Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
Danny252
I have a custom title!

what do you think? Im 13, and have virtually free rein over the pcs as long as they work. now, some things my parents should do I found online..

# Respect their privacy more and talk with them about their online experiences.
respect my privacy, yups.

# Filter sites that are inappropriate for young teens, instead of blocking all but
approved sites. Some bad ones will get through, though. So talk about it beforehand.
not that one

# Give them more leeway on people they can accept IMs or e-mails from. But check and account for everyone, in real life, on their buddy list. No friends of friends.
half the people on my list are friends of friends, mostly as most are from abandonia or school ^^

# Make sure you filter or block image searches, which are often a way around many filters.
nups.

# Block peer-to-peer technologies and get your kids an account with iTunes or another legal music download site.
limewire, and they even know.

# Teach them to guard their passwords. Password theft is a serious problem at this age.
meh I keep mine safe.

# Teach them not to pirate software or motion pictures.
my dad copies dvds he rents. quite well, too.

# Have them Google themselves often: screen names, telephone and cell numbers, addresses, full names, nicknames, etc.
I got some stuff about some guy who lived 200 years ago last time i googled myself.

# Try and limit their use of chatrooms to monitored chatrooms or themed chatrooms on safe topics.
chatrooms? boring.

# Limit their online use (including text-messaging) to under 90 minutes a day (aside from a special school project).
I get 300+ minutes a day (5 hours)

# Keep them out of social network or online dating sites such as xanga.com, friendster.com or match.com.
boringh.

# Talk to them about not meeting strangers offline, and agree to go with them or teach them large group safe meeting tips (see wiredteens.org).
everyone at abandonia is a stranger online.

# Buy girls a copy of “A Girl’s Life Online” (formerly known as “Katie.com”) to read.
no thanks.

# Keep the computer in a central location and watch new interactive devices such as cell phones, text messaging devices and interactive gaming devices, like Xbox Live. Use parental controls if they come with them – Xbox does, for example.
I dont even have a console

# Consider setting up a teenangels.org chapter, or starting an online safety club at their school. (Visit Internetsuperheroes.org for available free materials.)
they never heard of it.

# All bets are off. If they have earned your trust, give it to them. If not, unplug the computer and take away their cell phones and interactive gaming devices.
theyd never unplug the pc. they need the net.

# If you haven’t taught them what they need to know by now, we’re all in trouble.
you most certainly are :evil:

# Focus on teaching them to be responsible cybercitizens and to use the filter between their ears.
sure they have...

# Emphasize again the risks of sharing personal information and meeting strangers offline.
I cant say I ever did that. unless email and a map link to my house is personal info ^^

# Make sure they Google themselves often and report what they find.
nah.

# Teach them to use anti-virus software, to not believe everything they read online and to respect others. Check for adware or spyware often, use a firewall and teach them to come to you if anything goes wrong online.
antivirus, yes. I need this pc!!!

# Ask them to help keep their younger brothers and sisters safe online.
my sister dosen't even have an email.

# Remind them that you’re still around if they need your help.
yeaaaaaaaaaaah...

sorry for the long post..
Old 14-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
Yobor
Hero Gamer

What the crap? I have absolutely NO controls on my computer whatsoever. I do what I want, when I want, whether it be pr0n or chat-rooms. I don't get why some parents don't give their children these freedoms. I mean, I am careful about giving away my address and phone #.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 14-04-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

IT's importaint that your privacy is respectet, but don't forget some things. As long as you are underaged your parents are legally responsible for you - so they must be allowed acces to everything you own and have a right to know everything you do. It's their duty - because they are - as said before - legaly responsible.
Also while on the net you can order may things (spending money) which could become a problem - or you could get some strange and dangerous notions and start doing things you really shouldn't.

But it's not all that simple. There are parents that never care or really talk to children, they just set some rules they want their children to obey. This can't lead to anything really good, because that's not real human interaction. Such parent will invade children privacy, because otherwise they feel they aren't in control anymore - or they'd just stop caring and wouldn't even bother with kids - let them run loose.
If your parent is supperior to you (is your role model, is a person you respect) - you will yourself respect his/her authoroty over you (At least moral) and will respect their rules (because you'd know those rules are right and good for you). Such parents will also know to what extend they can trust their children and would respect their privacy.

And this doesn't only apply to the NET it applys to every aspect of life.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 14-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Danny252
I have a custom title!

me too, I normally make up a fake adress if I have to enter one for something.
meanwhile, at Meh House, Meh road, mehville, Mehshire, Mehland:
I didn't order this! what is it?
Old 14-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Do you create a fake IP too? They might check up on you... :whistle:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 14-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Just remember these two things:

1. Your parents' perspective is radically different from your own.
2. You will almost certainly not understand why for a number of years.

That is all.
Old 14-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I know a site to get a fake ip.. :evil:
Old 14-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I agree with you Fruty Pie.
Old 14-04-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Agrees with Fruit Pie Jones too.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 14-04-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Agrees with Fruit Pie
The older I get, the more I think I acted like total idiot when I was younger..... :whistle:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard