Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Invalid Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
Flop
Hero Gamer

Default Sahel - Sheikens Valg [NON-English]

This is quite a long shot, but I thought I'd try anyway. Sahel, Sheikens valg is a Danish educational game, where you take on the role of sheik and make a number of decisions in order to save your village from famine. It's a very old game and I remember playing it on my friends 286 back in 1991. I tried googling it and only came up with 1(!) link, which was a catalogue of programs that some Danish school uses in classes.

I realise that this is a very obscure and rare game, and that most people probably haven't heard about it. I'm also pretty sure that it'll never be on abandonia, since it's in Danish, but if anyone knows where to get it, please let me know. I've got a craving to save that village.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 22-04-2005, 10:55 PM   #2
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Apparently these games (there were more than just the Sahel one) weren't originally Danish. I've found a website of a German company producing these games: http://software.schrettenbrunner.de/Unsere...gramme.2.0.html.
However, they still appear to be using them at schools - believe it or not. And if I read their price list correctly, they charge €50.00 per game. OMG Well, they're probably only meant to be bought by teachers for a whole bunch of students. But still...
So they're not abandonware and can't be uploaded here, I'm afraid. I suppose your best bet would be to have a nice chat with your old geography teacher and ask him whether you might get a copy.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 23-04-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
Flop
Hero Gamer

Thanks for the reply, but I don't see Sahel on there. There's a game called Hunger in Africa, but that isn't it.
Old 23-04-2005, 06:12 AM   #4
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes, it looks like a slightly different game, but I suspect the situation will be similar. To me it looks as if those games are still being sold and schools still use them. The only Danish website I found (presumably the one you referred to in your first post) mentions licenses. And it was last updated in 2004 or 2005, so we can be pretty sure the game's not abandoned.
There's probably no way of buying this game anywhere either. But if I were you, I'd try writing an email to someone at this Skovboskol and explain the whole situation. Be as charming as possible and perhaps offer to donate a book to their library or something. They'll probably still be surprised at your request, but it might work. It's worth a try, anyway...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 23-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Flop
Hero Gamer

Yup, that's the link i was referring to. You're probably right that there's no way to buy this game anywhere, and that that school is the best way to obtain it, but I think I'll just let it go. I appreciate your help, though.