Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #21
shinfu

dam this game runs slow. is it supposed to be like this?
normaly games under xp often run too fast but this one feels
like in syrup.

is there any solution to this? it would look promising...

Old 29-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #22
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
WHY DOESN'T ANYONE LIKE THE FULL GAME
I found it a little cold, anyway a like both stc and they are differnt tipes of game k:
Old 20-11-2005, 01:29 AM   #23
Lyrax

I also found that the game was very slow when I ran it in windows or from a command prompt, but when I used DosBox, the issue was resolved.

I really like the Full Game of both SC1 and SC2, but I think it's silly that the review compared the two. I mean, SC1 is Strategy and SC2 is Adventure. They're totally different. I like both, especially with the SC1 StarEdit program...

-Lyrax

Old 31-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #24
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian IV@Jun 13 2005, 05:21 PM
* :blink:* :blink:
Hello unregistered SC expert, i am hoping you will check in
even though your last post was in April,
is the versoin on Abandonia NOT the full version? i am
intrigued by your eloquence and the details you share of
spaitial strategy and am very interested to try this game,...
i have tried unsuccessfully to find a manual, do you know
of where to get one? It woiuld help a lot.
let us know if you can....and any details on how to achieve
full playablility if you can help.
cheers
k:* k:
Okay, I've registered, finally. And I may make Abandonia my new home. The starcontrol boards are a bit slow.

As for the game running slow, the game itself is admitedly a bit choppy compared to today's standards, or even SC2. However, if you're getting significant slow down you're probably trying to run this game in WinXP. You have got to run this game in DosBox. Turn up the clock cycles and you'll be fine.

As for a manual for the game, I have one in PDF format. If yawl want it, tell me who to send it to.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #25
mika
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax@Nov 20 2005, 04:29 AM
...I think it's silly that the review compared the two.* I mean, SC1 is Strategy and SC2 is Adventure.* They're totally different.
Hi Lyrax, Guesst,

The main reason why the 2 were compared is because one is a sequel to the other. I do agree that the reviews might be slightly biased, but I did take into consideration what my friends said about it, so it's not totally just my opinion.

I do apologise though that my love for both games obviously did not propogate through the reviews. They are both brilliant games and I think 2 of the best to come out of that era.

My personal opinion, I love more the melee and the full game in SC2.

PS: There are manuals available for both games on the review pages. Although i
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 04-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #26
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by mika@Apr 4 2006, 08:30 AM
There are manuals available for both games on the review pages.
NOW. There wasn't three days ago for Star Control 1.

I don't mind comparing Star Control 1 and Star Control 2, personally. Like you said, they're sequels.

My objection has to do with you speaking ill of Star Control's full game. That's honestly what the game is about. If you don't like it then why are you reviewing Star Control? That's like saying "I can recomend Half Life as long as you just stick to the multi-player."

Do you even realize that Star Control's full game is what the game was about? Lemme give you a little history. Paul Reiche III, half of the programming team that made the game, has his name on another game that came out in 1982. That game is Archon. Archon, if you don't already know, combines the stragety of chess with a fast paced one-on-one combat so that you don't mearly "take" a piece. You have to conquor the square. So when Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford sat down to design Star Control their goal was to make Archon in space. Even the name hides Archon in it (stAR CONtrol). So if you only look at the melee you're not getting what Star Control was about, in other words the idea of strategic play melded with Space Wars like combat, mixing in a little of Archon's unit variety.

I hope this has been educational for you.

Unfortunately not likeing Star Control's full game is the popular stance. It's no surprise when Star Control 2 came about that they set the gyrating unpopular full game aside and focused on a gameplay type that would spot light Paul Reiche III depth of story telling skills.

Once again I've written more than I probably should. I just cant' help myself.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #27
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by guesst@Apr 4 2006, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately not likeing Star Control's full game is the popular stance. It's no surprise when Star Control 2 came about that they set the gyrating unpopular full game aside and focused on a gameplay type that would spot light Paul Reiche III depth of story telling skills.
I don't think they set anything aside because of any consideration except that SC2 was to be something really new. So they made a (thrilling) adventure game instead of making the same strategy game again with minor modifications.

I don't really know why the SC1 full game is (relatively) unpopular, maybe having a quick alternative in the melee mode actually damaged its potential. Not as much, but the same goes for SC2. I've known of people who didn't even give a try to SC2's full game, they just played the melee, besides they remembered SC1's. Of course I though they didn't know what they had missed, and you must think the same for the people who haven't tried SC1's full game.

I did actually try SC1's full game. Curiously enough, I found it just brilliant, very brilliant, but it just didn't captivate me like other strategy games like, say, Civilization. Maybe it was too short for me, that's an uncommon feature in strategy videogames. As you've said, SC1 is much like chess. Surely playing against a friend is funnier.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #28
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@Apr 4 2006, 10:28 PM
...instead of making the same strategy game again with minor modifications.
I did actually try SC1's full game. Curiously enough, I found it just brilliant, very brilliant, but it just didn't captivate me like other strategy games like, say, Civilization. Maybe it was too short for me, that's an uncommon feature in strategy videogames. As you've said, SC1 is much like chess. Surely playing against a friend is funnier.
*sniff* that's what I lament the most. could you imagine this sort of game WITH minor modificaions? Or major modificaitons! Imagine playing with a Chmmr on a starfield! I get sad just thinking about it.

And I actually enjoyed the stragety game vs the computer because I could always win it. And I like to win. You've also got to play it enough that you find out Syreens fill up their crew before destroying an enemy colony with an accompanying animation.

Recently Star Wars - Empires at War did provide a little bit of this sort of stragety/action combination pumped up to modern stanards. It wasn't so much like SC that you go "Oh, Star Control" (ie, no rotating starmap) but it did have the sort of branching planetary map with RTS battles. I wonder if Lucas Arts borrowed a page from Star Control?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #29
mika
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by guesst@Apr 4 2006, 07:00 PM
My objection has to do with you speaking ill of Star Control's full game. That's honestly what the game is about. If you don't like it then why are you reviewing Star Control? That's like saying "I can recomend Half Life as long as you just stick to the multi-player."
I didn't really speak ill of it and I didn't say that I didn't like it. All I said was that I preferred the SC2 full game. It is a subjective view and I admitted to it above. Still, you liking SC1 full game is a subjective view too.

Quote:
Originally posted by guesst+Apr 4 2006, 07:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (guesst @ Apr 4 2006, 07:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
I hope this has been educational for you.
[/b]

Actually it has

<!--QuoteBegin-guesst
@Apr 4 2006, 07:00 PM

[/quote]

Well there you said it. Most people (popular) liked the SC2 full game better. Maybe they just didn't understand the SC1 game, or maybe the graphics were the let-down. Who knows?

Look. If you really don't like the reviews and feel that they do not explain the games as they should, please feel free to write new ones. I don't mind, and I'm sure the current admins wouldn't mind either.

mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 07-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #30
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by mika@Apr 7 2006, 08:20 AM
Look. If you really don't like the reviews and feel that they do not explain the games as they should, please feel free to write new ones. I don't mind, and I'm sure the current admins wouldn't mind either.
I'm really glad to hear you say this. See, I didn't know how to break it to you, I felt like I was sneaking around behind you back. But Kosta, when I got in contact with him suggested this very thing. So I did, and I think now... yup, it's up. There's a new review of Star Control 1 on the main board.

Trust me, it was nothing personal. The last thing I want is bad air as a newby on the boards. And besides, I think the rest of your reviews are great. Even the one for Star Control 2 I could add nothing significant to. So, I hope you're okay with this and I hope to write more reviews for new games on Abandonia (not new game, but new on Abandonia) soon.