Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #111
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
I don't think anyone will disagree that Battle for Wesnoth is spoiled by its randomness, otherwise it would be great. Since it's open-source I wonder if it would be very difficult to spot the random number generating function, modify it and re-compile...
I think it would have helped a lot if instead of hit-or-miss randomisation there'd be randomness in the amount of damage a unit deals per attack, depending on terrain types, speed, skill etc. (maybe with a very low chance of completely missing the target, like 2-5%). That would have helped avoid those frustrating situations when you surround an enemy unit with several units of yours, then watch all of them miss that unit, and then it successfully counterattacks some of your units next turn, aaaargh!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #112
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Was I doing that? I've started new question. Maybe you should start by addressing it? Other forums would issue a warning had I tried to make na new thread similar to existing one, here someone whines (no offense) that I posted in correct thread? Well, next time lock it, to make it sure noone resurrects it.
I never said you were addressing the old posts - I almost did it before I realised how old they were. And I wasn't going to post reply to you before mods confirmed we can use this thread.

I understand your frustration with turn limits, because it indeed dictates your style of play, even unit selection. I'm in the middle of playing Fantasy Wars and like Panzer General it has different levels of turn limits - if you finish mission soon enough you get better bonuses (in case of Panzer General it was also bonus missions) and there was also the ultimate turn count which you couldn't breach without failing a mission. So, I had to play aggressively and I also had to choose fast units for the game, since slow ones would end up stranded half the map while the fast ones would attack the final objective. And that's another thing, there were cities/forts that you had to capture as objectives and there were those you didn't. I like to capture them all (since they give you some bonus and units get experience), but sometimes I didn't have enough time to do it, since I had to focus on objectives.

Saying everything above, I also think that it's good to have a random turn limit mission in generally non-turn limit game, like it happens sometimes in different HoM&M games. It spices it up a bit, adding extra challenge and breaking monotony.

On different topic, I much prefer turn-based games to RTS. I simply like to take my time to make decision.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #113
jamotide
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
I'm in the middle of playing Fantasy Wars and like Panzer General it has different levels of turn limits - if you finish mission soon enough you get better bonuses (in case of Panzer General it was also bonus missions) and there was also the ultimate turn count which you couldn't breach without failing a mission.
In Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy it is much better if you stop obsessing about the Gold Medal Victory and take your time clearing the map. Once you realise that the bonus rewards are negligable compared to the immense gain from even one unit making an extra level (since each level gives +1 stats and a perk, so in total more than most items), the turn limits stops annoying you.
The ultimate turn count, being bronze medal, is often generous enough to clear the map twice over.
Not to mention all the gold from capturing extra city tiles far outweighs the 200 extra from gold medal. Plus the good reward items are all in the second to last mission or so where it doesnt really help much anymore.
I'm a big Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy fanatic and the turn limit was the only thing that bugged me about the games, but now after about 10 playthroughs I like it as an additional bonus/gameplay option. And now after having played in all kinds of ways, I can safely say it is much easier to play hard and clear everything than it is to play medium with compulsory gold.
I can't get enough of these games, last month I had such an urge, I played through Fantasy Wars, then Elven Legacy, then Ranger,magic,siege and then all of them AGAIN! Gotta say my favourite is the magic campaign, the tactical options are very diverse.
I really hope the bring 10 more of these games to milk me Sims 3 style.
jamotide is offline                         Send a private message to jamotide
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #114
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamotide View Post
In Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy it is much better if you stop obsessing about the Gold Medal Victory and take your time clearing the map. Once you realise that the bonus rewards are negligable compared to the immense gain from even one unit making an extra level (since each level gives +1 stats and a perk, so in total more than most items), the turn limits stops annoying you.
The ultimate turn count, being bronze medal, is often generous enough to clear the map twice over.
Not to mention all the gold from capturing extra city tiles far outweighs the 200 extra from gold medal. Plus the good reward items are all in the second to last mission or so where it doesnt really help much anymore.
I'm a big Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy fanatic and the turn limit was the only thing that bugged me about the games, but now after about 10 playthroughs I like it as an additional bonus/gameplay option. And now after having played in all kinds of ways, I can safely say it is much easier to play hard and clear everything than it is to play medium with compulsory gold.
I can't get enough of these games, last month I had such an urge, I played through Fantasy Wars, then Elven Legacy, then Ranger,magic,siege and then all of them AGAIN! Gotta say my favourite is the magic campaign, the tactical options are very diverse.
I really hope the bring 10 more of these games to milk me Sims 3 style.
I totally agree - I discovered the same in the middle of the human campaign. In the orc campaign, it was actually very easy to get gold victory (played on medium difficulty level) for almost all missions, save for the second last one (in my opinion) as long as you choose good way to deploy your units. I haven't played the elf campaign yet.

And like with many similar games, you are struggling with gold (or whatever coinage in the game is) at the beginning of the campaign, when it's useful to score a few gold victories (and conquer all the cities/forts available), but at some point, you have more money that you can possibly use, so getting gold victory bonus is not important.

Still, saying all that, I happen to be an achievement junkie when it comes to games, so I just like getting those gold victories, if only to see what magic item they're going to grant me So it frustrates me that I can't always score a gold victory and capture all cities/forts.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #115
jamotide
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
I just like getting those gold victories, if only to see what magic item they're going to grant me
Thats probably what annoys most people. I think it would have been better if they had shown the rewards before the mission, so you ccould decide if you want to take your time and clear everything, or if you recklessly rush through for gold.
Anyway, I get around that for myself in that I always look into some gamefaq to see what the rewards are.
Talking about it makes me want to play again, I think I'm due for another all campaigns playthrough!
jamotide is offline                         Send a private message to jamotide
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #116
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Cool

My gaming block continues, aided by my faulty PC... probably this triggered my MobyGames-spree: I'm adding "ancient" wargames like crazy, usually ones covering WW2, but also Napoleonic Wars, American Civil War, even US Army vs. Indians... my oldest submission is the release date for Tanktics - 1978! We're talking about serious computer historiography here!
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS