Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Taarna

Angry

Played rpg's for more years than I care to count, and in all this time managed to avoid DOS games. Desperately needed a Might and Magic fix, so I found a perfect, two cd ... World of Xeen. I have a new computer, but keep my old 450 to replay my great older games. It does boot up in DOS....I don't. I did try to install the game with the instructions in the (few page) manual, but, it may as well be written in Martian.

Not TOTALLY computer ignorant, but DOS has always eluded me.. I have searched forums and web sites for someone answering a "DOS FOR DUMMIES" type question, but no luck. I see something about DOS BOX, which confuses me even more.

I've heard that Xeen can be played using XP, if you tweak something. Is this true..is it hard to do..is it worth the trouble or would learning how to run DOS games be the way to go. If I learn DOS, just think of all the great older games I could get and play. WHEEEEE

Please take pity on this "DOS DUMMY". Any advice, links, tutorials, whatever, will earn my undying gratitude. I'll name you in my will and leave you all my rpg's...for all systems waaaaay back to the Super NES.

Send a personal e mail if you wish...thanks
Taarna is offline                         Send a private message to Taarna
Old 23-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

First things first, I advise you to get Norton Commander (or its clone Volkov Commander). It's a DOS file manager with pretty functional GUI, very handy.

You can get it from our programs and utilities page - scroll down to the bottom to find it.

As for DOS commands, DosBox uses pretty much the same stuff (except for its' internal programs, but I doubt that's what you had in mind)

Quote:
Originally posted by DosBox Wiki
Directory Navigation

cd [Path]

[Path] may be an absolute path or a relative path.

Typing cd without parameters shows you the current working directory. It consists of a drive letter (see below) and a path. You should be familiar with paths from your favorite operating system - they work the same in DOS.

An absolute path starts with the drive letter, followed by a colon ( and a backslash (\), followed by all directories leading to the target directory separated by a backslash \.

A relative path refers to directories relative to your current working directory. For example, if your current working directory is C:\MYGAMES\, you could address the directory C:\MYGAMES\NEATGAME with NEATGAME or .\NEATGAME ("." refers your current working directory).

Examples

cd games
Changes into the directory called "games".

cd ..
Goes one level up.

cd \ or
cd\
Goes to the root directory of the current drive.

Creating directories

md [name] (also mkdir [name])

Creates a directory

[name] Can be either a relatively addressed name, or an absolute path.

Examples

md neatgame
Creates a directory named "neatgame" under the current working directory

md C
\GAMES\NEATGAME : Creates a directory named "neatgame" under the directory C:\GAMES. Note that C:\GAMES must already exist.

Removing directories

rd [directory] (also rmdir [directory])

Removes the directory directory. Addressing works the same as for md
Changing Drive

[Drive Letter]:

[Drive Letter]
The symbolic name of an emulated hard drive.

Examples

Z: Changes to the internal DOSBox drive.
Working with Files

Addressing a file works the same as addressing a path - you can address a file both absolutely and relatively (and thus, depending on your current working directory).
The file neat.exe in directory C:\MYGAMES\NEATGAME can be addressed by C:\MYGAMES\NEATGAME\neat.exe (absolute).
Or, having your current working directory set to C:\MYGAMES, the file can be addressed by .\NEATGAME\neat.exe.
Listing the Contents of a Directory

dir

This shows all the files and directories in the current directory.
Switches Available

/ad
List all directories (DOSBox CVS)

/p
Pause after each screen

/w
Write directory and file names across screen, before down

Copying Files

copy [Source] [Target]

[Source]
specifies your source file (remember? both absolute and relative addresses are possible.)

[Target]
specifies the target where the Source should be copied. Note that you can either specify a target directory or a target file. It's also possible to use wildcards (see below)

Examples

copy C
\GAMES\NEATGAME\neat.exe C:\BACKUP: Copies the file C:\GAMES\NEATGAME\neat.exe to C:\BACKUP

Deleting Files

del [File]

Deletes one or more files.

[File]
Specifies the file (addressed absolutely or relatively) to be deleted. Note that you can use wildcards (see below) to delete multiple files at once.

Examples

del C
\GAMES\NEATGAME\neat.exe : Deletes the file neat.exe

Wildcards

As mentioned above, it is possible to address more than one file using wildcards. Wildcards replace one or more numbers or characters in a filename.

Generally, there are two wildcards in DOS - The asterix (*) and the question mark (?).
The asterix (*) stands in for any number (including zero) or characters, whereas the question mark (?) stands in for exactly one character per question mark.

Examples

The dir - command lists the following files in the current directory:

2NDFIX.EXE
FCINFO10.TXT
README.1ST
REALITY.FC
SECOND.EXE

del *.exe
deletes 2NDFIX.EXE and SECOND.EXE

del *.*
deletes every file

del R*.*
deletes README.1ST and REALITY.FC

del RE????.*
deletes only README.1ST (because it's the only filename starting with RE and having 4 more characters in its name)

del RE????.1ST
does the same

Running Programs

To run a program, just type the name of the executable file, minus its extension. Executable files have one of the following three extensions:

.EXE .COM .BAT

Note: Most programs require that your current working directory is set to the directory containing the program executable
But when you use Norton Commander, using the command line to move around becomes obsolete.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Taarna

Wow...that was one complete reply. But, like I said, I'm not totally computer ignorant. I CAN TURN IT ON AND OFF REAL GOOD....I've heard the terms you use, but I never did anything that needed them. So, sadly, I still don't have a clue. Paths, exe files...eee gads.

BUT, I just got off Amazon. There actually was a book, DOS for DUMMIES. Couldn't believe it. I got the one put out in 98. It cost $1.49 + s/h. (used)

So, for less than 5 bucks, with my Dummy book and your great suggestions I may figure this out.

Really appreciate it.. Thanks

P.S. Once I read the book, I'll probably be more confused than ever. Hope you're still posting when I write again.
Old 23-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you need explanations:

Path: Imagine a road. From that road, others branch out, more branch out from them etc. This is the structure of directories (or folders as they are sometimes called) on your hard drive. In this context, "path" means the complete location of the file or directory on the drive, much like an adress.
If you say you live on Somestreet 23/4 Ohio, Nebraska, USA it's a very similar kind of instruction.
Let's say the path to a file is C:\GAMES\FPS\QUAKE . This tells the computer as follows:
- the file is on drive C:
- from drive C, to GAMES directory
- from GAMES, to FPS
- from FPS to QUAKE.

If you wanted to enter that path, you would either enter:
C:
CD GAMES
CD FPS
CD QUAKE

or complete path:
CD C:\GAMES\FPS\QUAKE

So, CD command is like telling your computer to "ride into" the directory, like someone would tell you to "drive down the Blue st.". When you use "CD ..", it's like they told you "drive back to Blake st.". Finally, when you use "CD \" it's like you were told to "go back to the highway". I hope you can understand it easier with this analogy.

Executable: The executable files are files that contain program code your computer can "understand" and thus launch the program contained within, be it a game, mouse driver or anything else. That's about as simple as I can explain it.

In case you have any further questions, I'm here to help. A few years ago I've been in the same position you are now.

Right now, my best reccomendation is that you get your computer to a more tech-savy friend and ask him to set up Norton Commander on it.
Trust me, this will help you a lot.
Norton displays the contents of your current directory, so DIR command is not neccesary and many of the other commands are accessible through a system of menus. You can use mouse with it, too - almost like Windows (and in some ways actually better).
It may be look ugly and not be the easiest thing to use, but it's much better then havng to do everything from the command line.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Taarna

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 23 2006, 05:05 AM) [snapback]268436[/snapback]
Quote:
If you need explanations:

Path: Imagine a road. From that road, others branch out, more branch out from them etc. This is the structure of directories (or folders as they are sometimes called) on your hard drive. In this context, "path" means the complete location of the file or directory on the drive, much like an adress.
If you say you live on Somestreet 23/4 Ohio, Nebraska, USA it's a very similar kind of instruction.
Let's say the path to a file is C:\GAMES\FPS\QUAKE . This tells the computer as follows:
- the file is on drive C:
- from drive C, to GAMES directory
- from GAMES, to FPS
- from FPS to QUAKE.

If you wanted to enter that path, you would either enter:
C:
CD GAMES
CD FPS
CD QUAKE

or complete path:
CD C:\GAMES\FPS\QUAKE

So, CD command is like telling your computer to "ride into" the directory, like someone would tell you to "drive down the Blue st.". When you use "CD ..", it's like they told you "drive back to Blake st.". Finally, when you use "CD \" it's like you were told to "go back to the highway". I hope you can understand it easier with this analogy.

Executable: The executable files are files that contain program code your computer can "understand" and thus launch the program contained within, be it a game, mouse driver or anything else. That's about as simple as I can explain it.

In case you have any further questions, I'm here to help. A few years ago I've been in the same position you are now.

Right now, my best reccomendation is that you get your computer to a more tech-savy friend and ask him to set up Norton Commander on it.
Trust me, this will help you a lot.
Norton displays the contents of your current directory, so DIR command is not neccesary and many of the other commands are accessible through a system of menus. You can use mouse with it, too - almost like Windows (and in some ways actually better).
It may be look ugly and not be the easiest thing to use, but it's much better then havng to do everything from the command line.
[/b]
Old 24-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Umm... what did you want to ask, exactly?

-- Reed Richards
Old 24-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Taarna

Tech savy friend....I wish. Would've picked their brain long ago. Not too many folks out here are into RPG's quite like I am. Or computers for that matter. Main reason I mess with computers is for RPG's, since the other console RPS's aren't quite the same.

DOS was going out of favor when I switched to computer games and with Might and Magic VI, it was so easy to plop in a disc, point/ click, a few keys now and then, and off you go. Things I use a computer for don't require doing the things you refer to. Until recently I had a time unzipping game patches. Duh ???

Your notes are very helpful. I'd heard about the DOS Box, but, why would I want to use the Box when I have my old 450, that boots to DOS with the DOS prompt?

Does the Box do something that my DOS computer won't?? DOS is already on the old Gateway, and I wouldn't have to figure out how to install it on XP. Also, I might not have the sound issues and some other
issues I read about using the old CPU vs XP.. What do you think.

Thanks again

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 24 2006, 02:26 AM) [snapback]268555[/snapback]
Quote:

Umm... what did you want to ask, exactly?
[/b]

I wanted to know if there was a quick way to get into playing DOS if you know NOTHING about it. Is seems I know even less than I thought. Terms and whatnot that I never bothered to learn about are needed to understand DOS. But, I got a book coming and your helpful explanation to boot. bye
Old 24-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Taarna

I Googled for Norton Commander. There's more than one version. One for Win 95 and one for XP, a version 5.0 and 5.5

Which one??
Old 24-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Does the Box do something that my DOS computer won't?? DOS is already on the old Gateway, and I wouldn't have to figure out how to install it on XP. Also, I might not have the sound issues and some other
issues I read about using the old CPU vs XP.. What do you think.[/b]
Let me explain it this way:
DosBox emulates a more-or-less-complete machine with DOS. You can easily regulate the speed at which it is running, which comes useful with some of the old games. It also offers graphics scaling, in other words resizing the screen and running certain filters on the image so that the games look a tad better then they normally did.
There are several DosBox frontend programs that make it much easier to run, too.
Using VDMSound to run games is easy too - right-click on the executable and click on "Run with VDMSound".

So in some cases they are better then the real thing. On the other hand, neither of the emulators is perfect. A few games just won't work in either, and some may crash every now and then.

An actual DOS machine gives full compatibility, which is a nice thing.

Oh, yes... this may be useful too.

Quote:
I wanted to know if there was a quick way to get into playing DOS if you know NOTHING about it. [/b]
Norton is the closest there is to that, unfortunately.

Don't worry. Using DOS looks more complicated then it really is.

Quote:
I Googled for Norton Commander. There's more than one version. One for Win 95 and one for XP, a version 5.0 and 5.5

Which one??[/b]
Neither. You need one that works under DOS. Like the one here
But if you feel like using Total Commander on your Windows system (it's based on pretty much the same principles), I can wholeheartedly approve. Been using that for seven years now, and got no complaints.

-- Reed Richards
Old 24-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
Saphire
Abandonia nerd

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 24 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]268560[/snapback]
Quote:
An actual DOS machine gives full compatibility, which is a nice thing.[/b]
That's true, but not entirely. Some games require more "conventional" memory (a term from the Dos times) than others, some are even hard to get to run without advanced "meddling" with Ms-Dos' options, and you'll need to mess around with your autoexec.bat and config.sys files to press out that little bit more of conventional memory that's needed, which is anything other than simple if you have no idea of Ms-Dos.
So in a way DosBox is quite simplier to use than Dos, you just need to edit the file dosbox.conf, set there anything DosBox has to offer as you like it, and use few simple commands to get a game to run. The downsides are that you need a pretty fast PC for it to run the more complex games, and that not all games are supported or they run only partially good.
Saphire is offline                         Send a private message to Saphire