Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Red Fortress
Abandonia nerd

Unhappy Will all Abandonware sites be blocked?

Will all Abandonware sites be blocked?

For a couple years a bill has been raised in the US Senate, which would greatly increase the ability to the US government, as well as private corporations in removing access to sites on the internet.
Last year it was called COICA in its current incarnation its called the PROTECT IP Act, its contents are summed up in its wiki article:

Edited on 01/11/11: New Info on Laws!!!

The original bills COICA & PROTECT IP have been twice held up in the Senate by Senator Ron Wyden.

So, now its been raised in Congress after being rename "SOPA".

It's basically the same bill only with even more overbroad wording, plus they slipped in parts of the Streaming Criminalization Bill S.978

The whole point of this law is to block off access to all "Foreign Sites", which are beyond the reach of US Copyright Law.

They want mass IP Blocking + Search Result Censoring powers to use on offshore Websites by all US ISP & Search Providers.

Also the power to issue injunctions to US Payment Processing Companies (PayPal, etc...), to stop all money going to those sites.

Edit: 02/11/11
Apparently, websites that offer ways or tools to bypass blocks are also to be blocked off...

Websites in the USA are already vulnerable to being seized under current laws (see Operation In Our Sites).

However these new powers would also no doubt be used against domestic sites as well...

Old Info: Still Relevant to the held up Bills in the Senate.
This is the spolier Tag

The Entertainment Software Association stated on their website that they supports the bill: link

While the main attention is likely sites that host current gen games, ESA has stated on numerous occasion their negative opinion of Abandonware.

If they have an easy tool to block "infringing sites" from the US altogether, why not block Hotud & Abandonia while they're at it.

Edited on 02/11/11
This may turn out bigger then I thought...

Considering the "Shoot first, ask questions later" attitude of the Copyright Industry, they could well try to make Internet in the USA into their own private Intranet...

Last edited by Red Fortress; 02-11-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Red Fortress is offline                         Send a private message to Red Fortress
Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You now owe me 1¢...
Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Red Fortress
Abandonia nerd

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
You now owe me 1¢...
What the do's that mean!?!

If you think that the stuff I brought up in the OP is of no concern, please elaborate why...
Red Fortress is offline                         Send a private message to Red Fortress
Old 06-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Because if I had gotten 1¢ every time someone posted something supposedly alarming... I'd be filthy rich by now.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

True that governments everywhere are looking at harsher and more intrusive copyright laws every day, however since ever Abandonia will stop hosting any game if we only received a letter from the copyright owner, with no need for any legal procedure. So we're not one of the defiant websites that are likely to be targeted by this--although I haven't read any of it. We don't offer any contend and we have remained in the abandonware business all this time precisely because abandonware is abandoned, that is nobody cares.

Funny that you're more alarmed about private corporations than the government (without a court warrant), specially since this is a purely legal matter and corporations would be powerless without the government's enforcing this privilege for them.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Red Fortress
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Funny that you're more alarmed about private corporations than the government (without a court warrant), specially since this is a purely legal matter and corporations would be powerless without the government's enforcing this privilege for them.
The reason behind my concern is the power that Corporations and their Trade Associations hold over parts of the US Government through techniques such us Lobbying Groups and the Revolving Door.

I'm afraid that this law will turn into a “We Aim, You Shoot” kind of deal, with Companies using the Government to take down loads of Sites that they dislike.

Quote:
True that governments everywhere are looking at harsher and more intrusive copyright laws every day, however since ever Abandonia will stop hosting any game if we only received a letter from the copyright owner, with no need for any legal procedure. So we're not one of the defiant websites that are likely to be targeted by this--although I haven't read any of it. We don't offer any contend and we have remained in the abandonware business all this time precisely because abandonware is abandoned, that is nobody cares.
Under the new law they don't have to show that the site is "defiant", only that its main purpose is "infringing activities".

That is pretty vague, and can be stretched to cover all sorts of stuff...

Read this on the ESA's Site: Link

Plus this article From gamepolitics.com:
ESA Altered Wikipedia Entries on Mod Chips, Abandonware

That sound like they think abandonware should not exsist at all ...

If they were to get a "kill switch", whats to stop them using it on us?

Last edited by Red Fortress; 06-09-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Not to sound rude, but the internet is not the US. This site is certainly not hosted in the US. And unless they can get the ones they want to sue to US soil, the US laws don't apply. So they can take their draconian rules and show it up their collective asses, as soon as they cross the ocean.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It's still a nasty, grubby little policy regardless of whether or not it affects this site. Besides who wants something like that as a precedent? Yuck.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Not to sound rude, but the internet is not the US.
Yes, that. Hungavy beat me to it.

I'm not from the USA either. Beside, laws like this try to pass every year/two years in the US. There is a reason why it doesn't: they don't really make sense.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

I agree with Lulu, and this kind of thing is showing its face ever more often lately. And they say that if you start smoking weed you may end up smoking crack cocaine, but if they start restricting Internet access for these reasons, I wonder where they might end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
Not to sound rude, but the internet is not the US. This site is certainly not hosted in the US. And unless they can get the ones they want to sue to US soil, the US laws don't apply. So they can take their draconian rules and show it up their collective asses, as soon as they cross the ocean.
They can't get it, in principle, as things are right now--don't forget there are international conventions about copyrights.

But what little I read about this, I understood it's not about shutting down sites--what they can already do, and another recent US law widened the government's discretionary and executive powers to do so, and disposed of any bothersome judicial procedures. I think it's about denying US citizens access to infringing content, even if it's hosted abroad and continues to be online elsewhere.

They don't seem to have gone as far as the Great Firewall of China (for all the anti-American talk, probably the USA will be the last country to implement country-wide WAN firewalling, I think several "democracies" were considering it--or had any already made it... Australia? But depending on what is decided, it could mean just that. They plan to require all services within their jurisdiction (hosted in the US?) to remove any access to the infringing content (even if their servers remain online), and these services may include search sites (Google...) and even DNS servers (good luck with that, as if pirates would mind typing a numeric IP address instead of an alpha-numeric domain name, LOL).

Again the legal framework will be different in your country, freer or harsher, but this is about affecting the content US citizens are allowed to see. And we're allowed to care about them. And once these laws are acceptable in one "democratic" country, they're automatically up for consideration in every other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Fortress View Post
The reason behind my concern is the power that Corporations and their Trade Associations hold over parts of the US Government through techniques such us Lobbying Groups and the Revolving Door.

I'm afraid that this law will turn into a “We Aim, You Shoot” kind of deal, with Companies using the Government to take down loads of Sites that they dislike.
I totally agree, however it's your point of view that the government is on the collar side of the business's leash, and not the other way around. The only objective truth is that their relationship is clearly symbiotic.

Quote:
Under the new law they don't have to show that the site is "defiant", only that its main purpose is "infringing activities".

That is pretty vague, and can be stretched to cover all sorts of stuff...

Read this on the ESA's Site: Link

Plus this article From gamepolitics.com:
ESA Altered Wikipedia Entries on Mod Chips, Abandonware

That sound like they think abandonware should not exsist at all ...

If they were to get a "kill switch", whats to stop them using it on us?
What I meant is that they could have acted against us, with the weapons already existing at their disposal, if they cared. We're still alive, or at least we haven't received any scare since Tom's ESA deal, because they don't care about us. In short, nobody has prevented them to act against us so far, but they haven't.