Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-11-2006, 03:35 AM   #11

QUOTE(Saphire @ Nov 24 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]268615[/snapback]
Quote:
QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 24 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]268560[/snapback]
Quote:
An actual DOS machine gives full compatibility, which is a nice thing.[/b]
That's true, but not entirely. Some games require more "conventional" memory (a term from the Dos times) than others, some are even hard to get to run without advanced "meddling" with Ms-Dos' options, and you'll need to mess around with your autoexec.bat and config.sys files to press out that little bit more of conventional memory that's needed, which is anything other than simple if you have no idea of Ms-Dos.
So in a way DosBox is quite simplier to use than Dos, you just need to edit the file dosbox.conf, set there anything DosBox has to offer as you like it, and use few simple commands to get a game to run. The downsides are that you need a pretty fast PC for it to run the more complex games, and that not all games are supported or they run only partially good.
[/b][/quote]

Now, I'm more confused than usual. Hope my DOS for DUMMIES gets here soon. I don't have a clue what a autoexec.bat and so forth is. How the heck does someone learn this stuff. I'm too far from town to take any class. What about that guy that sells a computer course on t.v.?? I came to computers very late in life and if it weren't for RPG's, I probably would never have messed with them. DUH...

This is awful. You folks are trying to help me and without knowing the terms and what they mean, it's usuless. I know I have a bunch of memory available on the DOS/Gateway. It says there is 79% available. I don't use these machines for much more than playing games. And, I clear all files/cookies and defrag. But, still, without knowing much more...I'm lost....

Heck, I don't even know how to copy and paste.

Old 26-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
Saphire
Abandonia nerd

Well, I'm afraid no one can really help you there except yourself. To be able to use something you'll have to learn about it, because if you rely on others to help you earlier or later you'll stumble over another problem and will need help again. As of my own example, I can say that I had to learn a lot back then in the Ms-Dos times when I got my first computer, and it payed off even for today as it gave me more advanced knowledge of computers than many poor newbies that appear here from time to time could or care to imagine.
Not that I really need it that much, all I wanted in the first place is just to play some interesting computer RPG's I saw my boyfriend playing on his own PC
Saphire is offline                         Send a private message to Saphire
Old 26-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #13

You're so right. I got off easy (and lazy) by being able to play computer games that came out after Might and Magic V. Just knowing "some" computer stuff, enough to be able to fix crashes and patch, and keep my computer healthy, was all the smarts I needed to play games. But, some of my "bundles" have some great old DOS games. And now, Zeen.

So after Oblivion and the Buggy Gothic 3....me and Zeen are gonna go 'round. By then, with the help of my, COMPUTERS FOR DUMMIES, and DOS FOR DUMMIES I should have a better handle on things. At least enough smarts, that when you nice folks try to help me, I'll understand what you're trying to get across.

Thanks..... PS.. Did someone help you with DOS or are you self taught??

Old 26-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
Saphire
Abandonia nerd

QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 26 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]268783[/snapback]
Quote:
Thanks..... PS.. Did someone help you with DOS or are you self taught??[/b]
Well my boyfriend helped me first from times to times with this and that, but later I mostly had to inform myself. There was this help.com that came with Ms-Dos that listed all Ms-Dos associated programs and commans and their options which helped me a lot, and much trial and error was needed also, for example to get Ultima 8 to run with the new Soundblaster 16 :P
Dos is just not like Windows, it's more simple but requires you to do much more "dirty work" yourself, when you're working with Dos you're more directly engaged with the software, hardware and the output before you than it's the case in Windows that takes much work off you by doing things automatically and often hidden, producing only the result of work done.

In a way the experience to work with Ms-Dos was something unique that's missed for the newcomers today who start off with Windows, I think. They (and they are many I noticed) have it easy from the beginning on and get used to it being easy, thus they know not even 10% of their own PC as Windows takes care of it all. Ms-Dos is different, it's there to steer your computer but it takes only minimal work off you. You need to do everything yourself for it to run well and smoothly and you have also fortunately more control of your PC than in Windows. Go figure.
I think I'll try Linux one day to see if it's really so much better than Windows like people say :P
Saphire is offline                         Send a private message to Saphire
Old 27-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Now, I'm more confused than usual. Hope my DOS for DUMMIES gets here soon. I don't have a clue what a autoexec.bat and so forth is.[/b]
Autoexec.bat and Config.sys are two files used by DOS when it starts. They contain all the information about what drivers to load etc.
Anyway, if you're lucky you'll never have to mess with them.

My old machine once needed some modifications to these two files so that I'd have a larger quota of base memory to run Flashback with both music and sound... it was hell to get that all to work right, but in the end I learned a couple things.

Quote:
How the heck does someone learn this stuff.[/b]
Trial. Error. Trial. Error. Smashing head against the wall. Trial. Error. Trial. Error. Depression. Trial. Error. Trial. Success. :P
No, really. Most of the basics are easy to learn, but if you start messing with more advanced things... well, that's where the hard part begins.

Quote:
I'm too far from town to take any class. What about that guy that sells a computer course on t.v.??[/b]
Don't bother. Nowadays they don't even teach anything about DOS on most computer courses.
It's better to spend this time reading the books you've ordered on the subject and the links found in Wikipedia DOS article

Quote:
This is awful. You folks are trying to help me and without knowing the terms and what they mean, it's usuless. I know I have a bunch of memory available on the DOS/Gateway. It says there is 79% available. I don't use these machines for much more than playing games. And, I clear all files/cookies and defrag. But, still, without knowing much more...I'm lost....[/b]
Hey, I was too, back in the days. The biggest problem with DOS is believing you can learn to use it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #16
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

And then there's Computerhope http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm
and this one http://w3.aces.uiuc.edu/AIM/CCSOcourses/DOS-rev.html

Of course, DOS came in different versions, with sliigtly different ways of doing things, but the basics and most of it I believe, will be the same all over.
Old 28-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #17
Taarna

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 27 2006, 12:34 AM) [snapback]268865[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
Now, I'm more confused than usual. Hope my DOS for DUMMIES gets here soon. I don't have a clue what a autoexec.bat and so forth is.[/b]
Autoexec.bat and Config.sys are two files used by DOS when it starts. They contain all the information about what drivers to load etc.
Anyway, if you're lucky you'll never have to mess with them.

My old machine once needed some modifications to these two files so that I'd have a larger quota of base memory to run Flashback with both music and sound... it was hell to get that all to work right, but in the end I learned a couple things.

Quote:
How the heck does someone learn this stuff.[/b]
Trial. Error. Trial. Error. Smashing head against the wall. Trial. Error. Trial. Error. Depression. Trial. Error. Trial. Success. :P
No, really. Most of the basics are easy to learn, but if you start messing with more advanced things... well, that's where the hard part begins.

Quote:
I'm too far from town to take any class. What about that guy that sells a computer course on t.v.??[/b]
Don't bother. Nowadays they don't even teach anything about DOS on most computer courses.
It's better to spend this time reading the books you've ordered on the subject and the links found in Wikipedia DOS article

Quote:
This is awful. You folks are trying to help me and without knowing the terms and what they mean, it's usuless. I know I have a bunch of memory available on the DOS/Gateway. It says there is 79% available. I don't use these machines for much more than playing games. And, I clear all files/cookies and defrag. But, still, without knowing much more...I'm lost....[/b]
Hey, I was too, back in the days. The biggest problem with DOS is believing you can learn to use it.
[/b]
That last line is scary. "The biggest problem" say it isn't so.

How do you avoid messing with autoexe and bats and stuff if they're there when DOS boots?

With Xeen, I loaded both games, (read on a forum you need both games loaded to play) even following directions for Start, Run and so forth. Typed as instructed and....nothing. A black screen with some white printing appeared and a blinking white line. (reminded me of Safe Mode) Didn't have a clue what it was for, since the manual didn't say anything about it. Can figure out most Win95/98, XP stuff, without ever calling a tech, but don't have a clue how to tweak or mess with DOS that would allow me to play a game.

Don't know why Xeen wouldn't play. When it was being installed, all the little bars, marched across the screen. It utimately told me my games were loaded. The only thing I couldn't do was pick one of the three choices regarding amount of install. I tried the Y..N..arrow keys and so forth, but couldn't make any changes. I wanted a full intall anyway, so it really didn't matter. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

When the game didn't play, I couldn't figure out how to get out of DOS.....duh...so I turned it off at the switch. Oh Well... Once back in Windows, I thought to delete the two games and try reinstalling. But, I can't find them anywhere. Not in program files, folders, or anywhere else I could think to look. Does DOS stuff hide somewhere I'm not aware of??

Any ideas about that one. Where would one look for a game installed for DOS????

Well, even though you've beaten your head against the wall, on numerous occasions, you all seem to be merrily playing DOS games. Although, with some of the other comments, I don't know how you managed to learn the darn thing.

So, between your auto's and bats, and DOS Boxes, I'm gonna go watch the Northern Lights until my DOS book gets here. Then I will read my book, all your helpful hints and jump into the Artic Ocean. Taking my DOS games with me. Just kidding. I'll just throw the games and book into the ocean. Whoops, the enviornment, can't do that either. Wanna buy a book........cheap.

Couldn't get out of DOS, turned it off at switch.....how pathetic. Be happy.
Taarna is offline                         Send a private message to Taarna
Old 28-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
How do you avoid messing with autoexe and bats and stuff if they're there when DOS boots?[/b]
Well, modifying them is only really neccesary when you need specific driver configuration, eg disabling CD-Rom support or expanded/extended memory managers. Most likely you won't have to deal with them.

Quote:
That last line is scary. "The biggest problem" say it isn't so.[/b]
Once you stop doubting your abilities, it turns out easier then it looked.

Quote:
Any ideas about that one. Where would one look for a game installed for DOS????[/b]
In the root of your C drive, most likely.

Quote:
Although, with some of the other comments, I don't know how you managed to learn the darn thing.[/b]
Sheer persistence, mostly. And whaddadya know, it works.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #19

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 28 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]269094[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
How do you avoid messing with autoexe and bats and stuff if they're there when DOS boots?[/b]
Well, modifying them is only really neccesary when you need specific driver configuration, eg disabling CD-Rom support or expanded/extended memory managers. Most likely you won't have to deal with them.

Quote:
That last line is scary. "The biggest problem" say it isn't so.[/b]
Once you stop doubting your abilities, it turns out easier then it looked.

Quote:
Any ideas about that one. Where would one look for a game installed for DOS????[/b]
In the root of your C drive, most likely.

Quote:
Although, with some of the other comments, I don't know how you managed to learn the darn thing.[/b]
Sheer persistence, mostly. And whaddadya know, it works.
[/b]

This'll make your day. How do I get to the "root of my C drive. Right and left clicked on it. No DOS games or Xeen for that matter. thanks

Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #20
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Root of drive: what you get when you double-click on the drive in Windows Explorer.

If you can't find the directory in the root of your drive, try using Windows' search function to locate any files modified the day you installed the game.

-- Reed Richards