Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
heatho

Running Bioforge in dosbox, or more to the point not running it. It seems to require the cd rom drive. Anybody had the same trouble or know of the troubles of which I speak? Its apparently a cd rip version, from HOTU.
heatho is offline                         Send a private message to heatho
Old 17-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Zarkumo
Game freak

I am not exactly sure, what my problem is, but I am still looking for a solution as well. Maybe my prob has to do with the CD-ROM drive as well. What exactly does DOSbox say when you try running BIOFORGE?
Zarkumo is offline                         Send a private message to Zarkumo
Old 17-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
heatho

Upon running the .exe in dosbox its says:

"BioForge, ver f1.01, © 1994, 1995 Origin Systems Inc.

Memory: Total=15,485,052 Largest=8,388,558 Sel=7,815.

A problem was detected:
Bioforge was unable to locate the CDROM drive or the game CD.
Please check to see if you have loaded the appropiate drivers as well as the CD itself. Consult the Trouble-Shooting section of the install guide for more information."

I was bored so I copied the whole thing, it seems self explanatory but I havn't a clue where to start. *BTW I havn't successfully run the install either, a similar problem.
Old 17-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Data
retired

mount the directory as a:
then it things it's the floppy version and it might run
Old 18-03-2005, 03:43 AM   #5
heatho

No luck ith that either.
Old 15-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
uk_john2005
Forum hobbit

QUOTE(heatho @ Mar 17 2005, 02:52 PM) [snapback]80952[/snapback]
Quote:

"BioForge, ver f1.01, © 1994, 1995 Origin Systems Inc.

A problem was detected:
Please check to see if you have loaded the appropiate drivers as well as the CD itself. Consult the Trouble-Shooting section of the install guide for more information."

I was bored so I copied the whole thing, it seems self explanatory but I havn't a clue where to start. *BTW I havn't successfully run the install either, a similar problem.
[/b]
First thing: (and this should be on the main page or a page about utilities rather than have the same questions being repeated time after time under different game threads.) There is a front end for dosbox call D-Fend. It allows you to set up everything for the game (cycles, frame skip, etc - including all soundcard and mounting, etc set up globally just the once!) and then when the profile is finished it lists it with all the other proflies you have set up with it. All you then do is double click on it and dosbox opens and d-fend sets it all up for you and the game starts. Very civilized!

I used D-Fend to set up my bioforge (I have the original game) and had no problem, whereas trying to set it up outside of dosbox the game kept on looking for the CD in the 'other' drive (I have 2 drives set at M and N, when I had the disk in M, the game looked for it in N and vice versa).

You can also open the install.opt file in the game directory and change any incorrect drive letters it has set up (given my CD drive letters above, the install.opt file had it set to H: !)

If push come to shove you can copy all the CD files to HD and then change the install.opt file to point to the install directory opr whatever directory you copied the CD files into (does not have to be the game directory, as long as install.opt points to it).

uk_john2005 is offline                         Send a private message to uk_john2005
Old 17-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
aluvian

QUOTE(uk_john2005 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]248679[/snapback]
Quote:
QUOTE(heatho @ Mar 17 2005, 02:52 PM) [snapback]80952[/snapback]
Quote:

"BioForge, ver f1.01, � 1994, 1995 Origin Systems Inc.

A problem was detected:

[/b]
First thing: (and this should be on the main page or a page about utilities rather than have the same questions being repeated time after time under different game threads.) There is a front end for dosbox call D-Fend. It allows you to set up everything for the game (cycles, frame skip, etc - including all soundcard and mounting, etc set up globally just the once!) and then when the profile is finished it lists it with all the other proflies you have set up with it. All you then do is double click on it and dosbox opens and d-fend sets it all up for you and the game starts. Very civilized!

I used D-Fend to set up my bioforge (I have the original game) and had no problem, whereas trying to set it up outside of dosbox the game kept on looking for the CD in the 'other' drive (I have 2 drives set at M and N, when I had the disk in M, the game looked for it in N and vice versa).

You can also open the install.opt file in the game directory and change any incorrect drive letters it has set up (given my CD drive letters above, the install.opt file had it set to H: !)

If push come to shove you can copy all the CD files to HD and then change the install.opt file to point to the install directory opr whatever directory you copied the CD files into (does not have to be the game directory, as long as install.opt points to it).
[/b][/quote]
I've got some other problem with bioforge...
when it comes to running the game, it crashes and gives the following message ::
Memory fatal error ...[Some memory address]
What can I do?
aluvian is offline                         Send a private message to aluvian
Old 17-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

did you use dosbox?
Old 19-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
aluvian

I runned Bioforge under DosBox, but its too slow, what should I do?
aluvian is offline                         Send a private message to aluvian
Old 19-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

increase cycles with ctrl+f12 and set core to dynamic