Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Approved Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
nightwish

Default Phantasia

Newbie Alert, so I apologize if I just haven't searched hard enough for these games... I just got addicted to Abandonia, and now I can't find peace until I complete those old games that I couldn't finish as a kid! LOL

I'll try to describe the games as well as I can... the 1st game is called Toon Town or Toon Time. No, I don't think it has anything to do with Disney! You get a screenshot on the left of the place you're in (but I don't think you ever see your own character)... and I think information is written on the right. You type at the bottom. You actually get to type "Go west / north / etc" to move around.
I remember that you are in your own house when you begin. You've got this pet dog with you. There's this strange mechanism with a hoop in your house, and when you trigger it, your dog disappears after jumping through the hoop. You step through the hoop and end up in this toon-y (but sinister) world (don't know how else to describe it!). First thing you have to do is buy some clothes and disguise yourself, cos if you're caught by this Snake (NOT SURE) guy in your 'human' form, you're dead. Umm... I supposed it was a bit freaky when I was a kid, when you move to a scene, and you're warned that "A dark figure is approaching" (together with a Jaws theme music rip-off!) or your dog says "I smell Snake" (oh yeah, your dog talks in the weird world!).

The 2nd game is almost ancient (80s?)... it's called Phantasy / Phantasi (definitely spelled with a PH-). I'm pretty sure it got its ideas from the Dungeons and Dragons RPG world. You make a party of 6... you've got your typical fighter/priest/thief/wizard/ranger/? class. You have (so horribly old graphics that you'll burst out laughing when you see it!) your maps to travel around in, and dungeons obviously. You run into random monsters (and if they are black knights you generally hit 'RUN', or 'BEG FOR MERCY' if you can't run away!), and when you fight it's just a black screen with your 6 party members at the bottom, monsters up to 5 rows on top. I just never figured out how to get pass the dungeon of the minotaur temple or get beyond level 25?

It'll be really amusing if I can get to play the 2 games again! I played them on my elder bro's very first computer - a CGA!!! LOL I couldn't finish the games because I couldn't even really spell at that time!

Thanks for reading!
nightwish is offline                         Send a private message to nightwish
Old 10-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Mad-E-Fact
Games Master

The first one is probably Tass Times in Tonetown, the second one I do not know.
Mad-E-Fact is offline                         Send a private message to Mad-E-Fact
Old 10-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

The second one is Phantasy Star I think...i THINK... ^^ Dunno about the first one though...hmm..I dunno
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I would say the PH game is Phantasie III or I probably. It is a very good (my first favourite) RPG of the 80s. You can even leave money at the bank to accumulate interest and save it from losing it if you die...eh yes. Excellent games.
Phantasie II was never released for DOS as far as I am aware that is why I don't mention it. Still the third one is the best of them. Very very cool rpg, pity is not part of this site yet.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/phantasie-ii...mus/screenshots here are some screenshots for the ST version of the 3rd game. All of them are very similar.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 10-04-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Ooo that looks awesome. Its abandonware? If so, what site has it? I'd love to have that. look fun ^^
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 11-04-2005, 06:39 AM   #6
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

It might be abandoned, the III was released in 1987 iirc. If you find it try it, excellent rpg. I have the ST version of it of course...
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 12-04-2005, 03:46 AM   #7
nightwish

Thanks heaps for the info!!!

I've downloaded Tass Times... but I can't find a place to download Phantasie yet... I think I'll just look for Phantasie III - it looks a billion times better than the first one, although I don't know how different the plots are.
nightwish is offline                         Send a private message to nightwish
Old 12-04-2005, 04:08 AM   #8
GraveDigger
Game Wizzard

Send a message via ICQ to GraveDigger

Quote:
Originally posted by nightwish@Apr 12 2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks heaps for the info!!!

I've downloaded Tass Times... but I can't find a place to download Phantasie yet... I think I'll just look for Phantasie III - it looks a billion times better than the first one, although I don't know how different the plots are.
I have them both, but not Phantasia 2 though, or perhaps there isn't any.

Phantasia
Phantasie 3 - The Wrath of Nikademus

P.S: Send me a yahoo email address.
GraveDigger is offline                         Send a private message to GraveDigger