Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Game Distributor Sued Over Boy's Suicide

So, his parents let him play WoW for 36 hours straight, then think they can sue the distributor when he kills himself? I hate to admit it, but this sounds like something that would happen in America, not China.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

So true!
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Old 12-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Internet addiction? Games harm your health? Warning labels? :blink:

I agree that playing certain games can be engrossing to the point they interfere with your life, but someone killing themselves over a game has more problems than an inability to turn off the 'net.

This kid probably had parents who didn't make the best parenting choices - obviously, letting your kid play a game for 36 hours straight is more than a little much. They either didn't notice this sort of behavior, which is neglectful, and could lead to deep-seated depression which could lead to suicide, or had no control over their kid for other reasons (maybe he was hyperactive and delusional - that bit about joining the heroes of the game he worshipped is more than a little weird) - in which case, they should have sought outside help instead of simply allowing him to do what he wanted.

I dunno, I've certainly had a few issues with getting away from the 'net when playing certain MMORPGs - but it's not because I didn't want to, but rather because once you start to play, it's time consuming in some cases to get to a point where you're able to stop playing (maybe that's a justification, but hey, I haven't played a MMORPG in years for just that reason). Though I will not attempt to deny that there are probably true "addicts" out there, I think for most people, it's more of a matter of screwed up priorities.

And health-wise, yeah, it's not the greatest to sit around and play games, but a game actually HARMING your health? No, because it's your choice to sit around on your behind all day playing instead of working out. As long as you actually do other stuff, I've found that gaming is beneficial to your mental skills, such as problem-solving, mental agility, and creativity.

IMHO, this is just another example of parents who made bad choices putting the blame on someone else.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 12-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

It's sad, but I really don't think his 'issues' started with computer games. Maybe his parents should have paid a little more attention to their kid earlier. I'm sure this guy wasn't entirely leveled to begin with. And why would they allow him to do such tour de force? Sure, some made a fat wallet, but hello... To partents in general: Wake up! Jeez!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I have to agree with the above. Something is seriously wrong with parents letting their child play the same game for 36 hours straight, and something is seriously wrong with a kid commiting suicide to join his online heroes.

I mean... 36 hours, is like 1 and a half day, which is at least 4-6 meals the kid hasn't come down to...

If I had a kid gamer (and I probably will), I would've dragged his sorry screaming and protesting behind down to the dinnertable, if he didn't take the hint the fourth time we were yelling that the soup is getting cold.

Then I would've spoken to him about the wonderful gods "Save" and "Pause". Most games comes equipped with those, and should be worshipped to on a healthy basis.

Then I would've exercised him a little. After 36 hours of sitting in front of a screen, it feels good to move about a little... well, once the muscles have gotten their blood back, at least.

I'm sorry to say it, but this family is a prime-example of "How to not look after your kid."
Old 12-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Something everybody agrees on. Awww, how nice

I mean, yes. That kid deserved some parental guidance. I think the main reason these kids get so neglected is the fact that computer games occupies the kids so the parents don't have to look out for them. At least for that time when the kid is in another realm of existence, say Azeroth for example.
I think parents like this think "Oh how nice. Billy is playing. He is silent, he doesn't asks for money, he is not causing trouble, he wont hurt himself there, he it not out on the street(it's dangerous). Yes maybe he is playing a little too much, but hey, in the meantime he is not using drugs, he is not having unsafe sex and don't drink. And I can relax a bit while he is sitting there. Pure asset."

And this is the bad thing. While Billy is busy mutilating orcs in Azeroth, he get more and more drawn away from the real world and becomes addicted. Believe me, I've been there I was playing Anarchy Online for months. College internet is free, the pizza comes when I need it, sleeping... bah, who needs sleeping when I need to reach level 50. It's just 4000 more XP... just a little bit more... oh YES, I'm lvl 50... hmm... but to use this pistol I need level 55... damn... okay, level 55 here I come!!!
I think you get the picture....

When I realized what I was doing, my grades took a fall to the gutter, I gained much weight, I lost friends, I lost money, I lost my social skills("I'M playing here damit! Leave me alone!"), my health was so bad I catched every single sickness came my way...

Okay, to put it another way: DON'T F*CKIN PLAY MMORPGS!!!! EVER!!!
Oh, sure there are some people that can keep a distance and don't become addicted, but don't find out if you are one...

All in all, MMO games are dangerous. Literally. To your health, to your bank balace, to your social connections...etc. And this is not on the box for a reason <_<

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 12-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Fruit Pie Jones@May 12 2006, 05:27 PM
Game Distributor Sued Over Boy's Suicide

* I hate to admit it, but this sounds like something that would happen in America, not China.
I dont know people in asia have become pretty hardcore gamers.

Like did you hear about the Korean kid that killed over after a fifty-hour StarCraft session in an internet café

Quote:
The man, who had lost his job after skipping work to play videogames, reportedly died of heart failure induced by exhaustion.
Thats pretty hardcore :blink: Im pretty sure thats not even the first time thats happened in Asia. They have these 50 plus hour gamming session and competitions.

30% of the entire South Korean population are registered online games players

http://www.ferrago.com/story/6353
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 12-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Playbahnosh@May 12 2006, 07:06 PM
All in all, MMO games are dangerous. Literally. To your health, to your bank balace, to your social connections...etc. And this is not on the box for a reason <_<
That's basically saying what those parents are saying, you know - which contradicts your original "agreement."

Hey, I've been there too - when I played MMORPGs in college, my social skills went down (my grades actually went up, but that's because I was spending more time in my room, where I was more likely to study, than out hanging out with friends), I gained some weight, wasn't getting enough sleep, felt ill a lot, etc.

But me playing EQ so much wasn't the game's fault. It was MY fault, because it was MY choice. And eventually, I chose not to play.

In the above case, it's the parent's fault, because they weren't monitoring their child and teaching him good lifestyle choices. When you're an adult, doing this sort of thing, the blame is all on you, because you are the only person responsible for your behavior.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Quote:
Originally posted by taikara@May 12 2006, 08:20 PM
That's basically saying what those parents are saying...
nope! I said "it is not on the box for a reason". You read that part yes? I meant that the game makers would sell less of the game if a huge red tape were on the box saying "WARNING! This game may cause problems in your social life and health!" I'm not agreeing with the parents, all this was their fault in the first place as you said

Yeh, I chose NOT to play too, but the damage was alreasy done. It took me almost a half year to get back on my feet. And then came the worse, girls. The dating game. They they did almost the same, and here am I partially out of the goo again trying to figure out my next move...

I realized something. There is a game that is the most dangerous, but because you don't even realize you are playing: Life. "Life is a sh!tty game, but the graphics are awesome"

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by taikara@May 12 2006, 10:20 PM
That's basically saying what those parents are saying, you know - which contradicts your original "agreement."
there is a fine differnce between saying that soemthing is dangerous (like say a gun) and sueing the producing company for not preventing every accident (like not having a special hard to remove child-safetly lock).
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s