Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #521
melthas
Abandonia nerd

UFO-Enemy Unknown was my first ever favorite strategy game, i can tell that it's the reason why i can't play RTS games anymore. My hopes were a little bit down when i played X-Com: TFTD. But when i played X-Com Apocalypse i saw it was even much better than UFO. Perfect combination of TBS and RTS( anyway who cares about RTS :bleh: ). Any gamer should play this game as i've played it over and over. Superb story and fiction, perfect technologies (engineers, biologists...) and these insidious aliens(god damn braisuckers! can't still forget them). Can't even find a negative point. DON'T EVER MISS IT!
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas
Old 09-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #522
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GarretNightwolf @ Jul 7 2006, 02:26 AM) [snapback]242034[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
ok so i raided a lot in the first 20 min of the game and it appers that the alliens get very advaced they have tehre beam guns already on day one? is it becuase i bought a secound base?
[/b]
The higher your score is the more advanced alien tech is. Keep on raiding and eventually you will get shielded UFO's and cloaked enemies with shielding and devestator cannons. The only way alien tech will go down is if your score decreases.

Depending on your difficulty mode depends when the aliens get thier tech. For example on Easy when you get 1000 points the aliens bring disruptor guns (just an example not sure if that is actual), on Superhuman aliens get disruptor guns when you get 500 points (another example). If your score goes over the mark then some aliens will use the new tech first, then most aliens will use it, if your score then goes down the aliens go back to using previous older guns.

I think UFO types and Alien types are time oriented though so you won't get psimorphs in your first day.

Ŧ † DxRxIx † ŧ
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 14-07-2006, 01:28 AM   #523
Tobu

Hi everybody.

Iīve playing the UFO I&II for a long time, and love them despite "Terror from the Deepth" was a copy of "Enemy unknown". So I downloaded X-com apocalypse and tried it. Itīs a wonderful game, but when I tried to save the game nothing happened. I just type the name of the "save-game" and press enter, then it seems that everything is ok, but just before the program exits from the savegame screen, the file is deleted, it simply disappears. I mean, when the screen is going black I can see how the saved game is replaced by an empty slot. Also, in the main menu screen, the "load game" button doesnīt work, but along the game, in the options screen, the same "Load game" button works, but obviously there is no a saved game to load. I run it with Dos-Box 0.62 o 0.63 and donīt have any other prob.

Iīd rellay love to play this game, so I was wondering if somebody could help me īcouse itīs very frustrating. Iīve made a little search and have found something on page 38, but this is different, my game doesnīt freeze. Iīd download it from another source, but I donīt find a full download anywhere. Thanks a lot.

Old 14-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #524
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

manually create a subdirectory called SAVE in the game directory.

Also, run it with DosBox 0.65 - major improvements, I say.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #525

That suited fine in other games; but it doesnīt work with this one, also I tried it before calling it Savegame instead. Creating the subdirectory seems to do nothing. Iīve tried to create it inside another subdirectory called Tacdata but nothing new happened.

This morning I noticed an error: an error mentioning "dosdrv" as a non-recognized intern or extern command, calling it "executable program or pack of files for MS-DOS "(or file by packs, I ignore the correct translation but itīs the same name that appears below the VDMS_Apoc icon in the game directory). Iīve been lookin for a file called dosdrv but I found nothing, and I donīt think it refers to dos4gw (maybe that dosdrv file is lost?).

After the error and right below it, the Mouse2kv itīs executed properly and after that the game runs normally except the saving-game process. Also, reading the game readme I saw this:

Manual Amendments And Game Tweaks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P27 Saving Games
After saving a game you do not have to press OK as stated. The
game now automatically returns you to the game.

P27,P95
After saving a game the "Save Successful" message referred to on
these pages will not appear. This message is not implemented
in the game.

At first I didnīt think it was important, but maybe a bug with these implements could be the origin of the problem.

Old 14-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #526
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

DOSDRV is a Windows command line command that initializes VDMSOUND enviroment emulation. It doesn't have to be in the game directory.

I'll have a look on my copy of the game and tell you what's there.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #527
Tobu

Sorry for the double post. Finally it seems to be solved. Strangely, creating a new subdirectory for savegames dindnīt work, but after unzipping again the downloaded file a new folder and two files appeared. The Savegame subdirectory and the CXGGBWKF.NQD and PHQGHUME.AYL files were missing at the first unzipping. I dont know the reason... maybe was my old crappy computer <_< . Also Iīve noticed that the PHQGHUME.AYL file dissappears after setting up the game for sound test.

Thanks again Horseman.

Old 14-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #528
Luberriaga
Lurker

I have a question Im a newbie playing X com apocalypse and I wanted to know how can i recover the Alien Crafts after they are shot down.. Ive downed those ships hundreds of times but i cant get into them please help me!

Thanks!:P
Lube
Luberriaga is offline                         Send a private message to Luberriaga
Old 14-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #529
laiocfar
NOD Commander

You should send manned craft with the order of "go to location" and as destination chose the ufo. Better if iyou use a some big craft to carry more troopers and some cargo bay for captured equipment and a bio bay will be excellent.
Old 15-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #530

WOW thanks but I have another problem now.. sorry for the newbish question but how do i fill the cars with people? and how many vehicles I need to carry 4 people a biotrans and a cargo?

Thanks a lot
Lube