Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #221
LordKoda
Default Will it work

Hey all,

I was hoping someone could let me know if this will run on windows 7. I want this game so bad but I don't want to waste my money to find it isn't compatible. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #222
dosraider
Dismembered.

The game runs in dosbox 0.74
Dosbox works fine in Win7

==> the game runs in dosbox/Win7

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 25-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #223
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Default Need a couple advices

Hello,

I have never played Jagged Alliance before. I heard a whole lot about this franchise through the years, but always somehow managed to ignore it. As I'm always zigzaguing between playing a current title and an older rumoured-to-be-a-gem title, it's time for me now to attempt playing this.

I have to mention that I already had to restart all over because I used a full 8 mercs from day 1 (at normal setting) and was having many problems while moving along, expecially concerning funds. Now, I am playing on easy level (hate to admit that) with more careful selection of mercs. Had major problems on sector 29, where I wasted A LOT of ammo, but I read here this is a common sector people find difficult, so I won't panick too much.

What I'm panicking about is this:

I keep reading that you MUST capture 3 sectors a day in Jagged Alliance, or you risk getting half-way through the videogame and not able to move on and you might have to restart from day 1 or very early on. I hate when that happens, when I have to restart everything, so that is why I opted playing on Easy. My question is: can I relax about this whole 3-sectors-a-day deal on Easy mode? Is it fine if I just make 1 or 2 sectors? I find everything to be a bit slow, so it sounds to me that 2 sectors a day would be a better rhythm. Is there in fact, a limit of "days" available in the overall plot?

Someone earlier mentioned that quick-save during combat is worth nothing. Not sure what they meant: I use it all the time. I can even return to the last quick save when I relaunch, so that's pretty useful when I get stressed and need a long pause (because things here CAN get a little stressful, but that's the fun of it). Yes, I heard that sometimes it's buggy and won't relaunch. Never yet happened, but I also save each starting day.

I need to learn the best distance for firing, because my mercs keep telling they have a view of the enemies, but waste a lot of ammos on them. So I suppose the perfect distance for each weapon has nothing to do with enemy sight, and I haven't mastered that yet. It's hard, what with the little action points and all!

Another small question: the canteens. I dropped them after use. I'm guessing am going to have serious problems real soon. I can't seem to use them on the rivers. That's part of why I'd prefer do a couple sectors each day, so I can rest my mercs because they only can do so much. What do I do to get more water?

Thanks for any reply, in advance.

Last edited by Talkie; 25-02-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: restructuring
Talkie is offline                         Send a private message to Talkie
Old 26-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #224
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkie View Post
Hello,

I have never played Jagged Alliance before. I heard a whole lot about this franchise through the years, but always somehow managed to ignore it. As I'm always zigzaguing between playing a current title and an older rumoured-to-be-a-gem title, it's time for me now to attempt playing this.
JA is one of the best games I ever played. It had a lot going for this title back in the days but they were mostly innovations not seen before and if you're used to new games now then it might feel kind of bland. But it is still a great game.
Quote:
I have to mention that I already had to restart all over because I used a full 8 mercs from day 1 (at normal setting) and was having many problems while moving along, expecially concerning funds. Now, I am playing on easy level (hate to admit that) with more careful selection of mercs. Had major problems on sector 29, where I wasted A LOT of ammo, but I read here this is a common sector people find difficult, so I won't panick too much.
Yup. Part of the normal gaming experience. Most people have to restart for this very reason because they think it is very important to have a full team. Once you get to know the game you realize that it is much more important to have a few key members which fill key spots. I remember I hired a guy who never got out on a single mission in the whole game, he was staying back at the base and repaired all my armor, guns and misc items (usually in this priority) so my fighting mercs could perform well enough without dying. Mercs perform better when they are not injured, more importantly do't lose max AP and also guns which are below 90% have a real chance of jamming in the wrong moment. Managing your mecs and equipment is part of the game experience though, no question asked.
Quote:
What I'm panicking about is this:

I keep reading that you MUST capture 3 sectors a day in Jagged Alliance, or you risk getting half-way through the videogame and not able to move on and you might have to restart from day 1 or very early on. I hate when that happens, when I have to restart everything, so that is why I opted playing on Easy. My question is: can I relax about this whole 3-sectors-a-day deal on Easy mode? Is it fine if I just make 1 or 2 sectors? I find everything to be a bit slow, so it sounds to me that 2 sectors a day would be a better rhythm. Is there in fact, a limit of "days" available in the overall plot?
I'd say it is true but that you should consider it as an average and not an obligation. Most of the time, considering allowing your mercs to rest or be healed is way more important. Once you'll get used to the game you'll find it's quite easy to go thru the very first sectors (until you secure the water source, which happen quite early game) without casualties and sometimes without even getting hurt (getting hit is not the same than getting hurt if you have good enough armor). I remember getting used to look around the base at day one, then capturing at least 2 to 3 sectors in the same day and stopped only because of nightfall with my mercs being uninjured.

I remember reading that some people completely ignore the base until they get to a point in which they need to stop to recuperate. At that time it is usual to have a single merc or two which are uninjured but would not perform well alone, so you either set them for practice (inefficient) or you can use that opportunity to get all the stuff lying in the base. You'll definitely need the ammo hidden everywhere later on.

Cover is the most important aspect of this game. You always need to make sure your guys are not in the open because you risk getting ambushed and shot at first, which is the last thing you want. Most early levels have very obvious strategy routes and if you are careful it is rather easy to avoid casualties even if you're not used to the game and get hit often. In practice, simply crouching or laying down behind a bush is a great protection. The enemy bullets often hit the scenery before you then. The real trick is to get the enemy where you want it. Or, more to the point, learn to ambush them yourself and take them from multiple directions.
Quote:
Someone earlier mentioned that quick-save during combat is worth nothing. Not sure what they meant: I use it all the time. I can even return to the last quick save when I relaunch, so that's pretty useful when I get stressed and need a long pause (because things here CAN get a little stressful, but that's the fun of it). Yes, I heard that sometimes it's buggy and won't relaunch. Never yet happened, but I also save each starting day.
Not sure about this either. But I remember I used to quick save only on critical moments which would lead to a very bad outcome or one of my merc death. Restarting the whole day when there is only a few hours or minutes left before night is not a really enjoyable experience when you repeat it often.

I'd definitely never quit the game in the middle of combat though. I would always save at the end of the day.
Quote:
I need to learn the best distance for firing, because my mercs keep telling they have a view of the enemies, but waste a lot of ammos on them. So I suppose the perfect distance for each weapon has nothing to do with enemy sight, and I haven't mastered that yet. It's hard, what with the little action points and all!
You are quite right on that part. You're doing very well if you noticed this already.

I usually go with the %chance of hitting. If I want to conserve ammo I'll want to get as high as possible before firing. Some weapons are very rare and have very scarce ammo but are also most deadly so you will definitely want to watch this aspect of the game later on.
Quote:
Another small question: the canteens. I dropped them after use. I'm guessing am going to have serious problems real soon. I can't seem to use them on the rivers. That's part of why I'd prefer do a couple sectors each day, so I can rest my mercs because they only can do so much. What do I do to get more water?
This strange item is one of the most important item in your whole game. You did make the heck of a bad tactical choice by leaving them on the field... But you can come back to the area and pick them back up, isn't? Canteens refill automatically each day at your base if you have them on you or at your base but you can't refill them yourself. What you can do is fill one half canteen with another half canteen to save up space as used up canteens stack if I remember well. I always made sure every single merc had one or a few canteen on themselves before heading out as it is a quick and cheap way to get fatigue out of the merc system. As the canteens got used up I gathered them all on a single merc to save space. This item is specially important when your merc is wounded or you are traveling very arduous terrain like swamps. A sip in middle of battle can make the difference with your merc firing 3 times and winning or firing 2 times and finding himself in a bad spot.

Always used them liberally. Either in battle or between battles. Save a lot of time resting and help keeping top shape when you travel.
Old 26-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #225
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Eagle Of Fire Wrote:

You always need to make sure your guys are not in the open because you risk getting ambushed and shot at first, which is the last thing you want.

That's why I wanted to know if it's possible to progress only 2 sectors a day, because being very slow and careful about your strategy takes much more time (and mercs get tired in the meantime). I feel like I'm pushed to move forward fast, and that's a little annoying.

This said, I NEVER compare a title from the past with what you can have today. Historical perspective is important to me and sort of the reason why I'm playing this. I find pretty advanced for 1994 that you get over 60 characters with each their voices and personalities. So I can already assess how huge that might have felt like back then. But I'll decide later about things like learning curve, etc, if it should have been done better. There is no real indications or advices in the manual or tutorial that warn players about some very important aspects. If I'm not able to progress on Easy mode, than it's definitely tailored for the hardcore player. We'll see.

Thanks!!

EDIT/ADDENDUM:

Ok, whew!! I played many hours in a row since I wrote this message.
I think I'm getting the hang of it. I picked Ivan and Ice as everybody
seem to suggest, and it's getting way more easy (especially with the
magnum + tube). In fact, now I mostly use 3 guys while the rest stand
behind, wasted. I tend to restore when Ice is hit heavily, though:
I don't want to loose him. But that's why there are so many characters
at A.I.M.: it's expected that you will loose some. This is definitely fun.

Last edited by Talkie; 26-02-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Update
Old 26-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #226
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkie View Post
Remember to take into account the accuracy skill of mercs when hiring them! That one is of course the most important combat skill.

Soon you also want someone in the field with some mechanical skill and someone with some medical skill, and ideally they're not bad in combat. My initial picks with good bang per buck were, for combat Ivan and Fidel; as the first mechanic Vinny (and he's not bad in combat and he can make new weapons on the spot without waiting for the base mechanic, if you have one); and as a combat medic Betty; if I'm remembering their names right. Later, as a full-time mechanic that stayed everyday at the base (no combat), some nerdy guy with glasses, cheap with 100 or so in mechanics but no other skill, I don't remember his name.

In case you haven't bothered with knife combat yet, continue that way... It's severely underpowered. If you think your chances of hitting someone with a gun are bad, try having a merc with dexterity 99 try to stab someone at eye-to-eye range... 70% chance he'll fail and be shot to pieces the next turn.

Browse through the manual and the strategy guide! I found them (both or one of them? I can't recall) very good. Be sure to read the part that explains what each attribute (dexterity etc.) is for, I don't remember all that now.

Quote:
Welcome to the world of Jagged Alliance, I find it very absurd that you can hire international mercenaries but you have to get all your equipment from what you find rusting on the floor, you can't purchase anything from the outside. And failing to build up an adequate inventory (ammo but not only that) is the most lethal mistake, even if you're awash with cash.
Old 27-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #227
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
That's why I wanted to know if it's possible to progress only 2 sectors a day, because being very slow and careful about your strategy takes much more time (and mercs get tired in the meantime). I feel like I'm pushed to move forward fast, and that's a little annoying.
Well, I'm a guy used and experienced with strategy games. Even when I was younger I found that about all the starting areas were very obvious in term of where the enemy was and what I was supposed to do to get the upper hand. You do have the full layout of the area when you start out, only the fog of war get in the way... So simply plan ahead and you should be fine.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #228
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Japo and Eagle Of Fire:

Thanks for these hints!!

It's going well as it is. If one day I do just 1 sector, I can always cheat by redoing it, knowing where are the keys, etc... You see, one of the reason I'm very slow is I like to lure the enemy in places, like around a building, and this technique takes patience. Ice isn't so bad with knife when the enemy is just around the corner, but it's probably because I'm on easy mode. I like to just walk a couple steps, shoot, go back behind, and repeat this constantly with many "pressing Done" without doing anything, so the enemy moves around and gets closer (if you keep titillating them). It's a bit tedious and can take a whole day in 1 sector, and many would think it's not the, erm, "manly" way to go about things (lol), but it's about strategy after all, and if this was real life, I'd probably do things the same way.

One last question I might have, is (and please answer without giving spoilers, if possible): when you find a letter that mentions "this event will occur in that sector on that day", is it better for the plot to wait until you are on that very day to get into that setor, or should you get there before, or anytime after. Does it alter anything in the plot? Is it more fun to get there on the exact day?

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #229
Japo
Autonomous human

I remember those messages, but none in particular right now... It's been long since I played. What does it say exactly? Isn't it self-explanatory? Maybe EoF remembers.

One thing I forgot is, even though knifes are useless against enemies, every guy should pack one if he's wading through water, or else he has a fair chance of being eaten by reptiles. And even with a knife he has some, and I think he still needs high dexterity (it's in the manual).
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #230
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Sorry, I do not remember such notes. I would need to have the exact message to try to remember, or a screenshot would also be nice.