilt." For a second I felt remorse... But duels are my speciality. As ever with dishonourable acts, if you don't get caught you're not dishonoured. In that game I was playing a dinasty of lowly immoral creeps, but the daimyo got killed in a campaign before I had the time to repeat the manoeuvre with him. :angry: You can either attack the daimyo's castle with your army (I must try it some day), or infiltrate it yourself and assasinate/duel him, but with the hatamoto only the latter option exists.

And, taking into account the difficulty of having "unsurpassed" honour, especially in the later stages of the game, an hypothesis of mine is that if you (or your dinasty) have committed dishonourable acts, this limits your honour to "extreme", even if you were never caught, no matter how many bandits and duelists you waste.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #95
Tanaka

Oh by the way, although honour is not the only thing that counts for being promoted (land and soldiers count as well), if you disregard honour and kill your master one of your rivals might get promoted instead of you if his honour+land+soldiers is greater than yours.

And when one's daimyo, one should definitely seek maximum honour, because my experience tells me that it reduces the chances of revolts, which are increased by the size of your realm itself, and, believe it or not, are completely independent of the size of your army. I've been master of nearly all Japan with less than 2,000 soldiers, and nobody revolted against me because my honour was unsurpassed. (I had so few soldiers in order that the lords whom I attacked produced battles instead of surrendering, so that I could increase my ability as General through experience. When my ability was already unsurpassed, I recruited the maximum amount of soldiers to increase the score further.)

Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #96
bargeld

accidently i stumbled over this forum today. i know this game since 15 years estimated. this is the or at least one of the best games i ever have seen. here are a few hints...

1.) i play it currently with windows98; here the problem that the game is stopped by disappearing images is easily solved by the combination of "alt" + "tab" and then returning by click to the game (it takes 5 sec.)

2.) in combat (kenjutsu) you can perform strikes which can't be blocked and cause
two injuries by first holding "return" (enter) and either "1", "2" or "3" on the numpad. after you have comletely drawn your sword over your head, you still hold return but now press "7", "8" or "9" on the numpad, accordingly what you selected before (e.g. 2 -> 8).

3.) if you take a hostage from your rival, you can demand "land" or "honor"
several times: just travel more than one time to his estate and say that 'he must obey to your will in a certain matter'. i don't know how often you can do this, but surely he must not die during this action.

4.) i tried to kill my daimyo by attacking him with my troops.
when you are victorious over his army, he flees in his castle, guarded by his men.
this means the fight continues on the melee screen in his castle with all men already alarmed.
on the second floor it seemed that there appeared new guards without an end.
only when i got sight into the last room there were no more new enemies.
on the third floor i encountered my daimyo, challenging him to a duel and finally
killing him.

i think i once achieved 250 years of shogunate but i have to search my records
for this...

Old 12-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #97
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Sep 3 2005, 03:14 PM
Also, has anybody tried becoming Daimyo by attacking your Hatamoto and your Daimyo's castle, becoming Shogun by force, not by honour?
*Raises his hand*

I did.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 12-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #98
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

How'd it go, and how'd it affect your score?
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 30-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #99
Ramidel
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Sep 3 2005, 03:14 PM
You can't forcibly overthrow your Hatamoto, he's got the Daimyo backing him up.

Overthrowing the Daimyo isn't necessary, since if you're strong enough to beat the other lords' armies all at once, they won't bother to oppose you anyway, and you still have to invade his castle as one man. All the same I have done it
Ramidel is offline                         Send a private message to Ramidel
Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #100
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

How do you open doors in castles? I've noticed guards opening the doors but I can't figure out how. This hinders me in all the missions I do, be it rescuing potential wives, or dishonoouring other samurai.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've cracked it. You just walk towards the door for a couple of seconds.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell