Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Thraka
Forum hobbit

Default Police Quest 1 - Lots of fun.

I just started playing Police Quest 1 (AGI) and it's been glorious. Even though I had it long ago but never really played it past a few cruising around the city incidents. I wanted to play and beat it. Judging by my current score, I think I'm about half-way through. I just did my first narc bust at the city park. After I finish this one, I'll play PQ2 then PQ1VGA and then PQ3,4.

It's a shame there hasn't been any fan games based on PQ. Their was two fan-based Space Quest games released and Replicated was absolutly awesome with the design, story, and graphics.
Thraka is offline                         Send a private message to Thraka
Old 16-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

My father - who isn't a gamer at all - has actually played through the entire Police Quest series, I've only played 1 and 2, but they're some pretty good adventures. I always preferred Sierra works over LucasArts ones since they tended to focus more on making the puzzles good than making the experience cinematic, although they often did that well too.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 13-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
humorguy
Super Freak

Police Quest 1 and 2 are two of the best 'real' adventures ever made! When compared with 'Spycraft', 'The President is Missing', 'Fahrenheit' and other modern-day 'real' games, they have fun, seriousness, adventure, simulation and storyline in just the right proportions!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
karooble

Yeah, it seems like the newer games are more intent on creating an interactive movie than giving the player actual puzzles to solve. Ah well.
karooble is offline                         Send a private message to karooble
Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Miles
Forum hobbit

Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via MSN to Miles Send a message via Yahoo to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles

As you can tell in my Abandonia profile, I have all four PQ games in my favorites. I picked up on Police Quest about five, six years ago. My father's a former law enforcement officer and used to work for some of the towns and then the county, so I latched onto that.

Later on, I ended up picking up the 90s era Police Quest Collection and went on a marathon spree of all four games. PQ1 and PQ1VGA are by far, the most challenging.
Miles is offline                         Send a private message to Miles
Old 07-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
humorguy
Super Freak

Just got the Police Quest series collection released last year that play on XP with no grief. Shame the original manuals weren't printed, but the gameplay is still king!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 18-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
moffepolle

I played Police quest 1 the first time on a computer that was worse than a 286
moffepolle is offline                         Send a private message to moffepolle
Old 02-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
voitan

Too bad they didnt throw in the original swat too.. The old police quest collection had the first swatgame
voitan is offline                         Send a private message to voitan
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #9
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

PQ1 AGI is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it a ton when I was younger. PQ1 VGA is a complete disappointment though. I hated it. The driving element is ruined and the game feels dumbed down without a parser system. PQ2 was good but not as good as PQ1 in my opinion. PQ3 wasn't that good along the same lines as PQ1 wasn't good. PQ4 was decent. I think it took the series in the right direction and I wish they'd made a couple more like that.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 12-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #10
red_avatar
Administrator

The Police Quest series are a bit like simulators - they were meant to simulate being a police officer but the annoying thing was that they often went too far. You had to follow regulations to the T which means that you had to know the handbook by heart. Fun? Well not for me. They loosened up a little as the series got new sequels but the first games were pretty hardcore. IIRC, the game would end even if you didn't walk around your car before you got in.

Quote:
I always preferred Sierra works over LucasArts ones since they tended to focus more on making the puzzles good than making the experience cinematic, although they often did that well too.
Wow, this is an old post but that is pretty ... LucasArts avoided unexpected deaths, avoided getting stuck because you forgot to do something you couldn't know before, avoided incredibly hard to spot items, etc. You never got stuck in a situation that meant reloading (except in Maniac Mansion I believe).

No, Sierra's adventure games really needed a hint book. Why do you think they actually sold so many of them and even included them with later games? Because their games were freakin impossible. That does NOT make good puzzles. A good puzzle is one where logical thinking can make you come to the solution. While Sam & Max may have sinned quite a bit against this, most of LEC's other adventures were pretty straightforward - I completed them without walkthrough - but the earlier Sierra games ... pfew. No thank you.

I do enjoy Sierra games for their "worlds", though. They put hard work in creating documents and stuff to go along with the game. There's a lot of attention to detail as well. I just wish they didn't pull so many cheap tricks causing deaths not to mention the worst sin of all: being able to be stuck without the game telling you so. Nothing worse than looking around for hours without knowing you forgot to do a key thing.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar