Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #21

What is DOS Box and how do I access it?

Old 21-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #22
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, just read our excellent tutorial on DosBox! It should explain most things!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 22-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #23
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You can download it here.

If you have any problems with it, try having a look at the official FAQ on the DosBox site.
Basic Setup and Installation
Command Line
Z instead of C at the command prompt
Internal Programs (important, especially MOUNT)
Most of the stuff in there is not really needed, but you would do best to familiarize yourself with the specific topics I linked to.
The mounting of your DosBox games directory, switching the promt to the emulated C: drive and clearing the screen from previous commands can all be executed from the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf, so you won't have to re-type them every time round.
Frontend programs can help running DosBox with varying configurations for different games.
For both a more accessible user interface and oldschool feel, you can use Norton Commander (get it from our programs and utilities page - scroll down to the bottom to find it). NC might seem awkward at first, but in fact it is a very functional genuine DOS era file manager frontend. It has a plethora of functions that will help you in navigating around the directories, while still retaining the command prompt.

Though all of this might seem complicated, it's very easy once you get used to it. So remember:

DON'T PANIC!!!

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #24

Help! how are you geting it to run ?

Old 14-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #25
realitytv_freak
Lurker

When I try to run the game under DOSBox it asks me to configure its sound, but even if I configure again (I already did it before I ran the game), it won't run. Why is this happening? How can I fix this problem? Thanks!
realitytv_freak is offline                         Send a private message to realitytv_freak
Old 16-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #26
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Help! how are you geting it to run ?[/b]
Read the post above yours for that info.

Quote:
When I try to run the game under DOSBox it asks me to configure its sound, but even if I configure again (I already did it before I ran the game), it won't run. Why is this happening? How can I fix this problem? Thanks![/b]
What values did you enter in the sound configuration?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #27

Hello, ... where i can find the passwords for the second password check?

First check e.g. Page 11 Line 5 Position 5 is okey, .. i can find .. but
Second check PAGE II LINE II Position 3 ..... i cant find!

Please help me!
thx

Old 23-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #28
stevied

I still have the original floppys and manual for this game from 1995. The original was a board game produced in the UK , almost handcrafted. called 1829. This is a faithful software version, except for the shift to the USA. Avalon Hill bought the board game rights and produced their own version, then a PC version. This was extremely difficult to run on the PCs around in 1995 - it needed a state of the art machine and it used all of it - you had to boot with a special 1830 boot disk. Still a great game!

UK stave

Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #29
schnobs

Minor issue: on the higher difficulty levels, the AI players will act in a concerted effort against you. They don't care who of them will win, their sole concern is to stop you, the player. On the one hand, this is a little silly; on the other, it becomes necessary once you've learned the ins & outs of the game.

As to the Diesel Trains changing ownership and never moving (mentioned further up): that's a valid technique. Except under very certain circumstances, no company may ever be without a train. If the companies' funds won't suffice, the main shareholder has to put in some money out of his own pocket (selling stock for cash if necessary). If that still won't suffice, that character goes bankrupt and the game is over.
By constantly selling the same train from one of his companies to the other, the train will never move (and hence never generate revenue). However, in the meantime that character's other stock may rise in value and/or pay out some dividends, so that after some turns of idling he may finally purchase that second train. Maybe. Maybe not. At least he remains in the game, and where's live there's hope.

Finally....
The crack as offered on HOTU unpacks fine on Win98 systems, XP boxes will refuse to open it. Maybe if you get your hands on the old command-line pkunzip and try it in a DOS window (or under DosBox)... I didn't try this though.

Wether or not this game will run seems to be a matter of luck. I've had varying results on different OS'es and emulators and even on different machines running the same OS and emulator. It can be anything from a total no-go to flawless operation, perhaps the most annoying case was when the game ceaselessly kept prompting me for a password, and another, and another.

Either way, in my personal opinion, getting this game to work is worth any amount of hassle.

regards,
Schnobs

Old 21-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #30
SothoTalKer
Lurker

If you really really want, you can get a small patch for this game on dlh.net:
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&...ile=1830jul.zip

It only fixes a few bugs, but why not have the latest version anyway?

PS: What got fixed:
Quote:
Fixed bug where using the C&SL special ability with a railroad
with no trains caused 2 leftward moves on the stock market.

Cosmetic glitch: the 10 town northeast of C&O base on
standard map should not be yellow! (This had no impact on play.)

The train buying AI is significantly faster now.[/b]
Just extract the files from the zip into your 1830 directory and overwrite the files.
SothoTalKer is offline                         Send a private message to SothoTalKer