Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-06-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
cheesegrater
Game freak

Is there a web site that rescues ebayers after they made bad purchases and need somebody to outbid them? Like a message board where people post the item they are bidding on, a story about how they do not want the item anymore, and a plea asking someone to outbid them?
Old 24-06-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Oh, dear! What have you done now?
Seriously, I doubt it. I believe normal laws and regulations apply to online auctions and general purchase. You make a bid, it stands until someone out-bids you.
PUNCH LINE: Your only hope, I guess, is that someone else wants that item badly! I don't think there's such a thing as an auction Mother Theresa.
Old 24-06-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
cheesegrater
Game freak

Hahahaha!! There should be!

I am not really interested in laws and regulations but in a kind community that helps out n00b eBayers. Like a second eBay site where all the items currently have winning bids made by stupid people who need help managing their money. After buying the item you also get satisfaction that you helped some poor soul.

I bought so much stuff I have to sneak it into the house!
Old 24-06-2006, 02:43 AM   #4
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

If you win this item, you can always sell it again on eBay.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 24-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Quote:
If you win this item, you can always sell it again on eBay.[/b]
For a profit! :w00t:
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 24-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
a1s
Hero Gamer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Jun 24 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]239348[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
For a profit! :w00t:
[/b]
that's not very likely- if people wanted to give more money for it than you then they would, but at leat hopefuly the loss will be minimal.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 24-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Na, you just need to be willing to sit on it long enough till you get your price. Keep recycling it until your minimum is met. Eventually someone will show up who wants it bad enough. (Theoriticly)

The idea of a board where you could solicit to be outbid is kinda funny to me. So you go on this board, say "Hey, I bid on this but I really don't want it. Does anyone want to pay more for it." Guarenteed responce? "If i wanted it, I'd out bid you for it, so what's the point in asking like this?" And then you hang your head and cry.

You could try e-mailing the seller. If they're nice enough they'll take the object off auction and start again. If they're a jerk, give them a negative review.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 24-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #8
Hamster of Doom
Abandonia nerd

I think, such a board would die a short time after it was created. It would be a place, where all the sellers go, that try to get higher prices in their auctions by using multiple accounts. When they made the mistake to push the bids so high that every real customer ran away, they would use their fake account in that forum and say: "Ooooh! I´m new to ebay and I made a huge mistake to bid on this. Can somebody help me? Pleeeeaaaaase?". And then they would hope for some kind fool, who says: "Oh well....I always wanted item XYZ. You asked so nicely, so I´ll help you. I´m always willing to help a newbie, so I´ll buy it, even if it costs 50% more than it´s actually worth."
Of course this example is a bit extreme, but in way this would be how it would go.

Quote:
You could try e-mailing the seller. If they're nice enough they'll take the object off auction and start again. If they're a jerk, give them a negative review.[/b]
I disagree with this, especially with the last sentence. Of course he can ask, but in 99,9% the answer will be a simple "no", I suppose. There is a reason, that ebay asks you, if you´re sure about what you´re doing, when you place a bid. Auctions on ebay aren´t a game. If someone bids to much on an item, it´s his own fault.

If I would be the seller I would also say no. If I sell things on a flea market, someone buys something and then asks me, if I would be so kind to take it back, then I might say yes, because it doesn´t cost me money. And that´s the difference to selling things on ebay. In that case the buyer asks me to pay money because he had not thought about what he was doing before he placed his bid. And I can´t be sure, that the others, who were also interested in my auction, will bid again in my next auction. They might have bought the thing already from somebody else. Maybe in the next auction I´ll have to sell it for a much lower price or in the worst case I can not sell it at all and loose money again.

And if the buyer gives a negative review, I´m sure the seller will call ebay for help (and surely also give the buyer a negative review). And what should the buyer say, why he gave a negative review? "Well, I won the auction because I placed a really high bid. And after that the seller really wanted me to pay this high price for it! Now that´s really bad!" <_<
Hamster of Doom is offline                         Send a private message to Hamster of Doom
Old 25-06-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There are circumstances in which you can withdraw your bid. Check the 'Help' pages of ebay.com. (I don't feel like translating the whole bit from the dutch site). It's a bit frowned upon, since you have to acknowledge your bid three times, so they presume you know what you're doing, but if you've got a good reason (like typing 99.50 istead of 9.95) then you might qualify... It will be mentioned in your feedback though...
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup