Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #161
The Amazing Rando

I just tried using win rar to unzip the file and tried playing other missions. I can play other missions but the stutter always reoccurs at the completion of any mission as soon as the sergeant begins speaking. Could this be a sound issue?
The Amazing Rando is offline                         Send a private message to The Amazing Rando
Old 18-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #162
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Bizzarre. Your copy of the game does not exhibit any abnormal behavior on my machine. Try with DOSBox 0.73 (remember that you can install concurrent multiple versions of DOSBox).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #163
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Bizzarre. Your copy of the game does not exhibit any abnormal behavior on my machine. Try with DOSBox 0.73 (remember that you can install concurrent multiple versions of DOSBox).
0.73 worked for me (I was having the exact same problem as the previous guy) but it does not maximise without screwing with the colours - every time I try everything goes all pink and neon green. Is there a way to fix that with dosbox commands?

Old 18-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #164
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

fullscreen=true in DOSBox' config file.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #165
The Amazing Rando

SUCCESS!!!

Thank you both Fifth Horsemen and Sethis. For whatever reason 0.73 seems to do the trick.

See you out there
The Amazing Rando is offline                         Send a private message to The Amazing Rando
Old 16-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #166
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Default They have me!

I was intrigued to try Space Hulk after reading old reviews praising it. Now I think I'm falling a little bit nearer the opinion shared by Mr. Creosote on Good Old Days.

This is driving me crazy! It's so darn hard!! No wonder I can't find a strategy guide about it. I read this whole thread. About 2 people claim to have finished this. There is not a single strategy advice here either. I guess most people are like me: they think "wow, let's try this!". They complete the Basic Tutorial and then some. A good third to half the standard Missions can be done, so you do them and think you're going back to the tougher ones later. But... No. The hard ones are just impossible!!

It's all because in close combat, you loose most of the time. In long combat, you need space to back off in case your weapon jams, and because of this you can hardly trust
your army in overwatch. You have to freeze constantly and try to FPS any Terminator in danger. Pretty darn crazy!

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give up. For some reasons I don't get how everyone got so jumped about the "spooky" (some even say traumatic) atmosphere of this videogame.
I mean, I'm trying hard to put myself back in the context of 1993. I still think Alien Breed was scarier than this. Heck, even Alone In The Dark.

Maybe I didn't get far enough, but to me Space Hulk feels very repetitive.
Anything else than Genestealers out there?? Than you all heard about the great enemy AI. Well, it's not too hard to have great AI when you compare it to your own players which are so darn stupid! GRR!! (insert banging head on the wall smilies here.) Allright then: am I supposed to use the Planning Screen shooting instead of the actual FPS shooting? Sometimes it feels like this works better (you till need to freeze 50 times a minute to succeed this way).

I'm disappointed by the fact that there is no in-mission saving (or any manual saving, at all), and also, once you complete a Space Hulk category mission, the interface doesn't show it as completed. I mean, I have to start them again one by one to remember "hey! I've done this one!" It seems only the Basic Tutorial and the Deathwing Campaign records your progress. Is it just me or is that normal? Do they have the little ceremony when you complete, say, all One Squad Missions?

This past week was the most frustrating gameplay in, well ok, not in my entire life, but... in a long long long while.

Talkie

ADDENDUM: Is there some mega-forum about Warhammer 40,000 out there where there would be a section specifically dedicated to Space Hulk tactics?

Last edited by Talkie; 16-07-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: weird lunatic layout
Talkie is offline                         Send a private message to Talkie
Old 17-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #167
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkie View Post
It seems only the Basic Tutorial and the Deathwing Campaign records your progress. Is it just me or is that normal?
This is normal. They are meant to be played as one-offs.

Quote:
ADDENDUM: Is there some mega-forum about Warhammer 40,000 out there where there would be a section specifically dedicated to Space Hulk tactics?
Not really - there are these and there are Space Hulk forums, but all of them focus on the boardgame, which has a much different set of mechanics.

Incidentally, you might want to look up "Alien Assault"

-- Reed Richards
Old 18-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #168
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Yes, I saw the Alien Assault website and its massive community
with zillion mods. I'll look into it later.

In the meantime, I found this:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=1493

It doesn't cover the campaign, but it's a start.

Some general hints too:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=1494

I found this bizarre cheat that I haven't tested yet.:

Quote:
Win mission for the CD version
[size=5]
Quote:
Utilize your text editor to edit the "hulk.bat" file in the game directory. Add "cheat" as a command line parameter on the line that loads the game. Press W while playing the game to win the current campaign mode mission.

The point of using the cheat might be to advance through the campaign
while avoiding those missions which give you a nervous breakdown, but
the guy who posted this Avenged video on Youtube (last Deathwing mission) admitted he used Hex editing to reach it (lol).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcy4nqUgtw

The Space Hulk music on Abandonia had my hairs jumped because some
of it sounded very different, and since I'm playing an ISO of the CD version, I thought mine was probably missing CD audio (bad rip). But now I think the different audio is from the Amiga. That music is way more spooky than the PC version, and might have influenced
critical reception in those parts.

Cheers, and thanks,

Talkie

Last edited by Talkie; 18-07-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: I suck at html coding
Old 18-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #169
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Here are maps for all levels in the game:
http://rapidshare.com/files/407581631/Maps.rar.html
Note that some levels differ between the FD and CD editions:
- Advanced Tutorial #8
- One Squad Missions #2
- Two Squad Missions #3 and #4
- Deathwing Campaign #11, #12, #16, #20
I haven't checked for exact differences yet.

-- Reed Richards
Old 18-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #170
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Well, thanks a lot, Fifth Horseman! That sounds helpful.
In the Mission Manual, they have some mistakes, like
the Tutorial 8 Mini-Map is the same as the Tutorial 9.

Well, I finished all Advanced Turorial and over half of the Space Hulk Missions (originals, 1 squad, 2 squad, new). I think I'm getting the hang of it. Might as well complete it because I love to brag that I'm able to finish a hard videogame.

I didn't even use the strategy guide (above). For example, on the last Advance Tutorial, they suggest to protect the first 2 corridors, What?, I just send 1 guy in the corridor fronting the first Genestealers entrance, and shoot them as they pop out. You put a couple other guys nearby to replace him in case, and tada. I notice also that Close Combat can be won when you have Lightning Claws. The clue generally is to FPS any Terminator in danger (which you know by using Freeze all the time), and leave space both in the back and in front (especially when there is a corner) of your Terminator so you can back up while shooting when you jam. Cover all areas this way, stop any Terminator move before an attack (especially Flamers), and sometimes 1 or 2 steps ahead is better than trying to advance 10. Voila for strategy!

Cheers!

Talkie

(oh: it took me a while to learn how to simply close a door: better do it in the Planning Screen).