Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #941
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The hit points are most likely stored in a separate value.

"Offset" simply means a location in the file. Any decent hex editor will display the current address of the cursor somewhere, so use that as the guideline. Note that offsets can sometimes be expressed not as absolute values but rather as a difference from the location of another value.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #942
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Here you can find a good hex-list for Lands of Lore.
Link
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 05-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #943
Capo
Unconventional member

This game is so easy
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 05-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #944
Default hex-list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Here you can find a good hex-list for Lands of Lore.
Link
thanks for the link--few questions though. what does offset from character's name mean? in my editor i have "Ak'shel" written to the side of the 16 columns of numbers at line "00000040" (the 5th row from top). so where does the "offset from character's name" begin? the positions listed in the link don't seem to correspond with values i see in the hex editor for my saved game file.
i'm using cygnus, and at the bottom right corner of the program there are numbers indicating positions (offsets?), e.g. 50/1426E shows "FF", and there's another box beside the position indicator which gives a value (for 50/1426 it's "-1").

sorry if this doesn't make any sense--i have no background in coding.
is there a way to upload an screenshot of what my editor looks like (if it would help?)

Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #945
Scatty
Treasure hunter

An offset from character's name begins from the first position after the last letter of the name. An example is in the uploaded picture below (click on the thumbnail for larger view).
So the both marked (in black) positions on the most right and middle section of the edited file window is beginning of the offset in question. From that position you count onward until you reach the position mentioned in the hex-list further above. Also the middle section where the red circle marks the spot is the section with the values which the hex-list refers to, meaning this is where you look for and edit those values. Those are called hexadecimal values which range from 0 to F, i.e. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F. On the right side are the same corresponding values, in the form as they're normally typed in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #946
Lands of Lore fan
Default Depressed..

Hello Abandonia!

I really like this game, and wanted to play it again for fun, but i have a problem.
When i play the game with or without DOSbox, it starts great, everything seems to work fine, but after i chose my character the screen just goes black and doesnt responds to anything

Anybody had the same problem? I would really like to play this again!

Hopefully you can help me,

Conrad

Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #947
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Have you modified DOSBox configuration? How did you mount the game directory?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #948
Default finally found the book of lore download

There is finally a pdf copy for the book of lore for download.

Old 13-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #949
oldplayer90

Hi, i am an old LOL player, in fact, this games was the first game that my parends bought me when i was my first PC (32mb RAM, 500mb HD and pentium II 660mhz), nearly 15 years ago.

Recently, i found the CD version lost in a chest with another table-games when i was just a kid and i decided play it again after see severals videos on youtube although neither of them show you all secrets could you find in this games.

there are severals misteries that nobody would know how to figue out:

- the empty niche of lvl 2 of daracle cave (jeweled dagger rute next to the swith that moves the pit)
- the plate that hides the niche where you can get the black biter dagger.
- Worn key open an, empty chest?
- Mine key 3 opens, nothing?
- Fancy lock (and the closed unswitch door of it) is impossible to unlock.
- The 4 wall switches in the 2º lvl of white tower (near of minotau) do nothing?
- Severals switches and plates do nothings in 2º lvl of castel cimmeria
- the hidden plate in the dungeon, that sounds activated but nothing happens in this place (this plate is at the top-right corner of the map near of the fancy tramp)
- the empty niche in the 3º lvl of castel cimmeria due to there is an unamovible pit in front of it.
- the no-exit hall in the top of the room when you are fighting against Scotia.

I thinks the official Cluebook from westwood did not give any help to solved them, the rest of the misteries is easy to resolve.

About some no-quest items i found in the games i get (all it depends of the game):

- horseshoe is found in northlands and southlands. It is useless.
- some coins in the main fountain of the galshtone castel and inside some lake in the northlands.
- a generic axe in a stumb in the cross of the hall of the black eagle and the 2 reptile monsters (always i found it before enter the black eagle) in southlands.
- a generic Halberd take from a pentrog
- a generic great maul in the empty niche in the urbish mine company co ( just in the south-bottom)
- a generic trident take from a gorka (kill them)
- a great axe take from great orc and undead skeletor (a silcke too)
- a great sword take from spectres lvl 3 white towers.

Old 13-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #950
oldplayer90

By the way, the 3 silents items (i mean, the sandals, the blucker and the t-shirt) only have effects if each character where one of them and i have noticed that at least you won't be found by the great orcs in the yvel woods but they are useless if you think you won't ran into spectres in 3 lvl white towers.

I passed the game several times, so right now i spend the time looking for any mistery in the game, and try to get the highest amount of coins in the games (more or less i have been able to get 26.000 coins ), feeding with useless items the gorka fancy wall in the swamp (a lot of rocks, sticks, notes, cadavers, etc.)

I think if you are able to get a halberd taken from a pentrog in opinwood the game will be easy to pass (i think that is the best weapon, even more than great sword or great maul) and i say that because i could kill severals spectres in lvl 3 white tower just with halberds.